Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I bit the bullet...all your fault! Lol

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: I bit the bullet...all your fault! Lol

Postby or6 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:14 am

Ok, guys, I am going to check the flex...and if it isn't all that bad, I might still give it a shot. If it is...I might have to build one myself. I have some Paulownia lying around.

I'll keep an eye out for boards....groan. I need a bigger shed :-(

Thx!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:44 pm

The biggest thing to get right is the stiffness of everything, the more places the whole setup can wobble, the harder it is to learn how to ride. That's why top of the line race gear is so rock solid stiff, it's so it's easy to go crazy fast. This is also why the entry level gear is stiff, but heavy. First be stiff, then be light.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Thx! Im clueless, so all tips are very welcome. The board is quite flexible...I'll either build one, but I'll probably look for a second hand.

Or...I'll add some volume and stiffness to the board with Paulownia.

Or6

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby pierre.d » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi

I have the same shinn board , which is actually great with the good conditions ..
I am foiling since 4 years now, 95% of the time.

I will definitively not recommend to use this board as a foil board, especially for a beginner: to narrow, to sharp , not enough volume for a beginner
any old surfboard will do better for the beginning.

Remember when you start foiling the best is not trying to fly for sometime, just learn of controlling the board and foil and suddenly
you will fly . A friend of mine just got the same foil and is learning on a old surfboard, he is learning very quickly .

or6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby or6 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:05 am

Thank you Pierre, an old surfboard is what l will look for.

Just out of curiosity, in which conditions do you enjoy the Capri GT?

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby pierre.d » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 am

The shinn is good to carve and do high jump on flat water, it is a very fast and nervous board , I measured me above 35 knots with it.
It is also a very capable light wind board for its size, I have been travelling with it in a golf bag , it was a good compromise as I am not riding on twintips.
Now with the foil, I can travel with 1,07 m board, that's much better !
Anyway if you can jibe the shinn without thinking you will quickly jibe the foil too ...have fun with the gong foil (if you find it too noisy you can sand a little the back of the wings)

or6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby or6 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Merci, Pierre!

Return to “Hydrofoil”