Chrono v2 water launch????

For all foil kite riders
joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chrono v2 water launch????

Postby joriws » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:17 am

early bird2 wrote:What do you mean by Taco it ? leave it half rolled ?
Taco position is a term where kite is completely unrolled but folded half with small positional separation between wing tips. Kite kite is laying on water windward with wing tips upwind. On this video's static image the kite is still being unrolled on water and notice some pre-fill in the middle. The kite is like you roll/open it on dry land with a difference that wing tips are not on top of each other.

So when lines get tension the kite starts to open up from taco as wind gets inside the taco because wing tips are not overlapping.

Kite is set to taco position at 1:16s ->. But after that shot is a editor cut and the taco has opened a bit as lines probably got some tension when unwinding them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBd8vNaW1As
early bird2 wrote:Also , how would you land it ?
Landing on water - there are Ozone videos about emergency packing on (deep) water.

SandiBottom
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SandiBottom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:33 pm

in the video the bar is only setting on the side of the boat as a place for it to set until I can get back to bar during self launch..i do not not launch kite from being tide to the boat..I thru those 2 videos out there just to show it can be easy done.. i kited for 2 weeks on the flats in key west only using my chromo 2s.. had a lot of fun..I think the thing you have to remember is that these are not conventional kites and its a whole new ball game but the rewards are great,, they are a high performance kite with huge hang time and boosting power.. I think there is probably other ways to launch but these are just some ideas... Hope this helps out..

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:14 pm

joriws wrote:
early bird2 wrote:What do you mean by Taco it ? leave it half rolled ?
Taco position is a term where kite is completely unrolled but folded half with small positional separation between wing tips. Kite kite is laying on water windward with wing tips upwind. On this video's static image the kite is still being unrolled on water and notice some pre-fill in the middle. The kite is like you roll/open it on dry land with a difference that wing tips are not on top of each other.

So when lines get tension the kite starts to open up from taco as wind gets inside the taco because wing tips are not overlapping.

Kite is set to taco position at 1:16s ->. But after that shot is a editor cut and the taco has opened a bit as lines probably got some tension when unwinding them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBd8vNaW1As
early bird2 wrote:Also , how would you land it ?
Landing on water - there are Ozone videos about emergency packing on (deep) water.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:18 pm

in the video the bar is only setting on the side of the boat as a place for it to set until I can get back to bar during self launch..
On my mind in 0:13 you effectively attach chicken loop to boat. If kite pulls the main lines the depower line will be pulled as well until chicken loop is jammed to boat via "horn". You also have 20+ meters of dyneema floating plus bridles and it seems your are walking inside them..

Why I mention this? Someone might take your video as a tutorial how to water launch a foil kite. Many dangers could be easily avoided by using many times proven technique I shared.

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:22 pm

joriws , Thanks for the very good explanation of the taco .

Return to “Foil Kites”