Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The problem with flysurfer mixers.

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:04 am

I don't think it was or just was their engineering that let them down, it was their military strategy, their leadership, ultimately going back to Hitler. What is amazing is many of the big problems in the world today can be traced back to that war.

HAHA I don't know if I am the king of shrink, it is just what I have and can be observed if you measure as you just have. Hopefully it works out for you, adjusting based on measurements doesn't always give the desired results, you can restretch the bridles or try adjusting the mixer gradually. I have surely written enough about what changing what does what, just have read around.

As to pullstrings he is just butthurt. Commonality I have seen with guys sworn off foil kites. They have some problem they can't solve, give up and switch LEIs only and remain bitter. Sure foils can not be easy in someways, but at least if you have some info you can find a solution much quicker. Misinformation is a killer though and why I wrote this thread. It's one thing for the likes of pullstrings to say something incorrect like foils can't relaunch with water in them, but another for something incorrect to come from flysurfer. Flysurfer had quite a bit of authority to me obviously as the designer of the kites, so when I became perplexed that doing one thing caused another I didn't investigate further if it had to be that way.
PullStrings wrote:No...kite flew perfectly all the time afterwards... when i did it

Get an LEI kite and the problems you have will disappear
If the kite flew perfectly why don't you still have it? :-) :-) :-) and how will an LEI be better than a kite that flew perfectly?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:10 pm

foilholio wrote: If the kite flew perfectly why don't you still have it?
I rode it so much that the UV made it change color to poop brown and at that moment LEI specialized light wind kites came on the scene. Bye Bye old looking air mattress :bye:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:05 pm

So it still performed perfectly you just didn't like the look of it? How do you think the kite feels about this? :lol:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:19 pm

I'm sure it had mixed emotions

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FredBGG » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:30 pm

The mixer is mainly there to deal with the wear of the pulley lines. Treat your pulley lines with sail coat and they will last a lot longer.
Even better treat them with Sailkote and a little bit of bow string wax. Put the bow string wax on first. very little of it. Then spray the lines with Sailkote. The Sailkote will take the wax into the fibers of the pulley lines.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:23 am

Haha fred you are going to invoke vervet with talk like that :lol:

Serious though it is a good suggestion, works on boards too :wink:

one does wonder though if you are sponsored by mclube? You could try the hydrofoil section for maximum product exposure :lol:
PullStrings wrote:I'm sure it had mixed emotions
I bet! How many have you done this to now ?

RudiCan
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RudiCan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:27 am

hey foilholio,

I've just run into something ugly: I said that my pulley lines are OK because they are brand new. Now, that was incorrect. They were unused, but probably they were what came with the kite in the spare parts package, so they were unused, but old. I just measured it when I wanted to do the change in the c main/b main length and to my big surprise one was 93cm instead of the standard 100cm, the other was 112 instead of 120cm. That didn't feel good. :(
I took them off and tried to stretch it back to the specs, but it snapped. :((((( My original language is rich in swear words, I used many of them. And it seems I'm not going to get away with this issue without learning splicing. :(

Anyways, actually here we are trying deal with the symptoms, but the root cause is the line stretch/shrink. Do you (or other readers) have an idea where to get the least bad lines?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:53 am

What can I say! Those things shrink without even using them. Stretching them is difficult, and back to original like any line impossible. I am amazed you snapped one as they are meant to hold 400kg+, how did you do that? :o . In future instead of trying to stretch just use a zmod and mixertest or even just the mixertest. A brummel splice is nice and easy with no stitching needed, you can even just use knots to replace the pulleylines. As to buying line try a sailing shop.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:07 pm

foilholio wrote:
PullStrings wrote:I'm sure it had mixed emotions
I bet! How many have you done this to now ?
16 ram airs over the years

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Mixer test needed time to SELL!! SOLD!!

Return to “Foil Kites”