Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Liquid Force Elite foil

Postby foilholio » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:36 pm

Doesn't make sense why they would give graphics for a different bridle.

Bridle is a little weird compared to many others. The bridle per cell changes to 2 then 1 then back to 2 then 1 again at the tips. The double center bridling is on a few pansh kite. Reminds me when I played with designing some foils in one of the programs found on the net.

The extra bridling in the center should help with equalizing the bridle loads across the span and give more even bridle shrink.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:14 pm

One assumption we should make when evaluating this kite is that LiquidForce had access to all the modern race kites and bridling solutions other brands are using and intentionally deviated from those designs to increase ease of use and reduce cost, which is basically LF's business model as a gear manufacturer.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:36 pm

I think it would definitely be cheaper what they have done. As to the ease of use. generally the shorter the better, but reduction in number is probably helpful too, how much I am not certain.

Partydk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: Sweden - Malmö, Lomma(Habo Ljung)
Denmark - Lynæs
Favorite Beaches: Sweden - Malmö, Lomma(Habo Ljung)
- Väg 100
- LA (Lundåkra)

Denmark - Lynæs
Style: Jumps and freestyle,
Gear: Eleveight RS - XS Series
North Reach and Orbit series
Boards - Eleveight Master C+
- North Atmos Carbon
- Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight, North Kiteboarding, Mystic, Ride engine.mm
Has thanked: 0

Postby Partydk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:40 pm

How is the testing with the elite kite going?

Best Regards
Kent Ellegaard

Kitesurfing - kiteboard - Kite udstyr - Begynderkite - Best Roca

sparkin_larkin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: nc outter banks
Favorite Beaches: nc outter banks
Style: cruising
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sparkin_larkin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:48 am

Real at Hatteras has a video review..for me I would like to have heard from someone accustom to foil kites? LF also has a"how to" on their website check them out if you like tell me what you think :?:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWqP1TZco-w

Advice for them when they crash the kite and then bow tied it. If he had grabbed up on the rear leaders and pulled them both in so as to apply a lot of tension to the rear lines, it wouldn't have bow tied and would have relaunched very quickly.

To unbowtie a kite you can pull on one steering line or front line to lay the kite out and "sometimes" the wind will flick out the bowtie. Otherwise because he could stand in the video, just retrieve the kite on a line and hold one wing tip up and flap it in the air till bow tie is out. You may need to follow your hand over the leading edge collecting and removing any wrapped bridles. Then just try drift launching, you can retrieve the kite again if it doesn't work. Always be very careful not to get tangled in the lines. Trying this in deep water is hard with out flotation. Kicking legs can easily become trapped in lines. Wrapping the bar can be much more difficult but safer.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:41 am

foilholio wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWqP1TZco-w

Advice for them when they crash the kite and then bow tied it. If he had grabbed up on the rear leaders and pulled them both in so as to apply a lot of tension to the rear lines, it wouldn't have bow tied and would have relaunched very quickly.

To unbowtie a kite you can pull on one steering line or front line to lay the kite out and "sometimes" the wind will flick out the bowtie. Otherwise because he could stand in the video, just retrieve the kite on a line and hold one wing tip up and flap it in the air till bow tie is out. You may need to follow your hand over the leading edge collecting and removing any wrapped bridles. Then just try drift launching, you can retrieve the kite again if it doesn't work. Always be very careful not to get tangled in the lines. Trying this in deep water is hard with out flotation. Kicking legs can easily become trapped in lines. Wrapping the bar can be much more difficult but safer.
Right on! Like dude, when it fluffed, he had several seconds to save it...lazy LEI rider...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:02 am

He did dawdle a bit. It pains me a bit to watch kiters doing the wrong thing. I still wonder who teaches to sheet in with a kite trailing edge down to try to make it take off? That joke just seems to keep on keeping on. Oh that guy in vid was an instructor. That answers that.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:04 pm

More conventional, more economical and less drag bridle for LF Elite kite. Much cleaner looking too 8)

It has 40% less secondary bridle and about 40% less primary bridle line. Third level I designed is a bit longer because in Elite it looks so short. But because short one seems to work it could be similar.

This shortness is perhaps the biggest (and only) remarkable thing in Elite's bridle.

Bridling every second rib needs some internal support. Locating these (D-ribs, H-ribs) with reasonable spaced bridles is one of the main tasks in foil kite design.

For example Diablo is good work in that respect. It changes spacing logically. Ozone's R1 is a kind of perfect construction too, fully supported wing with optimized low drag bridle.

It looks weird to alter bridle spacing from 1 to 2 like in Elite. Of course it does not ruin the kite, on the contrary support in the middle of the kite is best possible. But added drag and messy look is the price to be paid.

It is also unneccessary to bridle same rib twice.

I also opened canopy curve a bit and adjusted curve location. These are more or less cosmetic changes. Then same projected area is achieved slightly smaller flat area.

Return to “Foil Kites”