Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: The Monjet Ninox

Postby Bille » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 am

joriws wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:14 pm
Sorry Bille, I am not the rider but the videographer.
Still really COOL !!

Bille

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Europ2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm

stefarius wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm
Hope Ozone starts developing this technic in their snowkite series.
Maybe a Hybrid. :naughty:
Gin has just released the Shaman. Very stable and forgiving using a mix of mono-skin and cells
Wingtip instability during turns corrected with introduction of 2 open cells per tip.
A speed system with a ring offers a large depower.
Hopefully, a water model with closed cells soon.... :D

http://ginkites.com/product/shaman-snowkite-freeride

Tested in this vid: Red 9 and Yellow 6 sqm. The bar is the Gin Iced Bar

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 pm

The shape looks cleaner than Peak

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 pm

I suppose that thanks to the closed cells at the wings of the shaman, we can hope better L/D ratio than the peak, hence better speed and lift.
Also hope that the long-waiting Ninox is better on this point
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind
Been thanked: 0

Postby stefarius » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Europ2 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm
stefarius wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm
Hope Ozone starts developing this technic in their snowkite series.
Maybe a Hybrid. :naughty:
Gin has just released the Shaman. Very stable and forgiving using a mix of mono-skin and cells
Wingtip instability during turns corrected with introduction of 2 open cells per tip.
A speed system with a ring offers a large depower.
Hopefully, a water model with closed cells soon.... :D

http://ginkites.com/product/shaman-snowkite-freeride

Tested in this vid: Red 9 and Yellow 6 sqm. The bar is the Gin Iced Bar

Nice, can't wait to test them.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:06 am

Hard to believe turning of the Shaman is very much similar to foil kites. Single skins react faster (a bit like LEI's), and because of the less inertia and more drag they peak their power early. Foils are slow at the beginning (inertia), but if given time to accelerate (enough room to fly) they reach higher speeds and give more power. Static pull is much stronger in single skins though, they can sit much deeper in WW without backstalling.

I like how Shaman looks and it has quite a lot AR and panels also.

I know Peaks. Their disadvantages are not so smooth power delivery (a bit on-off depower) and boosting with them is almost impossible. Also bar feel is not very good, sheeted in it is quite heavy and it feels flapping of the kite when it happens. But I don't know how much better Peak3 is than previous models.

I didn't end up make my own ss a hybrid like Monjet but just a relatively simple single skin kite. I managed to do some things/details better than before so I'm cautiously optimistic :wink:

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:06 am
I didn't end up make my own ss a hybrid like Monjet but just a relatively simple single skin kite. I managed to do some things/details better than before so I'm cautiously optimistic :wink:
Like Pan Tau software on another thread, single skin (SS) SW do exist. This one hasn't been updated since 2015, however, very promisong for our use... Who will be the first to test .... :D
https://sourceforge.net/projects/singleskin/

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Sat May 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Any update on the Monjet Ninox?

Does somebody tried it?

Any plans for a 15m?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun May 06, 2018 3:26 am

I would think quirks in the design given how much it has changed over time. The designer might be obsessed with waiting to only release something that would build a good name, which is good, think James Dyson, or even Armin Harich :-) Not like many "past" inflato companies or redundant designers like the kit expert.

Interesting the Gin single skin uses triangle cells on the tips. I wondered if they tried closing them and water relaunch??

I have seen it mentioned single skins can have quite a bit of inertia, makes sense in that there is quite an air mass supporting the kite as in normal foils. Also my experience flying them they are quite slow. Peak do have quick depower, the method used seems to dump or flag part of the canopy.

A water relaunchable single skin is high on my desired to own or try list, that is if they work well which we will see. I wonder what prototypes flysurfer has tried in that area though.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 am

I also tried the FS Peak in snow this winter and I saw a lot of potential in water, but big companies don't seem to be agree with us.

For the kind of light wind conditions I ride (seabreeze that progressively builds up and then pogressively goes down until it dies completely) I think the weight saving of a single skin would be more beneficial than the water relaunch because anyway when your kite goes down in that conditions, never go up again. Then also the single skin would be easier to pack and swim.

Return to “Foil Kites”