Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS Sonic 15m First Impression

Postby fogmeister » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:55 pm

agree.....but your on a hydrofoil.......I am always twintip. Yes I can go pretty low on my 15m but am always battling guys on 21m flysurfers.....so I know that at the very bottom end I will just be able to ride faster jump higher on the 18m jumping around 8kts and stay on the water when it lulls to 4 or 5 and only up to 7 or 8 kts. I believe I will be able to that with the 18m .......I will reports once I have it. There are many light weight riders here that rock the biggest kites in the lightest winds.
there is only one way to find out for me that is to buy one and try it.........then I will know for sure because everyone says something different.

:cheers:

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:55 am

Thanks I ordered the 15M Sonic and will post results soon hopefully it will have similar low end to the Lotus 18M with a Vanguard surfboard or freerace board. I know that with full race board or hydrofoil the difference will be smaller in terms of low end especially on longer lines.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:48 am

Correct, the board makes a big difference regarding "too big or not".

On a TT or even a raceboard you can go bigger than on a hydrofoil, without getting worse (if not racing) :D

8) Peter

Adventure Logs
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: The world
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer Physco 4, Speed 4 Lotus, Sonic 2
Nobile T5
Nobile Split Foil, Carbon Split
Slightshot hoverglide
Flysurfer Flysplit M, L

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:51 am

Sold my Lotus 15 and Chrono 18 and am ordering a Lotus 10 and either a Sonic 15 or 18. Trying to figure out if the 10/15 quiver will be too much overlap but really don't want the bigger kite just for traveling sake. Plus I think the 15 will be more fun once the wind picks up. Ug decisions decisions.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Correct, the board makes a big difference regarding "too big or not".

On a TT or even a raceboard you can go bigger than on a hydrofoil, without getting worse (if not racing) :D

8) Peter
I think the statement about kites being too big is only relevant for large foil kites and leis which are not designed around racing.

The Chrono, Elf, Sonic & R1 are so thin that they don't get to the point of dragging you off downwind until you're really overpowered. Using a large foil like a speed 21m, you'll find you get so overpowered due to the downwind pull due to the very thick foil profile.

These new race foils are the mutts nuts on all points of sail.

amazing progress in kite design.

Tony

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Nobile Flying Carpet

Postby pmaggie » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:39 pm

This is very interesting Tone. I'm not a foil nor a race expert and I did not notice the difference in thickness between the Speeds and the new race wings. The Flysurfer dealer for north-western Italy is also a local at my home spot, so I hope I'll have a chance to fly a Sonic. I'm a little bit afraid since I'm not used to the foils and everyone says it's better to avoid the drink with the Sonic...

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:41 pm

pmaggie wrote:This is very interesting Tone. I'm not a foil nor a race expert and I did not notice the difference in thickness between the Speeds and the new race wings. The Flysurfer dealer for north-western Italy is also a local at my home spot, so I hope I'll have a chance to fly a Sonic. I'm a little bit afraid since I'm not used to the foils and everyone says it's better to avoid the drink with the Sonic...
I have yet to put the kite in the drink but I will do this weekend to see how it fairs. The kite holds an incredible amount of pressure as it really does motor through the air and as such has a lot of pressure going into the kite.

I will try and get a photo of the speed and sonic in the air next to each other, whilst in the air.

The sonic is VERY thin.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Tone wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:Correct, the board makes a big difference regarding "too big or not".

8) Peter
I think the statement about kites being too big is only relevant for large foil kites and leis which are not designed around racing.

The Chrono, Elf, Sonic & R1 are so thin that they don't get to the point of dragging you off downwind until you're really overpowered. Using a large foil like a speed 21m, you'll find you get so overpowered due to the downwind pull due to the very thick foil profile.

These new race foils are the mutts nuts on all points of sail.

amazing progress in kite design.

Tony
Nope, the kites I am referring to is the very racing ones, namely ELF and Chronos.

When too big, they get a ridiculously low wind range, and you get overpowered all the time on a hydrofoil when riding toeside or halfwind - besides the fact that they turn like pigs and not of much use for maneuvers, and they dont start earlier IMO, eventhough they go much faster up and downwind of course :cry:

Easy to race, as upwind and downwind is no problem - but for fun there is an upper limit far below the max size, for the average weight (again hydrofoil - very different on other boards)

Some of the new race kites like Ozone R1 are really thick, compared, and they are also pure race kites - so it is not just about thickness :naughty:
Although, I think we are talking about the same thing - its just not pure profile thickness, but also the much higher AR, that makes these kites sit extremely far forward, so easy on up and downwind courses without getting overpowered, agree.

For non-foil boards or racing, the biggest ones work - but I find they dont work for anything else.

And I am not talking about going sideways - that is a thing of the past and not present like previous (too) big kites - as they have evolved hugely the past 4 years and works excellent on some boards :thumb:

8) Peter

Flysurfer_Chris
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Lake Neusiedl / Podersdorf am See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Sonic FR 18.0 / 11.0
Speed4 Lotus 12.0 / 8.0
Boost 15.0 / 7.0

Radical5 138
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer Kiteboarding

Postby Flysurfer_Chris » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:56 am

The main difference between a big foil and LEI kite during light wind is... do you enjoy jumping or not?

At the same wind speed you will have more fun using a foil kite, even for wakestyle tricks. Relauching a big LEI can be painful, sometimes they stick like glue on the water.

I highly recommend a kite with thick airfoil for wakestyle tricks, such as the Lotus 18.0. :thumb:

Adventure Logs
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: The world
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer Physco 4, Speed 4 Lotus, Sonic 2
Nobile T5
Nobile Split Foil, Carbon Split
Slightshot hoverglide
Flysurfer Flysplit M, L

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:50 am

How does the sonic 18 and 15 compare bottom end on a door? Can you wind up the 15 enough to be pretty close to the 18? I'm 82 kg. Need to know to decide what to pair with my Lotus 10

Return to “Foil Kites”