Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Re: Ozone speed system adjustment

Postby mgs » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:22 pm

Here's my fix - Credit goes to gmb13
I have used a figure 8 knot so it can be moved for adjustment.
Attachments
Ozone Chrono Speed System Fix.JPG

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:14 am

mgs wrote: With respect to the Ozone “Pro Tune Speed System “ there’s a video that shows how to check, tune and replace the entire system and a PDF showing the dimensions as well.
http://ozonekites.com/videos/play/pro-tune-speed-system
THANK YOU! :thumb: :D
I also like you did the exact same tune as Gunner (Thanks) suggested, funny that mine is very close in length, to yours but have not tested it yet.
RH

revhed
Very Frequent Poster

Postby revhed » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:26 pm

mgs wrote: a PDF showing the dimensions as well.
I have searched for this PDF but do not find, any help please? :?:
Thanks
R H

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:46 am

Hello revhed,
The length of my extension line was a little on the long side having re-checked and now adjusted.
Looking at the “pro tune speed system video” which I have watched many times :D in order to understand what is going on, the adjustment process consists of 3 stages yet adding an single extension line to the “C Pulley Line” (PB1) achieves the same goal.

Looking at “PB2 Pulley Line” this doesn’t show as much wear as the “C Pulley Line* so presumably there is more load/movement on the “C Pulley Line”
Link to Ozone R1-V2 Pro Tune Bridle Check pdf
http://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/pr ... -Check.pdf

revhed
Very Frequent Poster

Postby revhed » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:21 am

Mixer tuning update.
Thanks to MGS, found pdf. :thumb:
Now A B C mixer are equal at bridals AND found it very interesting that adjusting the D (KR1) longer to match the amount I moved C toward the kite, it now is +,- 1/2 cm to stock spec, although most of the bridals have shrunk about 2 cms.
Even after reading in several places I am still wondering HOW and WHY bridal lines enduring load SHRINK, NOT STRETCH?
I have NEVER had or known of a standard spectra kite line to SHRINK NOT STRETCH!
As spectra is weaved under load the concept of " line creep" happens and lines become longer NEVER shorter!
Will someone please clue me in? :?:
Now time to foil board with a ram air kite.
R H

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:34 pm

They shrink it's just a fact, even flying lines shrink, especially the rears.

As to why? Well the main cause seems to be that they are prestretched so... they don't stretch. See a stretched line is a bit of a bigger problem than a shrunk one. You can reliably restretch one and the other well... Prestretching seems to occur at close to breaking strain with heat when the line is new. The line only gets weaker with age so to apply the same forces to stretch it again will only break it. Lines a mere 3 years old can break at 50% rating. Bridles on foils ,and any kite really, rarely see even a couple of % of their breaking load, so for them to hold their length seems impossible. As to the the physical changes in the line, they get thicker when they shrink. Whether this is because of dirt, the weave changing or even the molecules rearranging, I am not sure, but probably all 3.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster

Postby revhed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:34 am

So thanks to some posts here I tuned my "new for me" but old Chrono 9m2 Ram air kites depower mixer system.
I simply extended B and C to line up with A and untied Z knot attachment on C pully line for more depower throw and added many 1 cm spaced Z adjustment knots connected to the steering lines pig tail.
Adjusted Z equal amount toward kite as C.
It seems to fly well during lite wind beach testing but feels slow turning to me.
Profile looks Ok from what I can see when an other flying it.
I see the stock bar is only 45 cm wide, I have a 52 now, but first flew it on a 56 which felt faster turning.
I really like any kite to turn as small radius as possible why all my LEI have much wider bars than normal, just works, and needed for longer lines IMHO.
SO,
Shall I go wider bar or test Z line shortening to get tighter turning?
And as for line length?
Using 27 m + the 3.5 bridals + 1 bar leaders.
Feels to close for comfort for wind window edge down loop low wind bail outs, Ideas?
Would 8 m line extensions be to much?
R H

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Try progressively shortening your Z again. When the kite is flying, the breaks should be engaging enough to turn the kite in a reasonably tight radius.

Also. When using my method to return the C Pulley line to its original length, you will not need to lengthen the Z as much as you lengthen C pulley. Using the pro tune system you need to lengthen the Z as the shrinkage of the C pulley line is not addressed, but on my system it is, so the knot is pretty much back to where it needs to be. So if you will lengthen the Z only do it enough to account for normal line shrinkage.

--
Gunnar

revhed
Very Frequent Poster

Postby revhed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:22 pm

gmb13 wrote:Try progressively shortening your Z again. When the kite is flying, the breaks should be engaging enough to turn the kite in a reasonably tight radius.
Also. When using my method to return the C Pulley line to its original length, you will not need to lengthen the Z as much as you lengthen C pulley. Using the pro tune system you need to lengthen the Z as the shrinkage of the C pulley line is not addressed, but on my system it is, so the knot is pretty much back to where it needs to be. So if you will lengthen the Z only do it enough to account for normal line shrinkage.
Gunnar
Thanks for that, I did do as you recommend above concerning Z to adjust same as C.
Can ram air kites be tuned to turn on their wing tips, or maybe better question,
What is as you post "a reasonably tight turning radius" for a 9 m Chrono and, or other R A kites?
Do you ever grab by hand a steering, break line to turn faster?
Also, as with my LEIs I trim them to just barley back fly, do you trim the same for R As?
R H

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi Rev,
"I did do as you recommend above concerning Z to adjust same as C."
Don't do that. I said NOT to adjust Z the same as C.
"Can ram air kites be tuned to turn on their wing tips"
Sort of : If I want a kite to turn in a small radius and don't mind losing power in the turn, I will tune it with quite a lot of break and probably set the Speed system /Mixer at C+ 2 B+1. This will allow the one side of the wing to stall in the turn.

However this comes at a cost. Stability, upwind angle and speed will all suffer. Eg. Not a good setup for racing.

"Do you ever grab by hand a steering, break line to turn faster?"
Yes. Sometimes in an emergency I will do that.
Also, as with my LEIs I trim them to just barley back fly, do you trim the same for R As?
If I want to race I will try to find the kites lowest Drag / max lift setting. I will try to fly with as little break as possible and try to bring C and B into a good alignment to provide max speed and angle. This I do by feel and a double check with gps eg. go out ride. If the kite feels to draggy, come in shorten up C or B or both, go out see the difference.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Foil Kites”