Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: sonic2 coming

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:41 pm

renaudbarbier wrote:but does it makes the kite slow in turn? the diablo has this non reactive bar feeling due to that. I hope FS found a compromise here...
I found my kite with diablo line turn faster and more reactive. The bar becomes much heavier though which makes turning require more force in a way, which is similar to a WAC. Thinking about it race kites like to pivot and stall turn, helicopter etc, the diablo line would make that harder. WAC should be better but needs more force.

What amazes me is everyone is drawn to the diablo line even flysurfer, when they invented the WAC which I think is better. No one even posts of trying it and it is so simple to implement, just 2 lines. Oh well maybe I am wrong.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:56 pm

foilholio wrote:What amazes me is everyone is drawn to the diablo line even flysurfer, when they invented the WAC which I think is better. No one even posts of trying it and it is so simple to implement, just 2 lines. Oh well maybe I am wrong.
Turbo increases camber at C. The current implementation of WAC increases camber at B.

Turbo multiplies the movement of Z relatively to A at the bar. WAC reduces movement of B C and Z by drawing A closer to the bar.

WAC is less likely to tangle IMO and more simple to implement.

I would describe Turbo as half way between adding WAC and a Crossbow style pulley bar (yuck) with distinctive advantages to both.

In my experience adding depower mixers to kites e.g. speed1 and blade 3 the affect of an A-B WAC is smaller on the flight characteristic of the powered airfoil because it pulls in A only a small amount. But the WAC line is very useful in allowing B to be over sheeted when the kite is powered. Therefore, the small amount of A-B movement allows steering inputs when the kite is far depowered.

Certainly I could accept there are kite experts with more experience to comment than me. And also trolls I would prefer not to feed as well.
Last edited by jakemoore on Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:08 pm

foilholio wrote: but would be nice if there was some kites other than high AR from the big brands. I am hoping ozone can convert one of their freeride opencells to closed or something.
FYI I have been flying the Summit 10m in waves and quite enjoy it. I only had it in the water once in 3 foot waves and it relaunched. Very lucky for me. So I'm at 100% water relaunch (n=1) with this open cell kite but mostly my kits stay dry and I am ready for the probability of a swim with any kite.

I hypothesize just sticking a pool noodle into the center cell of the Summit and cutting the collars out of the dirt outs allowing more effective water drainage would probably get me to about 80% water relaunch in a more statistically powerful trial. Plus I can't think of a better way to help PMU propagate the image of NPR listening, recumbent bike riding, foil kite riders than my Mr Noodle mod.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:50 pm

jakemoore wrote: Plus I can't think of a better way to help PMU propagate the image of NPR listening...foil kite riders
#RealLife

Davesails7 and I listen to hours of NPR podcasts when we do long road trips to foiling regattas...too funny.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:01 am

phpBB [video]

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:23 am

Wow it looks pretty.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:50 am

Maybe it is just the light but it looks like quite the deflection at the TE. It would pull very hard like that.

It is a nice shot and the kite looks good.

It looks like the tips are raked now and still have the flare. I wonder how much drag improvement this gives.

Return to “Foil Kites”