Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Wizard at work? Psycho 5?

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:31 am

psycho5proto.jpg
Looks like Armin is playing around with a psycho5 proto in speed5 colours or perhaps a speed5 bridled to behave like a psycho. There must be only a handful of people that understand how this Flat kite powered C kite depower thing works. I hope Flysurfer can reach a point to release a new kite using it. The pyscho4 is unique.

3asy_pie
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Sonic 9m & 15m
Taaroa Sword 2

Re: Wizard at work? Psycho 5?

Postby 3asy_pie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:29 am

I've been waiting for this for so long! It is nice to see possible development on what the psycho 4 brought. I've only flown a friends and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I need wave foil to go with the sonic :eybrowe:

I've always heard though the psycho 4 had a tendency to go out of whack pretty badly due to line shrinkage. Hopefully that won't be much of an issue.

DvB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Switch Nitro 5, 12 & 9

Postby DvB » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:18 pm

Good to see Armin flies coach! I've almost convinced myself to buy an S5 12m, and I'd hate to think of some of my money going towards unnecessary luxury :wink:

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:59 pm

DvB wrote:Good to see Armin flies coach! I've almost convinced myself to buy an S5 12m, and I'd hate to think of some of my money going towards unnecessary luxury :wink:
How can any man convince himself to buy a purple kite? :D.

Actually, I want to address that here and hopefully Amin is here. I can feel his presence actually so great.

Dear, it may be acceptable for a man to fly a pink(HQ) or purple(FS) kite in Germany BUT in many parts of the world it's not and you should NEVER sell a kite with a femenine colour.

Purple is a feminine colour and I learned this at school in the nineties. Also human nature.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337

Postby foilholio » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:03 am

Easy it looks nice, especially on a bed lol.

Yes the pyscho4 had sensitive bridles, fixable with some restretching and/or tweaking at the mixer. They also dont like becoming leaky. I suspect the depowered shape relies a lot on the internal pressure. Still 6+ years of use is lots of value for money. Flysurfer by now should have a much better understanding how to design bridles to reduce shrink, Z is the main culprit. I am sure the fabric coatings will last longer too. Which opens the question, if a customer can use a kite for 6+ years and you improve durability how do you make money? I guess they could only use deluxe fabric, but it wont hold up as well in higher winds and crashes. I almost think they should offer the smaller kites in even heavier fabrics than standard.

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby The Captain » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:44 pm

corbett wrote:
DvB wrote:Good to see Armin flies coach! I've almost convinced myself to buy an S5 12m, and I'd hate to think of some of my money going towards unnecessary luxury :wink:
How can any man convince himself to buy a purple kite? :D.

Actually, I want to address that here and hopefully Amin is here. I can feel his presence actually so great.

Dear, it may be acceptable for a man to fly a pink(HQ) or purple(FS) kite in Germany BUT in many parts of the world it's not and you should NEVER sell a kite with a femenine colour.

Purple is a feminine colour and I learned this at school in the nineties. Also human nature.
Dude, you are overcompensating. Get over it. I appreciate being able to choose your preference, but if the colour of a kite keeps you away from it, you have bigger problems.
I hope you are trolling...

PS. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: for Psycho 5. I still fly and love my P4.

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:19 pm

Is there any room for Psycho5 in FS's product line or in the kite market? Many mid AR foilkite users have changed to Speeds or LEI's and I don't think they are coming back. FS says that Speed5 is universal kite for every kiter, and they have two LEI's which compete Psycho.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:58 am

Seriously? The pyscho4 is basically it's own category of kite there is almost nothing like it. Thats not even taking into account the 4.5-4.8ish AR vs the now speed 6.15, which alone sets them far apart. That sort of thinking says that there should only be high AR race inflatables. The pyscho4 covers almost 2 categories of kite, C kites and Ultra flat style. It has massive range, boosts, turns, drifts! Wave inflatables have poor range and suck at boosting. Flat inflatables don't drift.

Captain I think you missed the satire in Corbett's post. It's about conditioning as a child to attach meaning to certain colors. Hmm that sure took the fun out of it. bah. pink is gay. much better.

Return to “Foil Kites”