Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone R1 V2 and tech talk

Postby foilholio » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:42 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaFfd_MP3zs

R1 V2 looks really good. Ozone has the smoothest looking canopy of all the brands. The packing bag looks good and I have always wondered about the battens losing shape. Interesting they mention not folding the kite in the same spot as it causes wear. I would agree with this, but how I can do this conveniently is a bit of a mystery as I don't like bringing a bag with me. They mention the V2 is 20d(denier) about 36gsm on the top and 10d about 23gsm on the bottom. It should be really light. I wonder if it is better to place the stronger fabric on top which is the opposite of what flysurfer is doing for the sonic2. They have added adjustments for their mixer! My main complaint about the pulley used, the ronstan orbit 20, is it is far too heavy and I feel not sand tolerant. The break loads for it are far in excess of what is needed. Would be nice to see a new pulley developed either a half sized orbit 10 or an updated kite block.

Someone asked the question if they could glue the stitching, they answered it is too hard to manufacture. I think I have a solution to that.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Ozone R1 V2 and tech talk

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:03 pm

foilholio wrote: Someone asked the question if they could glue the stitching, they answered it is too hard to manufacture. I think I have a solution to that.
I think the question was if they can do glue-only stitching without needing to sew the seams. The guy prefaced the question by asking about porosity of the sail because of the needle pokes during manufacturing.

Do you think it would be possible to do a glue-only seam on a racekite that gets loaded up as much as these do?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:44 pm

No I was thinking a solution to the holes created by sewing. Although the holes do largely seal with the thread, there must still be some gap. If instead of using coated fabric, uncoated fabric was used and the kite coated before the bridles are attached. Could either use an inflate and spray or a wash and inflate process. Benefit is the kites stitch holes will be sealed , the stitching more secure and the seams ,especially the edges that fray easy, will hold down better and be stronger.

I also think that a more porous fabric should be used on cell walls to aid inflation.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Makes sense to me having the thicker material on the top skin. That's the skin that gets the most wear launching and landing.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:02 am

Good point. I think in crashes the top skin will rip before the bottom. The bottom seems more prone to ripping against waves though.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:04 pm

More info here, in case you might not have seen it.[vimeo https://vimeo.com/168670635][/vimeo]

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:25 am

https://vimeo.com/168670635

Great looking kite. Nice to see some more adjustability in the mixer, Rob obviously listens.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 am

@foilholio - Agreed, looks great. I guess there's been a need to be able to make "subtle" adjustments so the option is now available.
New design and manufacturing techniques as well,presumably this technology will make it's way to the Chrono's at some point.
Thanks for posting the video in that format, I tried several times but only managed to provide the link.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:55 am

I am always reminded of "How long is a piece of string?" and there is a hell of a lot of string on foils. There is just no way to live with foils without some sort of adjustments. Great to see Ozone improving things. If you saw my thread viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392205 flysurfers have far from got the perfect mixer adjustment system yet. I also think their mixer is too over built and the way they do adjustments is actually more confusing than just playing with Z like you can on Ozones. Will be interesting to see what Ozone does as I have been thinking about how to design one better. I have a few ideas. So far I am thinking to have 2 or 3 knots to adjust the Z attachment point like on Ozones but also one as a stopper so you can adjust the effective length of C pulley line. Then in addition an adjustment to lengthen B pulley line. This would be on the C pulley end so it would be easy to adjust and just probably part of the B pulley line. In my head it is much simpler than flysurfers setup and should be able to achieve all possible needed adjustments, with quick setting changes by merely moving the Z attachment to different knots. Foils are really great when you start changing settings and line lengths the wind ranges become truly massive.

Paste the link between here

Return to “Foil Kites”