Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Fyn Denmark
Style: Jumping Big airstyle having Fun
Gear: Fs sonic 18 naish draft 17 12 9
Core fusion 134. And 149 Lw
Brand Affiliation: None

self land when powered.

Postby Lars Madsen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Well I often end op inn very powered condition on my fs sonic 18, Its fun:-)
Often alone.
I take it down to the limet of the wind window all the way down to the ground and qr relies.
most the time its ok, but some times it fly op and tangle the mixer in the small line, very funny for every body els.

I have this ide that it could be possible at the edge of the wind window and close to the ground to back stall it very quickly .
Well it fills a little scary to do, and I not shore it is possible to do?

I back stall it when not so powered , but never done it when I was at the limet what I can hold down.

I am thinking of getting my self a 11 sonic for the powered stof, but the tangle thing when self land is holding me back.
the 18 m I have had for 1 year now and the big tangle when landing is 4 times, so maybe not that bad

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: self land when powered.

Postby plummet » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:32 am

Here's another idea for high wind solo land on a foil.

The solo teathered land at the edge of the window.

Depower and teather the chicken loop like you would teather landing a lei.
Now get the kite to 10.30 -11ish. Let go of the bar. The kite will slowly fall down.
Run and catch the wing tip like an assisted land.

I have done this several times and it has worked everytime.

Perhaps practice in light wind first so you can get a handle in exactly where to position the kite so you can catch it in time.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:25 am

Interesting idea plummet.

You can also tether the kite backstalled. Backstall the kite standing near something to use as anchor, with the bar sheeted in hold the rear leaders in the center and clip leash around both and the depower rope, tie the leash to the anchor or you can tie it before backstalling.

Yes you can backstall in the side of the window, works in light wind or into wind shadows. If it goes wrong though your kite will get dragged across the ground. Does your kite have a stopper? If it doesn't stop or has too much slack in the bridles flagged it will tangle more. You can also add a fifth line.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:59 am

plummet wrote:Here's another idea for high wind solo land on a foil.

Now get the kite to 10.30 -11ish. Let go of the bar. The kite will slowly fall down.

Perhaps practice in light wind first so you can get a handle in exactly where to position the kite so you can catch it in time.
That works fine till a gust hits, the kite powers up and zooms to the zenith out of your reach and snaps the chicken loop as it heads to the other side of the window, to float downwind and come to rest in the trees with the lines strung across the road.

I got a couple dozen successful landings until it went wrong. Back to back stalling and using the tether to hold the rear lines...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:36 am

Kamikuza wrote:

That works fine till a gust hits, the kite powers up and zooms to the zenith out of your reach and snaps the chicken loop as it heads to the other side of the window, to float downwind and come to rest in the trees with the lines strung across the road.

I got a couple dozen successful landings until it went wrong. Back to back stalling and using the tether to hold the rear lines...
You must have some shitty flysurfer chicken loop. Get an ozone bar and lines and yourl be fine.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 am

plummet wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:

You must have some shitty flysurfer chicken loop. Get an ozone bar and lines and yourl be fine.
No thanks, I've got enough 18th-century agricultural equipment in my shed. I bet some of them are still under warranty too.

Now I replace all my CL when the hook has worn a hole in the PU tubing, so I don't expect that to happen again. And I won't be tether landing a 21m kite in 20 knots either...

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New England. So much better than moldy Old England.
Style: Adapt and overcome.
Gear: Foils and skis.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:59 am

You guys must have some incredibly stable winds. Ghost landing a Sonic would never happen here and would be incredibly dangerous.

Install a stall handle on the back lines and tail stall landings become a lot easier. Side window edge makes it easier but there's no reason why you can tailmstall an 18m from 12 o'clock edge into the power zone when you have stall handles. Sure with an 18m Sonic it will come down ith some grunt in reverse and youll have to resist some pull (not like the pull unstalled) but we do it that way all the time. Why FS doesn't spec kites with stall handles i have no idea.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:07 am

I've seen people anchor to the chicken loop and have it go bad. Gust hits, ripped out the anchor (18" ice screw) and the ice it was anchored in (about 1 cubic foot). The kite went up and the ice Chuck with the anchor, hit another kiter that was nearby. Fortunately a glancing blow and to her helmet. The screw got bent, the trim on the bar gut damage and the kite was damaged. Major learning experience for us all that day.

Unless it's a Peak, LEI or Arc, anchoring by the CL is a bad idea.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 am

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:27 am

There is method to back stall across the window from the side to the center. It needs space and is not as simple as from straight over head, but can feel easier. If you can find a wind shadow to back stall into it makes holding the kite by the lines very easy. I always walk up all 4 lines for grip if anything gets too difficult I let go of 2 from one side, you could then let go of all of them if you were force to. The most difficulty I have is making the backstall soft so I don't damage the kite. The sonic is quite fast back stalled and seems to generate power as well like that.

Return to “Foil Kites”