A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Hallelujah

Postby Macster » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:52 am

Finally after 18 months of off and on foiling I can do a toe side down loop without touching down and then back to heel side still up on the foil.

I still haven't quite managed a jibe up on the foil but I'm doing them ok if I ride the board on the water.

Can't wait to nail jibes properly, I foil in 5-6 knots quite a lot so it will be good to keep the momemtum going and not touching down.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Hallelujah

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Congrats. That is super light wind...... I find that way harder. EDIT: I can't really ride at all under 8 knots, and that is plenty iffy.

All my transitions started as surface moves. Just keep doing them and organically you will fly through more and more.

Watching video is helpful, for both the gross mechanics and to get a sense of the pace and timing. Thats generally the key to getting you flying through

Mechanics first, then with practice comes the pace.

Not sure if this is helpful in your case, but one realization that really helped me was to keep my gaze up and out of the boat. You generally go where you look, so looking down at your feet is a non starter.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Cool, and impressive you can ride in 5-6 knots, THAT is low wind, even most of the best ones are not able to ride in 5 knots at all :wink:

Assume you are quite light and got a really big UL foilkite, right?

Anyways, being able for the first times to do a foiling carve, and back, is sooooo amazing and rewarding indeed :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8) PF

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:42 am

Thanks guys. Good pointers on the don't look at your feet, something I am guilty of...

I have a couple of flysurfer souls 8m and 12m. If I can just park the kite at 11am or 1pm on land it is usually around 5-6 knots (according to our local wind metre), which is my minimum test on whether to go out or not. I have been out in less where you have to continually loop the kite to keep it up but that is too stressful and nearly always ends up with a wet kite and swim.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 pm

I just finished a session this morning where I was getting my first heelside to toeside carve and it was pretty awesome! So nice not to have to stop/sit/flip every time you want to change direction! I found myself laughing, b/c I've been kiting so long that I'd forgotten what it was like to be worried about how far out I went b/c I might drop the kite when I tried to change directions! ;)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:02 am

Start your carve with kite low if doing an up loopa. Then either have foil high and drive around lowering foil into water, or low and lift up as you carve.
Then start doing variable radius and s carves.
Lots of variation possible.

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Great work Tom.
For me this was the most important breakthrough. Once dowloop to toeside and back is in the bag you have the building blocks for other transitions and tricks.
I agree with everything jumptheshark said. Especially the bit about not looking down during flying jibes. It was a big problem for me... I Must have a heavy head

Return to “Hydrofoil”