stefmoris
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puntone
Gear: Mikeslab Bullet (3,4,.....)
Brand Affiliation: lecca-lecca / Mikeslab
Has thanked: 0

Re: DIY Foil Kites

Postby stefmoris » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:42 pm

First flight today! I'm super happy with how it went considering nothing has been adjusted yet! I left the whole thing unedited and timecode in case anyone wants to comment. I don't know how you snowkiters do it, I was freezing my ##$@@&!~@ off!!!! -stef

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitexpert » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 am

There is many things right if kite doesn't collapse or do tricks for its first flight, and even more so if it is quite high AR kite and wind is gusty like it apparently was :thumb:

One thing worth thinking - not for this one but for the future kites - is how much canopy curve should be had. Now I feel like I'm towards more curve, because its makes turning rounder and less pivotal and more fun. Of course then PA of the kite gets lower, but that is the way it is. There's no such thing as free lunch :-? :)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:04 pm

First, maximum respect for all your work Stef :thumb:
(not only for the kites, but also your tools and presentation)

Maybe, when I am once by occasion in your region, would be pleased to try one of your kites. :)
kitexpert wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 am
There is many things right if kite doesn't collapse or do tricks for its first flight, and even more so if it is quite high AR kite and wind is gusty like it apparently was :thumb:
Yes also my experience, never build a kite, but rebridled a few and seen many prototypes. My first try with a rebridled Windtools Mosquito 2 prototyp, was that it didn't even fly. Maybe the combination of a high depower bridle with a no reflex profile was the problem :wink: :lol: . But didn't know anything about those things in 2000. But when I made this kite flying with a more normal fixed handle bridle. I was pretty happy with it and used it for about 3 years.

But another special thing I wanted to ask the kite building experts here:
I had two of those protos in 9 and 5,5 m² and both had a zipper to fold the two middle cells, which have been about 10% of surface. Unfortunately I actually have no fotos, would have to check some old disks from 2000 ...
But the experience with this zipper system was pretty good and felt close to marketable. As said I used both kites for about 3 years about 60 days a year and opened and closed the zipper for 2-3 times a session to react on increasing and decreasing wind speed on land with a mountain board. As fixed bridle kites from 2000 didn't have any other depower options it was better than nothing.

But since then I ask myself if it could be an idea to rebuild the zipper concept in a modern foil kite and therefor also increase its windrange. Problem for sure is you have practically design two kites in one with all the strap tensions in the canopy and bridle design matching the zipped and unzipped kite geometry. But there is also many possibilities designing the bridle and the canopy by free positioning the zipper that way that both kites would work well ... at least in my modest experience and expections.

stefmoris
Medium Poster

Postby stefmoris » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks Sergio! I would love to have you try my kites! If you come through Tuscany let me know :)

The collapsing cells is an interesting idea. I think for the efficiencies we are running with hydrofoils the weight of the zipper will be an important consideration, but keeping the strap tension inside instead of the canopy and working out bridles should no problem.

every idea has its nitch. Not every kite has to be a race kite. I really like small pack volume myself. -stef

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Stef,

I have read 9 pages so far. I will keep reading later.
You are super - human, exceptionally smart and driven. I only make surfboards, which is child's play compared to what you are doing.

Inspired.

stefmoris
Medium Poster

Postby stefmoris » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Thanks Tom!

EricSanders
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach Detroit
Favorite Beaches: Tawas, OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade Trigger 7.0
LF NRG 10.0
Best Kahuna 13.5
Blade Fat Lady 17.0
Royal Rush 19.0
Pansh Aurora2 22m
Spleen door 164
OceanRodeo Mako King
Liquid Force Edge 146
Axis Vanguard 148
Axis Vanguard 136
Been thanked: 0

Postby EricSanders » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:35 am

Wow, very impressive!

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:04 pm
Yes also my experience, never build a kite, but rebridled a few and seen many prototypes.
I've done some rebridle work to old FS kites and some other too. Usually it is possible to take 30-50% of line away and to add standard 1:2:4 speedsystem. Then kite will look cleaner, have a bit less line drag and possibly more depower due to better AoA control. In some cases bar pressure can be made much lighter.

Some Pansh kites would be good targets to rebridling, but it is difficult to say how much better they would get. Also Pulsion kite which has bridles in every profile could be improved, but I don't certainly know how much because there is no good pictures or information of that kite available.

stefmoris
Medium Poster

Postby stefmoris » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:00 pm

First on the water session today for my prototype kite, it went very well! Super powered and gusty, no collapsing, VMG up 2 degrees better and down 4 degrees better than last generation so far. Reached 28.5 knots without pushing things too much, and still haven't done any bridle changes yet. (same foil as last summer - Mikeslab Bullet 3L). Was a little scared to sheet in and really power it on as my last session was October. Stoked!

stefmoris
Medium Poster

Postby stefmoris » Tue May 01, 2018 10:46 pm

Sorry for the long silence (in case anyone missed me :) ) but I'm pleased to announce its alive!!

lecca-lecca.com

I've changed my profile accordingly and I've got an ad-banner going on Kiteforum now. I'll still contribute to this thread should anyone want to build build build!!

Return to “Foil Kites”