Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

For an absolute newbie

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: For an absolute newbie

Postby tomtom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:30 pm

Amen to that. Basic TT or SB riding and "without looking" kite control are essential. Wild vipeouts are good indication of inadequate kite skills. You must know what your kite is doing while falling.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:52 pm

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 pm

There:
But more important: the foil has some dangerous aspects to it, in particular if you happen to wrap lines on the foil, where it can become very serious, even life threatening.

This is something I would have never thought of myself.
I knew risks included (possibly serious) cuts and impacts, but it didn't occur to me lines could get wrapped on the foil and become so dangerous. I never even read of it before.

Thanks for reporting it: it... puts the thing in a different perspective, and begins to lend acceptability to a surfboard as a first step.

Lopi

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 pm

azoele wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 pm
There:
But more important: the foil has some dangerous aspects to it, in particular if you happen to wrap lines on the foil, where it can become very serious, even life threatening.

This is something I would have never thought of myself.
I knew risks included (possibly serious) cuts and impacts, but it didn't occur to me lines could get wrapped on the foil and become so dangerous. I never even read of it before.

Thanks for reporting it: it... puts the thing in a different perspective, and begins to lend acceptability to a surfboard as a first step.

Lopi
Sorry to be the downer or wet blanket ... "Captain Safety" strikes again. :( Try searching variations of "kite foil death looping" to find some reports or videos. It usually happens when someone wipes out and the foil launches into the lines. Then a line wraps, such that the safety release no longer works, the kite loops, and then the kiter hurtles through the sky tied to an axe. There are some horrifying videos.

It could be these reports aren't that common because virtually no one pursues this the way you are proposing to ... a kite newbie also trying to foil at the same time. It's nearly always a competent kiter who then attempts to add foil to the repetoire. My kiting mentor's mantra was: "it's all about the kite".

Whichever way you go, play safe!

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:15 pm

I am surprised to hear that some of you managed to avoid getting the foil in the kite lines. I thought it was an inevitable (and definitely dangerous), part of learning.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:27 pm

opie wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:15 pm
I am surprised to hear that some of you managed to avoid getting the foil in the kite lines. I thought it was an inevitable (and definitely dangerous), part of learning.

You are right, it is a thing that WILL happen to almost everyone some day, dont have to be when learning only....

8) PF

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Tough but doable... Use a big board with the hydrofoil - Enough volume so that it will support your weight standing up. A big surf wing will help you with your water starts. Beyond that, a big kite... A fly surfer soul 18M could be a nice alternative to a big heavy LEI. One back loop of the kite to get you standing followed immediately by a second back loop to get you foiling.

Kiting is as much about your kite skills as your board skills and the time learning the twintip is developing your kite skills. Hydrofoil really benefits from kite looping skills.

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:27 pm

Here is a video for the beginner foiler. Take a look.
https://youtu.be/qA_k8qK71vc

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 am

If you are going to try and learn to foil before learning to ride a TT or surfboard you for sure need to start with the Slingshot 38 cm or 44 cm masts. Anything else is just going to take you forever to learn.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:09 am

Hello all,

I followed the "safest" advice (who says forums are not helpful?), and found me a 32L North Nugget 5.5 2014.
I was told it is a very good surf for beginners, and so bit the bullet; it also looks almost pristine.

Of course, after days on end with wind (but without a table/surf), now I got the surf, all the gear ready, and all we got is heavy rain :D
Gotta love this sport :)

Thanks all,
Lopi

Return to “Hydrofoil”