Local Beach: Christ Church
Favorite Beaches: Silver Rock Barbados - home
Style: Fun
Gear: Strapless Wave, Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Moses Onda with 330 Stabilizer

Postby rolfjoosten » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi guys

I recently got my Onda 633 and went out on it a few times. The front foot pressure is definitely beyond anything else I rode so far so I am wondering if the setup could be more neutral with a smaller stabilizer. The hole pattern seems to match so it would be a straight swap from my Fluente 550 setup.
Did anyone try this already and what was the experience?
Thanks in advance

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Moses Onda with 330 Stabilizer

Postby tomtom » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Change mast position - more to rear

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:42 pm

A smaller stabilizer will only help sligthly...

Might be fun in terms of a more lively hydrofoil in terms of turning though, but off topic.

Try shimming the stab as the first thing.

Then you can also shim the fuselage/mast to get the wing further rear, but will also give you a "nose up" riding posture, which you might or might not like.

Assume moving the mast more rear on whatever board you have is not an option, as otherwise you would have done that straight away.

Strapless would solve everything - but must assume you dont like that...

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:03 am

Rolf,

I'm on 633 and 2016 fluente mast. Came from 590 and 550 wings.
I'm using foothooks, but they are positioned rather far forward and back, so I'm not restricted by them while riding. My front foot is never so far forward to touch the foothook. Nor the back foot. So essentially I'm strapless.

I've switched boards from 590 to 633, but I can measure where my feet are in relation to the mast plate and what I've discovered is that my feet move around more on the 633. I'm moving feet depending on wind, waves, bearing, and how much seaweed is stuck on the wing. The difference in forward stance is minimal.

What this tells me is that I can't understand how anyone can be using straps on this kind of wing! if you lock your feet into position, you're missing 80% of the versatility.

So take off your straps using the 633. If you don't have straps you can just shift forward. The 633 is super agile with the standard stab wing.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:08 pm

or-
this is what I did before changing to a board with tracks, and before I had my Moses T60 customised by installing tracks.
simply do not use your rear strap, have it there as a handle for moving the board around and for steadying the board just before you start off, but then just before you dive the kite remove your rear foot to just in front of the rear strap.
this works very well, and you do find you will be moving your rear foot around quite a lot, which does help you get really comfortable no matter your speed, or wind strength, or wave positioning.
even now with a board with tracks I never ever use the back strap to sail around.
better out than in for me!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Hmmm, I have been thinking about the many post saying the trim is altered quite some on the 633.

When strapless no issue unless you got a supershort board.

On a very similar wing, the Ketos 1200 cm2 Surf wing I dont move my feet around more than on my 790 cm2 wave wing (strapless that is), and I stand in the same place on both btw, not any noticeable difference.

This is on purpose, so one can use straps (or hooks) if desired.

Meaning the trailing edge of the wing is moved back (because on both big wings the chord is a lot wider) and the AOA set so you got the same neutral trim.

My take on this difference is, the 633 sticks further out in front of the mast and might have a bit higher AOA too - both will make you need loads of front foot pressure (or another strap/hook trim).

On the Moses, I can see the 633 trailing edge is at the same position as other wings, and I would think the AOA is slightly bigger too - meaning you have to move forward for a neutral trim.

Just some deduction to understand why they are different in terms of having the same trim or not :D

Here my smallest wavewing (used mostly for jumping nowadays where we use bigger wavewings in waves) where you can see the trailing edge is a bit in front of the mast:

And here you can see the 1200 or in this case the 1400 cm2 wing, how the trailing edge is moved back, to keep the balance point like with the other wings:

Shimming the 633 stab a bit will help a little indeed, but at some point it wont work well when too much AOA so it eventually lifts up maybe :roll:

Above explains the difference - both wings works awesome and can only be recommended for the surfy style of riding when lighter winds at least, but you have to move the Moses back on some tracks, or shim the fuselage if possible, or stand further forward if strapless - maybe add an extension pad :thumb:

Back to your post Tom - as said I dont move my feet around more when on the 1200 cm2 than on the smaller wings, so straps would work just fine - eventhough like you say, "Why use straps" on such wings???
I could ask the same, why use hooks when you dont stand in them anyways - your strap/hookless waterstart skills will get really bad/slow if you use the hooks only for this, and you will miss the sensation and advantages of having a clean deck - it just feels good :naughty:

8) PF

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:43 pm

I have 633 and dont need to move my feet at all. Riding strapless or centre front strap only in very light /just for easier start/. Same position always - just angling front foot on different courses.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Peter - it wasnt Tom who wrote it - it was Foil - different dude :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:10 pm

tomtom wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:44 pm
Peter - it wasnt Tom who wrote it - it was Foil - different dude :)

But it was Tom I meant, and maybe also foil yes.

Good to hear others that don't move their feet more when using bigger wings.

Some do apparently, others don't.

But I think the trim issue is located, that was my main point :D

8) PF

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:50 pm

Yea :) - it was just joke attempt

Return to “Hydrofoil”