Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Viron1/2 is anyone using them?

Postby foilholio » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:44 am

They look good for kids? A local got one and said the performance was crap? Freeride with a hydrofoil? Anyone?

I flew a 6 and it wouldn't generate much power flying it around.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Has thanked: 0

Re: Viron1/2 is anyone using them?

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:39 pm

I have the 6 meter and I used it to learn to fly the kite on a skateboard then on a twin tip. I used it on windy days until the safety line broke from inside the kite. I have progress and the kite is sitting in my garage collecting dust. cheers

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:40 pm

The Viron is an odd but good kite. Didn't like the first version but love the current one.

We use the Viron 2 as a teaching kite for high wind days. The 2.5m is super easy to fly in high winds (25-35kts) and fun as hell in 35kts+. It will build power but not aggressively like many other kites. It's designed to instill confidence for the timid and/or shorten the learning process for everyone which it seems to do well. We use the 4m and 2.5m for kids and lighter riders when our Access v6 are too much. Although there is a ton of overlap in performance between the Access 4m and Viron 2 4m.

Out of the bag it flies pretty mediocre. Slow turning etc... Stock settings are geared toward keeping the kite from being too zippy. But where we are, with our lack of steady wind, you have to be able to move the kite a lot to keep it airborne. So with the simple setting adjustment under the floats the kite handles great. The stock knot positions under the floats didn't work for us. One not gave too much back line and was too slow. The Next setting was too backstally. But it's simple to move the knots and get it "just right" depending on your needs or tastes.

Depowers very much like a Peak. But without the flutter. In testing we found the 2.5m comfortable to hot launch in 20kts hands free as long as you didn't fight it. Pretty sweet.

There is an 8m version in the works. :D

migel1976
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Moscow region
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites Airush Lithium 8, FlySurfer Soul 10, 15; Boards Flydoor 170x50, Shin Pinbot 141x44, Hydrofoil Mday 1050 cm

Postby migel1976 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:18 pm

I use first version 6m, i loved this kite, very very safety, use only in winter time for me it's work in 20knots to unlimited... :), but in winter time very seldom so much windy days i sold it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ANS1_ ... eOjAe9wLZQ

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm

I had the v1 in dlx version (6m) which design is close to the v2 (dlx for the v2 as well).
Good for kids but needs at least 8 knots to fly properly. What is really great is its almost automatic relaunch and absence of power when sheet out. However it turns slow , specially when powered. And upwind angle is very bad. So depends on your needs. I had one for snowkite high winds (i can recover a video in 35-40 knots if you want including a fearfull downloop). It was very safe but lack of fun for advanced riders.

On hydrofoil I never tested personally but got feedbacks from several riders. It does the job as the hydrofoil can still go upwind despite the poor performance of the kite. Excellent kite to begin hydrofoil since it does not generate too much speed and relaunches very well, very stable as well. With a trustfull kite on hydrofoil yoy can save precious hours and energy if it is your objective ...

Return to “Foil Kites”