Favorite Beaches: Ask flipper231
Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Travel bag for Lift 170

Postby DenisLaMenace » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:12 am

Any suggestion for a travel bag for the Lift 170 with a 28 inches mast.
before I get something custom made, maybe someone has a sugesstion

Knowing that most airline linear dimension for check-in lugage in 62 inches,
the one piece wing/fuselage is about 26 inches wide by 32 inches long
so it leaves about 4 inches left !!

I was thinking to have something for the regular check-in so I could have 1 or 2 kites plus some clothes with it

thanks

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Travel bag for Lift 170

Postby BigSky » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:04 am

Yes, this is the challenge with Lift wings. I've searched forever for a good solution. Here's what I've found. For check-in the epic golf bag fits the wings and board really well. It's giant and great for a big trip and tons of gear but too big for a lot of travel IMO. I've found that hockey bags work well as there is some width and a lot of height. Bauer makes some bags that are good. As long as my weight is within regulation I have not been charged for a hockey bag. The length of the bag depends on the need however a smaller bag will only fit a tiny pocket board. An extra large goalie bag will fit a board up to 120cm (Groove Skate) and the Lift wing. You can also get a split board. I have the Nobile but I do not like it. It's super heavy and there is too much wasted space on the board for hydrofoil. Once you ride a pocket board it's tough to ride something like that. If you find something else let us know. Good luck

Obe_1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Michigan
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan, LaVentana, Hatteras.
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Shinn Monk, Ocean Rodeo Flites & Roam, Cabrinha Drifters, Blade Trigger, Slingshot RPM & Misfit, Groove Skate foilboard, Lift 150 V2 & 170, Liquid Force Rocket Foil, Overdrive

Postby Obe_1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:15 pm

I have been using the RockBros folding bike carry bag. It fits the 170 wing. I use pool noodles for some additional protection.
I slit the noodles and put them over the wing cover and then pack it in the RockBros. There are some other folding bike bags that may work.
There is plenty of room for additional baggage. It will be near or slightly over the limit, if you keep the bag height down, you can get by.
That being said I most likely will go with a custom flight case in the future for the best protection. The comment I got from Lift was that airline transport was brutal on hydrofoil wings.

https://www.amazon.com/RockBros-Folding ... B06X6CRHDJ
Attachments
51Tvvob44KL._SL1005_.jpg

DenisLaMenace
Medium Poster
Local Beach: It's a secret spot
Favorite Beaches: Ask flipper231
Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca

Postby DenisLaMenace » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:04 pm

thanks guy, the folding bike bag is quite a good suggestion and might go with it.
I can then make some good padding for the brutal airline transport

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:55 am

Impressive they are still selling this design, since it would be hard to fit the big wings in a triple coffin bag - if the bag also contained a board or two. For me thats an issue, because if i am paying extra bag fees, there’s going to be a surfboard or two in the mix...

Obe_1
Rare Poster
Gear: Shinn Monk, Ocean Rodeo Flites & Roam, Cabrinha Drifters, Blade Trigger, Slingshot RPM & Misfit, Groove Skate foilboard, Lift 150 V2 & 170, Liquid Force Rocket Foil, Overdrive

Postby Obe_1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:12 am

BWD wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:55 am
Impressive they are still selling this design, since it would be hard to fit the big wings in a triple coffin bag - if the bag also contained a board or two. For me thats an issue, because if i am paying extra bag fees, there’s going to be a surfboard or two in the mix...
For sure that is understandable. Traveling by air with them is a negative. Travel with a vehicle its not a problem. Only having to deal with 2 bolts is great.
Structural integrity if manufactured properly should be better. Replacing a wing will cost more. These are light, well built wings without the razor sharp trailing edges.
I weighted the pro's and con's after riding. For me it is a sacrifice I was willing to make.
Personally I wish they would make it in 2 molded pieces.
The front piece would be a molded wing, and partial fuselage section with strut connection box.
The back piece would be a molded fuselage and stabilizer section from behind the connection box. This would plug or attach into the front section.
This would afford better portability and allow for "stabless" riding with wing only, or adding the stabilizer in for conventional riding.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 am

DenisLaMenace wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:12 am
Any suggestion for a travel bag for the Lift 170 with a 28 inches mast.
before I get something custom made, maybe someone has a sugesstion

Knowing that most airline linear dimension for check-in lugage in 62 inches,
the one piece wing/fuselage is about 26 inches wide by 32 inches long
so it leaves about 4 inches left !!

I was thinking to have something for the regular check-in so I could have 1 or 2 kites plus some clothes with it

thanks
Have you seen this Dakine Foil Quiver bag?
https://www.xlkites.com/bags/1147-dakin ... r-bag.html

I haven't had a chance to use one yet, but I liked the look of it when they came in. Based on the dimensions, not sure that it would work as check in. 110cm x 15cm x 40cm (43" x 5.9" x 15"). My original thought was that I would likely use it to pack both of my foils to travel via truck on trips if needed. Wasn't sure about flying, so I don't have a good answer for that. Hope this helps...

SENDIT!

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:40 am

These hardshell snowboard cases are extendable (42" to 72"), affordable and should give much better protection than a soft bag.

But would need a narrow foil board, 14.5".

https://www.sportube.com/Series-3-Hard- ... ez-snb.htm

They also have bike cases. More expensive, very big. I wouldn't want to carry that around.

https://www.sportube.com/product-p/ironcase.htm

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Personally I wish they would make it in 2 molded pieces.
Agree, seems logical

Obe_1
Rare Poster

Postby Obe_1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Jut fab'd up a coffin case for my Lift 170 fish. My 1st swat at it, could do better next time for sure.
The case is bent from 1/2" PVC trim. The walls are 1/8" Fiberglas reinforced plastic wall siding with PVC bracing added. The padding is interlocking
foam utility mats. I added some additional foam layers underneath the stabilizer area as the 170 Fish has a different rear fuselage shape than normal
Found everything at the local big box hardware store.
May add some corners rails to cover the screws and help the edges. Should add decent protection for air travel.
I can still fit 2 wetsuits, booties, straps and a bar in addition. This fits inside my RockBros carry bag so I can carry even more up to my weight limit.
Its not the prettiest, but for now I feel better when I travel.
Attachments
IMG_2884.JPG
CASE
IMG_2885.JPG
INTERNAL PADDING
IMG_2890.JPG
FITTED WITH FOIL
IMG_2891.JPG
LIFT 170 FISH
IMG_2893.JPG
170 FISH TAIL

Return to “Hydrofoil”