Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Removing twist from lines.

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:46 am

When I got my new pansh A15 lines, I noticed they had some twists in them. How to get them out? For a long time I have noticed my foil kite lines continuously connected to the kites behave nicely don't get twisted and stay that way. Where as my experience with inflatable/ARC lines running them out they got harder and harder to untangle, I guessed becoming more twisted with time. I did invent a system to minimize this but still they would twist. So I rule out running out my lines to untwist them inflatable style, because I guess it would just make things worse.

Why is untwisted lines important. Fishing experience and foil kites has taught me that twisted lines have a natural tendency to tangle. Give them slack and they tangle. They tangle themselves they tangle with their neighbors. They tangle. I started reading how to untangle rope/line. I discover http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/Tec ... 12_WEB.pdf. Twists reduce strength. Reading further on climbing forums and watching youtube. Sheathed line, as in used in many bridles now, if twisted and then used becomes permanently damaged with the sheath detaching from the core. I don't know how much to believe that as I never found any core attached to any sheath.

Anyway

Untwisting. The simplest method is to hang the line. Easy for bridles but 20-30meter lines? So I adopted a novel approach, roll the line onto a large, for ease, powdered drink tin with no lid. I pinned the other end of the line to the ground with a long phillips screw driver. Larks head a large loop around the tin and rolled it on with some tension, always keeping the tins orientation the same. This seems to lay the rope flat and push most twists to one end. Now you could pull the screw driver out and most of the twists will just flick out, but I left it connected to the kite. I just now with tension rotated the tin till the fibers on the end all lined up. I then with tension walked backwards slowly, using my hand to brake the tin but let it spin. I watched the fibers, gaps or continuous traits in the lines and rotated the tin to make sure they continued to follow the same straight path. It was slow, a bit memorizing and the thin rear lines much harder, but at the end it seemed to work and the line is much nicer now. I would guess my fronts had about 15 twists each in them, am I being pedantic?lol. I had my lines tangle a bit before this and they were real fucking cunts to undo. Sorry ladies.

Hopefully my twists are all out. Comments suggestions?

Another suggestion I read with climbing is belaying the line on the ground a couple times will untwist it.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Removing twist from lines.

Postby foilholio » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Well my A15 lines are behaving quite nicely. I wonder if some of my flysurfer lines didn't come with some twists out of the factory as well!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:51 am

Most lines are Not completely round ; so one of the Unintended
consequences of removing All the twists , could be more Drag.

Bille

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:23 am

Interesting proposition you make. Besides the fact I think removing 100% of the twists is near impossible. What is the chance that because you have minimal twist, that on all the lines more of the flatter side will face the wind? Or that a twisted line has less drag? I would like to see that tested or at least an explanation on how anyone thinks it works. From my looking at line the flat side is not necessarily constant either.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:52 pm

Bille wrote: ...
could be more Drag.

Bille
It was more a question, than a statement ; but could be true ?

Bille

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:21 pm

I think there is chance either way for more or less drag with twist. Would need to be tested really. The other effects of twist like tangling and loss of strength are enough that I dont want it.

Return to “Foil Kites”