Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Speed 5

Postby foilholio » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:35 pm

Dont know. The bridles are unsheathed and thinner (more flexible) and probably longer so all up more likely to tangle. As it has happened many times to me, how the guy landing the kites handles it can cause tangles. I prefer to self land, in a wind shadow on grass, less hassle and faster.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:23 pm

I have the Speed 5 12 and can't say I've had any problems with assisted landings. I ask the assistant to take hold of the lowest wingtip and hold it to the ground. Once grounded, i walk toward them and secure the wingtip with sand. I've used the same technique since the Speed 2 and nothing has changed.

BTW : I love the speed 5. I have a full quiver of Sonics for racing and the Speed 5 is such a fun kite to fly. So much power yet so simple to fly and relaunch. iMHO its the better kite for all round free riding. Unless max VMG is the primary objective, the Speed 5 is the most fun.

zeroowl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus 12m 6m
Flysurfer Speed 5 18m 9m

Postby zeroowl » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks for responses,
But the problem not in the landing,
I get the landing done right with help of people who know how to land foil kites.

So the kite lay on the sand aligned with the wind
upwind tail is folded and filled with the sand.

And kite is secured.

But as Tone mentioned , the speed 5 keeps the shape. And the downwind tail jumps around.And at this point brindle get tangled.
And this happening only in winds of 18+ knots and probably gusty conditions, in less wind the kite lay on the beach.

It was in my trip to Thailand, and now I am at home and going to kite soon, so no video until a month probably.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:53 pm

How the sand is placed on the upwind tip can cause the downwind tip to jump. I don't fold the tip, and some times place sand on the tip and the LE of the tip. If my memory is right an unsecured LE can cause flapping. You could also place the kite facing bridles down on the sand, that may work. If I was landing another foil kiter who I knew was packing up I would fold the kite and open the deflate. No tangles and the kite is deflated by the time they wrap their bar. Usually it is the pulleys that tangle when a tip flaps ,focus on getting them free without tightening anything, keep the bridle loose, loosen any tight spots, tease at it. Another thing is when you slack the lines to flag the kite if you could not over do it it would help prevent tangles. In the same way a well placed flagging stopper will do the same. The more freedom the bridles are given the more they can or will tangle. You could even possibly keep some tension in lines/bridles just depends on your position in the window and how much tension.

The speed5 is not the first/only foil this can happen to, I know what you are talking about.

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby The Captain » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:26 pm

With the upwind tip folded and sanded, lay a board on the kite in the middle. That should stop it from flapping around.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:04 am

Don't let it sit in the sun or flog in the wind! Land it and roll it up. UV is the enemy of the kite fabric and flogging in the wind certainly won't help it last longer.

Then while you are at it, roll up the lines on the bar while you are taking a break. It takes a second to roll your lines and that opens the beach for everyone else.

The temptation with a tube kites is to leave them pumped up because of pumping. But the foil is so easy, just put it away and take it out again when ready.

I immediately bring the tips together and roll the kite half way to stop flogging. Then my lines. Then finish the kite.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:08 am

exactly! good advice.

zeroowl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus 12m 6m
Flysurfer Speed 5 18m 9m

Postby zeroowl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:06 pm

I have a question regarding Speed 5 bar ( Infinity 3.0)
It looks like depower is 4:1

I use Cabrinha bar, with speed 5 18m, and feel too overpowered in 16-18 knots ( my weight 77 kg) .
Can it be because this bar is not 4:1 depower?

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:12 pm

16 to 18kns on an 18m foil kite and your problem is u feel overpowered? am i reading that right cause that's at the upper limit of the kite . switch to a smaller kite.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 pm

zeroowl wrote:I use Cabrinha bar, with speed 5 18m, and feel too overpowered in 16-18 knots ( my weight 77 kg) .
Can it be because this bar is not 4:1 depower?
The 4:1 is only on the race bar. The normal "airstyle" version of the bar just has a normal pull-pull strap depower.

Having 4:1 doesn't depower the kite more, it just makes it easier to pull the depower. The 4 to 1 bar might have a bit more range on the depower though.

Return to “Foil Kites”