Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Pansh Aurora2 it's here!

Postby foilholio » Tue May 17, 2016 4:24 am

Hoped on the pansh website and looky looky http://www.panshkite.com/index.php?gOo= ... oductname=

Wow looks good mini cells on the trailing edge, profile and arc looks nicer. Whats this? An ultra light version with thinner bridles and lighter higher quality fabric wow. This may be the lightest kite available now! I hope the A15 gets that option I might have to sell and buy a new one :-) Also of note is a zip like on the A15 YAY! and magnetic blowoffs! I have to say I never liked the zips on flysurfers but this lightweight one on pansh is quite good.

Pics http://www.panshkite.com/index.php?gOo= ... oodsid=407

Looking at the pics I think it might change projected area!

look at the arc change on the slack side left and the tight side right.
aurora2 curved and flat.jpg
and the arc here
aurora2 curved.jpg
vs this
aurora2 flat.jpg
wow that is flat it would pull like a truck.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Re: Pansh Aurora2 it's here!

Postby edt » Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 pm

wow looks great. let us know if you get one foilholio.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Fone Bandit, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Their site does not properly calculate the price. It gives 50% discount , but then you go check out the price is back to full 100%. I wrote to them.

How light do you think "ultra light version" will be. I am thinking of 12M ultra light.

4mo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Postby 4mo » Tue May 17, 2016 5:45 pm

So this is a higher aspect race style kite vs. the A15 being a more mid aspect free ride kite?

Which would be better for lightwind foil boarding? Depending on how I like my 12m A15 over next month or so I might consider adding a 15m. Thoughts?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed May 18, 2016 1:14 am

It's a bit weird they took down the old Aurora page. The graphics on the Aurora 2 and 1 are exactly the same. The old Aurora from memory was 37 cells(edit for mistake, actually 31 cells from the waybackmachine so no different), vs this new one at 31,and the A15 at 33. The span of the 15m Aurora is 9.2m vs the 15m A15 which is 8.48m so the Aurora2 is definitely a bit higher AR like the aurora1 was, but with a lower cell count now, so lighter. They state the lighter fabric is 25% lighter, it will be of more use on the larger 15-22m sizes than the smaller ones, but if you are using 12m kites on hydrofoils and they already fall from the air maybe it is an option for that size. I think they are still updating the site because I didn't notice the ultra light check boxes when I made this thread. Sad it looks like you are force to buy their bar if you want the nice lines :-( Still a ok deal at half price just from the lines but the bar is not brilliant and the chicken loop crap.

I just check the half price you need to click buy on the kite and it shows as half price in the cart.

Looking at the line diagram the tip is very interesting as C connects where on some kites B normally and others A does . Then a ring I guess on a sliding line connects where C normally is . I have heard B like this twists the wing and makes it turn faster. I guess C will even more so.
aurora2linediagram.jpg
Last edited by foilholio on Wed May 18, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Fone Bandit, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Wed May 18, 2016 7:14 am

Aurora one was also 31 cells. Here is a copy of the old page:
So new Aurora 2 12M should weight around 1.95 kg
And 19M Aurora2 should be 2.77 kg
Pretty damn light.

19M Aurora 2 is lighter than my 15m Sonic which is 3.1 kg.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150219075 ... oductname=

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed May 18, 2016 10:44 am

Sorry my bad memory I was sure the aurora1 had more cells...

What are you basing your calculations on? I would guess the standard aurora2 would have similar weight to the A15 which is lighter than the aurora1. Assuming the 25% less weight is real for the ultralight , which it probably is looking at the fishing line bridles. The 15m A15 is 2.9kg so the ultra light Aurora 2 would be 2.175kg, 12m A15 is 2.5kg so ultralight Aurora2 1.875kg, my 18m A15 is 3.5kg so ultralight Aurora 2 2.65kg. Which makes them lighter than the lotus by a lot and just about blows my mind lol. Durability will be interesting, but with the price I could buy a new one each year.

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FS

Postby kitexpert » Wed May 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Cell count is lowish for that AR, it makes kite lighter but at the cost of aerodynamics. A-B-C-Z line locations by the chord are reasonable and conventional. There is a clear difference from A15 kite, in which locations are a bit odd.

For me it does not leave very good impression to see some basic design parameters to change from kite to another. Of course there is some room for changes here, but it seems for Pansh especially... Big foilkite brands have found their way a long time ago.

Bridle spacing is quite ambitious, a low drag one. Unfortunately bridle cascading is mostly missing, there is again ridiculously long straight lines from the canopy to the speedsystem. And if I see correctly there is c7 pulleyline 1:2 on top of the C, FS used a bit similar years ago and it tend to shrink badly. Achieved total pulley ratio is however correct for that point.

Canopy curve is quite flat. This means good PA ratio and less good turning speed. Miniribs are of course a good thing and wing looks clean in some pictures. Good.

This kite would be better if cell count and bridle was better designed. It looks now non-professional work, more than 10 years out of date in that respect. But wing looks ok at least and kite is very light weight. Strange combination.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu May 19, 2016 6:15 am

The simple cascading is needed for projected area changes. We will see, it looks a simple design but if it indeed changes projected area it is cutting edge. I think there is a market for better weight over 100% best L/D, this is why kites like the cloud are doing so well.

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FS

Postby kitexpert » Thu May 19, 2016 10:00 pm

"The simple cascading is needed for projected area changes." -foilholio

No, I don't think so. It is just a bad design. Cell count, bridle spacing and bridle cascadings link to each other, in that case quite badly. I don't say this ruins the kite, but why to do it like that? Why not copy big brands, they have more or less optimized bridles many years ago.

Powered wingtip looks good anyway, helps turning for sure. If you meant that for PA change it is not much.

I don't see Aurora2 having changing PA. "Change" in canopy curve is probably due to different picture angles or two different kites.

Cloud has a high turning speed, that is something you will not get from any foilkite. When I see BRM owner riding he surely do fly his kites.

Aurora2 has to compete against racekites and low weight LEI's. It does not have the effieciency of the racefoil nor the fast turning speed or simplicity of LEI. Of course it is very cheap kite.

Return to “Foil Kites”