Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Funalexed Pansh Aurora

Postby foilholio » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:59 am

That is what funalex did he increased the canopy curve or arc, to increase stability and turning. He lengthened all of A,B and C. I would have thought shortening would be easier and more efficient. But maybe the bridle is too short. Anyway I have made the bridle and it's off to test.

The split cells are the little short cell walls doubling the cells in the trailing edge. This is to make the trailing edge cleaner.

What program do you use to calculate bridles?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:43 am

Got to test and play with the mixer some. It's a very interesting MOD. Initial observations it's the most dramatic and rewarding change I have made to a kite. Having said that I have yet to test in proper wind, just some gusty light stuff. The power increase is tremendous. Although the kite has more arc, it now has more even tension across all the bridles and truly pulls like a truck. The most interesting change is the kite now displays triple depower attributes. It flys much more like a speed3 than it's previous speed2 or pyscho3 behavior. I played with the length of A6, the tip bridle. Shortening this increased the C shape depowered. The bridle at original length without extension becomes more pyscho4 than speed3. I may adopt this in the future.

I tried adjusting B as it states in the excel sheet, lengthening it, but the kite became horribly unstable. I ended up leaving B pretty much as original and extending Z to line up with ABC. I really need some steady wind to adjust but so far its great!.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:17 am

Got to test on the water. Merci funalex il est superbe. Awesome awesome mod. Kite is much the same as a Speed3, low end is better than the 21. Only difference is fully sheeted out the kite doesn't quite have as good stability. But sheet in a little and the stability is awesome. I can ride waves with it easily now. Turning ,depower, power all vastly improved. Of particular note the kite can produce much more lift at slow speed and jump well. Awesome. Only thing I will change is there is a little slack in C6 and I will shorten it a little.

To do the mod just use the excel sheet and punch in the size of your kite, to get the correct bridle extension lengths. There is 2 sections for this. One adds 0.5cm for some reason, I used this as others on tublesskiteforum did too. You can look at the excel formulas and see whats what. You can ignore AB and the B main extensions, Z main will need an extension and some way to adjust it. You will need extra A5s made for the A6s. I made the extensions with a bridle construction rig and 60kg line I manually prestretched. I just made doubled over extensions with one knot, basically a big loop, because its much quicker. I attached the knot end on the LCLs, so less chance of any tangles. You need to make the mixer all even, align C and A and go from there, Z will need extending,if B needs adjusting just pull apart the stitching on the pulley end and tie a knot.

This mod applies to the older metal pulley aurora. Apparently pansh has updated the new plastic pulley aurora with these bridle lengths. So buying the current Aurora should be an awesome kite. I would just make Pansh confirm that the currently aurora does truly really genuinely have this as an updated bridle, because they are shifty mofos, who have no after sales support.!>!>!>!>!>

Enjoy.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Hello All,

I did this modification on my 22m two years ago, which I was very happy with (I sold it this summer since I started hydrofoil, too big for my 60 kg with Hydrofoil). The philosophy of the modification is :
- globally modifying the canopy (less flat) for more manoeuvrability.
- A bridles are far more modified than Z bridles, leading to a kind of change in the profile, more stable at first sight.
- Wings are also a "un-twisted" significantly

You can see a short film I did with mrginal winds to see the canopy evolution here :
- initial Aurora 22m : https://vimeo.com/98179546
- modified briddles : https://vimeo.com/98179702

I personally associated it to a "turbo bar" to increase its maneuverability and depower (but twice more bar pressure). I was then able to jump ( not high but god hang time) in 6-7 knots in Twin type and enhanced depower for gusts.

I just have a last comment : the modification was done on the first Aurora (V1), approx 2012-2013. Pansh "optimized" the briddles for Aurora V2 , so funalex modifications are not applicable as they are on V2. It is not clear neither when Pansh changed the briddles, nor if this optization is similar to the funalex values (in that case no modif is required ... )

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:52 am

Thanks Regis your posts on tubelesskite were very helpful.

If anyone has an updated Aurora any size, of course 22 would be best, I would be willing to measure my 2014 one and compare differences. If you have a different size we can just scale the bridles so not a problem at all.

My 2014 was meant to have some sort of bridle update. I think it's just they corrected the mixer lengths. It flew ok out of the bag but nothing compared to the funalex bridle. I wanted to buy an A15 to replace my Aurora but now comparing the ARC on my funalex Aurora to the A15 I think the A15 might not fly as good ! I think there exists the possibility to ARC it further maybe with more triple depower and have it even better suited to wave riding. Hopefully I can uncover some of Funalex's secret methods by reading tubelesskite forum some more.....

And wow regis only 60kg with a 22! I can only imagine how powerful that would feel.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:11 pm

Thank you for your feedback on Tubelesskite.

A lot a people thought initially that 22m was unuseful for 60kg, but I am a light wind lover so I tried ... and actually it was worth of it : I used the 22m even more often that my flysurfer S3 15m (which low end was disappointing). Small wind range in my case ( 6-10 knots) but actually such a wind range is statistically very frequent ... And what a feeling to ride alone, comfortably with only 6-7 knots wind, faster than wind speed, and have shoulders along the flat water ... :thumb:

You've understood that I cannot measure the briddles anymore, sorry.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 am

I recovered this short video I made with the Auroroa V1 22m and a big (TT fifty-pro 145*45) in about 8 knots, just for fun and visual illustration since it is quite rare to get a video riding on water:

https://vimeo.com/168890437

we see clearly its love to "tractor" mode :lol:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:24 pm

My poor 22 I doubt I will use it much any more. The A15 really surprised me how good it is . 22m is certainly a beast of a size though.

I see your obsession with Orange now :-) looks nice on the pulsion.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:35 pm

You know me better than you think : I have already changed my rally just to get exactly the same in orange, and I am thinking to do the same to change Airush one ( black and white) against LF Solo ( Orange and bleu), color being one of the arguments :-)

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi,
This is old topic, but just happens that I have 2 new Auroras from the past- V1- 10 and 15meters. Original, not used even once. And would like to try at least 15m this summer on water. I have decided to do bridle modification and found funalex files online, read discussion. But I have never changed any foils, have no clue how to decide what lenghts I need except files from funalex.

Question to whom who did it already.
- do I need to change only bridle lengths that are writen by funalex in XLS file- ABCD, B and Z.
- AB6 shoudl be separate A6 and B6, right?
- What about other bridle parts -A23, 45, B23, 45, 67, C23 45, 67, AXY, YZ, A, Y, C? All Z? Shall I leave them unchanged?

Maybe someone has lenghts writen that works fro them in a better way?

Return to “Foil Kites”