For all foil kite riders

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, LF, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: self land when powered.

Postby joriws » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:01 pm

I use this technique when I don't have anchor around. Walk along lines and when walked about the lenght of kite span then keep only one steering line and continue walking. The kite will flag out.

phpBB [video]

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:07 pm

I don't think its safe to backstall a closed cell kite unless its in light winds, if u can kitesurf with it its porbally too windy and not a good idea . I can see where this can go bad very fast especially with the fact that ure trying to go up those line to the kite while its still fairly powered so one slip up and the kite could try to launch or worse u could tangle a line around your finger while the kite now tries to launch , bad idea. and I have closed cell so I'm talking from experience. No manufacturer would put stall handles on because they know its dangerous. I was thinking of getting a 5th line for my closed cell specifically for a safe self landing option .

Adventure Logs
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: The world
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer Physco 4, Speed 4 Lotus, Sonic 2
Nobile T5
Nobile Split Foil, Carbon Split
Slightshot hoverglide
Flysurfer Flysplit M, L

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:49 pm

joriws wrote:I use this technique when I don't have anchor around. Walk along lines and when walked about the lenght of kite span then keep only one steering line and continue walking. The kite will flag out.

phpBB [video]
I would be very careful landing that gen of Speeds that way. I've tore the internal webbing on my 10m landing it like that on two different occasions.

This is how I land my Sonic 18m though. Once the kite touches down, I run in the opposite direction to help reduce dragging across the ground.

I use to put landing straps on my flysurfer bars but with the new leash, I don't think it's needed. The larger metal hook works great with the line bars. Trim for full power, backstall it, clip the leash/tether on the steering lines above the top, and run up to the kite. When my Sonic was fresh I could just let the kite sit that way for as long as I wanted. But now, if I don't hurry and run right up to it, the trailing edge will fold up and invert the kite and essentially relaunching the kite. I had this happen once and luckily just broke the leash. I can trim it sometimes to get it to just sit there, but I no longer trust it.

=J-

I've flown Ozone Chronos as well with their racebar. If I had to choose between just the strap or the line balls, I'd pick the line balls.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:09 pm

windrider

Riding on surfboards ,or even more so hydrofoils, is quite under powered. Even so a method like this is still possible with a large amount of power in the kite. I prefer to use all 4 lines for grip and sometimes using the rears only or too much of them will cause the kite to invert and reverse fly. If you are smart about it there is no reason to wrap and get tangled in anything. Anyway foils are much more mundane when tangles occur and don't tend to death loop or even fly at all for that matter. Foils are also nearly harmless with no line tension blowing along the ground, inflatables are somewhat too, people often don't realize without the lines being held nothing is going to fly. If you are smart and follow the golden rule of kite sports "keep your downwind clear" no one is going to get hurt, except maybe the kite. Foils also have an amazing ability to get stuck on almost anything, even simply if they get wet as soon as they hit some sand the weight and friction collected will prevent them from moving even in very strong winds. Any way just my 5000ish experiences landing like this and many other situations :D but for sure open cells are safer.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:22 pm

I have only used a strap a little bit but found it harder to relaunch and land and it got in the way, maybe it would seem easier to new riders. With the strap it didn't seem as possible to go from reverse to full tension on one rear to rotate the kite. With the balls you just let go of one to do this. Becomes quite important in light winds as the time and space you have to clear one of the wing tips above the water is quite small. It is also possible to relaunch one handed with balls. Both balls in one hand :o , pull, release one, release the other. I will admit getting drowned in a wave the one handed strap does look easier. Balls also offer more control reverse landing. Basically I think the strap is easier for the basic stuff and the balls are a bit harder but offer more control.

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:24 pm

Its great u guys feel comfortable doing this but its just too sketchy for me. When i say winds strong enough to kitesufy i mean on a twintip obviously. Last time my kite released accidentally in the water and while trying to stabalise the kite before i knew it i felt something tensioning around my foot and guess wht it was my leash . :o Now picture me hurriedly trying to get it off from around my foot as i was not sure wht was happening . Lol . I dont need any more risky ways of doing things the sport is risky enough.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:01 am

I feel extremely comfortable in the low to mid/high range but high to very high range is a bit iffy, getting the kite to the ground in those winds and not getting dragged is probably the hardest bit. Once it is on the ground I have a simple rule, "it's not going back up". When I hold the depower rope in the center with the two leaders I can feel the force and I can then reach up and see if I can hold the lines while keeping the other hand as safety next to the bar. I then carefully hand to hand always holding with one make my way up the lines. In a few seconds I can be at a safe flagging distance and flag the kite by hand if I need to or something goes wrong. I can also let the kite go, often a wall etc will be directly downwind which is another way of landing. If at anytime in the landing process either before I back stall or after I don't feel comfortable maybe the space isn't good etc or something goes wrong I will hit the release. I always keep the lines clear to one side, "if" I ever drop them I run out of the way and then collect the kite. Getting tangled is quite scary, I have had my wrists and ankles on different occasions and been dragged by them and couple times around my neck , foot , whole body ,arms and harness. Nothing to do with landing but a good reason to be under powered surfing.

Big foils are the worst for landing, they hit there high range very quick and their general range isn't very big. I would use a fifth line on them if I was new to foils.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:02 am

foilholio wrote:I feel extremely comfortable in the low to mid/high range but high to very high range is a bit iffy, getting the kite to the ground in those winds and not getting dragged is probably the hardest bit. Once it is on the ground I have a simple rule, "it's not going back up". When I hold the depower rope in the center with the two leaders I can feel the force and I can then reach up and see if I can hold the lines while keeping the other hand as safety next to the bar. I then carefully hand to hand always holding with one make my way up the lines. In a few seconds I can be at a safe flagging distance and flag the kite by hand if I need to or something goes wrong. I can also let the kite go, often a wall etc will be directly downwind which is another way of landing. If at anytime in the landing process either before I back stall or after I don't feel comfortable maybe the space isn't good etc or something goes wrong I will hit the release. I always keep the lines clear to one side, "if" I ever drop them I run out of the way and then collect the kite. Getting tangled is quite scary, I have had my wrists and ankles on different occasions and been dragged by them and couple times around my neck , foot , whole body ,arms and harness. Nothing to do with landing but a good reason to be under powered surfing.

Big foils are the worst for landing, they hit there high range very quick and their general range isn't very big. I would use a fifth line on them if I was new to foils.
Big is more than 15? The 21 is a bit of a nuisance and you can guarantee Mr Murphy will crank up the wind to 20 knots a few moments after I'm out on the water :roll:

MY S3 15 is my go to foil for TT riding, and I like a lot of power. When it's nuts, I prefer to have a helper land me but there's only 2 guys I trust to do it here, so 99% of the time I'm self-landing.

Back-stall and either hand-over-hand to the kite (ready to let go and hold one sides lines) or, if the beach is clear of other people kites :roll: tether it to the steering lines. Not a huge fan of using the safety to land, that's absolute last ditch method.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:25 am

Big is probably relative to your weight, I would say over 12m is where it starts, my 22 deserves some respect lol. I like to land in lulls if I can. If I can't ride it is good incentive to pack up.

Have you tried flagging on the front and rear line instead of just the one ? I find it works well and grabbing at both is quite easy as they split into a v from the hand still hold all the lines. 2 times the lines 2 times the grip. Same as using all 4 is easier than the rears, though I guess there is more chance for something to go wrong.

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cypher 7 & Cypher 9, Reo 8m, Naish Trip 10m, Switch NitroII 10m Pansh A15 12m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Why not pull the safety release on the water?
If well designed equipment this should keep rider and equipment in one piece.
Added benefit is the practise of safety procedures that could later be essential skills.

Only disadvantage is that you need to have a garage to dry your kite...

Return to “Foil Kites”