Has anyone made their own "Pro Tune" speed system? I broke the speed system and some bridles on my 9m Chrono V1 the other day and I don't feel like spending any money on it I found the dimensions in the R1 V3 manual:
I'm assuming that includes the adjustment knots. Failing that does anyone have the "stock" dimensions for the original speed system, they're not included in the bridle check chart.
I have made a jig with the intention of making a Pro-Tune Speed System, but yet to make a start. I opted with the pig tail extension at this stage.
Not seen any dimensions for the original speed system.
Yeah I sat down to do this now and I can't decide on what those dimensions mean. e.g. PB3 is connected to a pulley, is 200mm measured from the loop to the end of the pulley? Or maybe the top of the pulley? Or is it loop to loop and then attach the pulley? Same with PC1. If anyone has a this speed system and could do a quick measurement I'd owe you a beer
I’m of the opinion that the dimensions given are the length of the bridle line “loop end to loop end” as you suggested, before being fitted to the pulley.
This may be of help with respect to the original speed system.
I still have the original “Sleeved Dyneema” bridle pulley lines that had very little use and show no signs of wear, having replaced and upgraded the pulley lines with Amsteel lines as recommended by Ozone.
Out of curiosity I refitted the sleeved dyneema pulley lines to one of my speed systems which had failed the “Speed System Zero Position check” and found that the speed system/bridle connection point aligned perfectly. With that in mind the original “ Sleeved Dyneema” lines dimensions presumably are as they were from new and measure as detailed.
PB1 (995mm) was measured loop end to loop end without the knot with PB2 (440mm)measured the same way without the pulley. Just a question of making PB2 880mm sewing the loops as shown.
I have made replacement PB1 and PB2 pulley lines for one of my Speed Systems in which the A, B & C connection points line up within a couple of mm.
I have used Liros DSL00 2.4mm 600kg Sleeved Dyneema line in the interim, but may replace them later with Amsteel type line.
A tad fiddly when inserting PB2 bridle line through the pulley as it’s a tight fit but achievable.
Will check the condition of the line for wear and alignment to see how they perform. Will test it by flying it from the pigtails first and presumably I may need to tweak KR1 (Z) line.
Clearly a tunable solution as in the “Pro-Tune System” is the way to go.
EDIT: So far I have changed the original speed system to the Pro-Tune, but kit was missing the z pigtails as well as the extra pigtails for the kite bar line connections as compared to the installation video. I can reuse the kite bar connection pigtails but still need the z pigtails. Compared to the old speed system, this new one is about 6" longer, but I guess that shouldn't matter as long as it zeroes up equal length? The lower pulley lines are the same length as before, but the upper pulley lines are longer. Will the longer upper pulley line make any difference in how the kite flies? So much for plug-n-play
I have a 15m Chrono v1 that has developed a slight asymmetry. Trying to decide how to most easily correct it. I have done the speed system check and found it to have C lines 1.5cm short on both sides. When doing the long check as in Gunnar's video, I get B too long by Left/Right, 2cm/1.5cm and C too short by 3cm/4cm. I still would like to compare the brake lines but will be challenge to make a pigtail only 1.5cm long for C or do I try to shorten A and B, or is 1.5 cm not enough to make significant difference?
Shame about the missing Z line (KR1 Extension pigtail) but if you have some spare line of a suitable breaking strain they are easy to make. As for the missing kite bar pigtails are you sure they are part of the kit as you can simply use the existing ones.
Does the Pro-tune speed system kit lists what's included?
Have looked at the Pro-tune speed system video a number of times and was going to make my own but yet to make a start.
When replacing the entire speed system with the Pro-Tune Speed system, I would imagine it would need some adjustment. Plug and play would be nice of course, however these kites do need to be tuned and periodically checked.
I have adjusted one of my speed systems by adding the extension pigtail as discussed in the thread as well making and replacing both pulley bridles on one of my other Chrono’s. Both fly perfectly and have not needed to make any additional adjustments.
I think if your kite fly’s ok then all must be well, although I did notice the trailing edge on one of my other Chrono’s more noticeable and gave the impression that the brake lines were pulling on the trailing edge more than usual when sheeting in. I guess if the PB1 pulley line bridle starts to shrink, this in turn starts to impact KR1 (Z line)
Pulley line lengths are not at all critical in length, as far as they are long enough to bar sheeting range. Usually mixer is done to get both ends even (flying line/bridle attachment points) when pulley lines are tightened. Then it is irrelevant where pulley line length measurements are made and it is easy to check if everything is remained as it should.
I'm not sure if PA1 and PA2 are two separate lines, if so it is unnecessary. Line PB2 attachment point to A line is not very critical and it can be done same way as it is done at the other end. It is ok though as it is.
mgs: "I guess if the PB1 pulley line bridle starts to shrink, this in turn starts to impact KR1 (Z line)"
No - or yes, PB1 shrink affects indirectly to brakes. However shrinking pulley line makes brakes (relatively) looser, because it makes B-C tighter. Absolutely there is no effect because brakes are pulled straight 1:1.
Pulley line shrink has very bad effect to kite performance because it lowers the camber which makes kite slower and inefficient and loose brakes make it even worse.