jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dolphins

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:06 am

Oooooh I really hope that wasn't a serious question.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:39 am

Beneath the foil, a subtle pressure maybe , something they can feel. Obviously not really something that would push them along like a wave.
If it wasn’t happening on other boards, but now often with foil, maybe there is that component attracting them beyond visual curiosity..

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:06 am

Greenturtle wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:44 pm
Dolphins ride boat wakes and in front of ships noses just for fun - is it possible that the foil creates a somewhat rideable ripple for them to draft on?
No they just like fun.
A race or a game of chicken or a surf or just to check us out.
D6EC12DB-4427-4AAD-812F-796BE5CB6E73.jpeg

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:31 am

I’d love to have that happen, but the bottle nose dolphins at OBX dive away when I approach kitesurfing. Maybe a foil will be different one day. I have twice had dolphins cruise just below and in front of me when riding a directional in Cape Town, while on downwinders and going far out to round the rocks to Big Bay. They were magical, but far too brief. On the other hand, I hit the dorsal fin of a large hammerhead shark off Hatteras Village at OBX, only realized it as it happened, and did not go back to check it out! My only whale encounters were sad ones, tracking an injured southern right whale up the coast from Table Bay, only to find it washed up and dying just past Haakgat at Holsbaai, and finding a dead whale on OBX between Salvo and Avon.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 am

Laughingman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:29 pm
ap888 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:14 am
I am super jelious... my main spot in Lake Huron Great Lakes no dolphins here :cry: I really love the fresh water compared to salt but kiting with intelligent big fish :D you lucky
LOL like sharks?
I ride mostly at a spot I affectionately call Shark Park. I used to keep track of how many I hit with my twintip in shallow water, around 1-2' deep. Several years ago I got bit on the knee while fishing. After three days of pain and suffering, the shark died.. :lol:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:07 am

Greenturtle wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:44 pm
Dolphins ride boat wakes and in front of ships noses just for fun - is it possible that the foil creates a somewhat rideable ripple for them to draft on?

gigibianchi
Rare Poster
Gear: LF

Postby gigibianchi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:19 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:52 pm
Over the years of windsurfing and kitesurfing I have seen lots of dolphins in the water, but they just ignored me and kept on their way.

In the last fews weeks dolphins have frequently come under my foil and cruised along. Yesterday two of them were so close they knocked me off the foil. I was in the water and there were 5-6 dolphins swirling around. It was a little scary and amazing at the same time.

Another kite foiler has had a similar experience and a wind foiler in the same area reported a dolphin cruising under his foil. Are others having similar experiences? It's almost becoming normal to foil with the dolphins.
where do you hydrofoil precisely ?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:58 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 am

I ride mostly at a spot I affectionately call Shark Park. I used to keep track of how many I hit with my twintip in shallow water, around 1-2' deep. Several years ago I got bit on the knee while fishing. After three days of pain and suffering, the shark died.. :lol:
WOW, I don't think I could even go into the water. I know its not like they are hunting people but just a curiosity nibble is enough to kill... glad he didn't make it, one less to worry about.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:58 pm
JakeFarley wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 am

WOW, I don't think I could even go into the water. I know its not like they are hunting people but just a curiosity nibble is enough to kill... glad he didn't make it, one less to worry about.
I think the shark dying was tongue firmly in cheek

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:58 pm

The dolphins do sometimes appear to use wakes to get them where they are going.
We have had them using ours but a change in direction and they go.

Return to “Hydrofoil”