Style: Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit & Shadow
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fone convertible drag?

Postby waitz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:19 pm

norcom wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:21 pm
Do you mean water starts? Or touchdowns?
It was a comment I heard from a shop, that the round rails on the convertible boards are more difficult to take off from water to foil. I'm a bit surprised, the shops I have spoken with so far basically say they don't like the convertible boards, that they are not so good in neither disciplines etc etc. So I'm glad to hear hear you saying that it's not a problem and that you actually like it.

And great to finally hear someone who's tried the slice, @windmaker. Thanks :-)

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:34 am

waitz wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:19 pm
norcom wrote:
It was a comment I heard from a shop, that the round rails on the convertible boards are more difficult to take off from water to foil. I'm a bit surprised, the shops I have spoken with so far basically say they don't like the convertible boards, that they are not so good in neither disciplines etc etc. So I'm glad to hear hear you saying that it's not a problem and that you actually like it.

I honestly can't tell the difference between starting on my Converter surfboard or the Dwarfcraft foil board with the foil-cut sides. The only difference I can think of is in lighter wind the Converter is easier to slog with due to higher volume. If I have enough power, pushing on the rear of the board brings the foil up. BUT I may be biased with this because I'm primarily on surf/sup wings now and the last time I tried to use the GhostWhisper foil I had completely forgot how to ride the small wings efficiently.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:20 am

waitz wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:19 pm
norcom wrote:

It is a fact that boards with thick rails are harder to waterstart but only strapless. As for taking off from water it makes no difference whatsoever, it actually helps with touchdown jibes and transitions.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 am

Convertible boards will work just fine for hydrofoils :thumb:

Thick rails are easy to waterstart strapless no issue whatsoever when you have learned - only for the beginner, it gives more trouble strapless, but then again beginners dont learn strapless, and if they try to the low volume boards are not good for that anyways...

It will have more volume thus work better for learning, and be awesome for lighter winds when experienced.

There might be a little higher weight and not the same flex when used as a surfboard, but many can not tell the difference :-?

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”