Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Concept'air 12m Pulsion kite

For all foil kite riders
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Concept'air 12m Pulsion kite

Postby omg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:28 pm

hey, does the 12m version jump well (for snowkiting/freestyle) or is it more for lightwind hydrofoil solution?

Is there a big difference in flying qualities between the light and normal canopy material?

I am 78kg, for hydrofoiling, what would be my lowend, approximately, please?

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby irwe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm

I (73 kg) ride the 12 M Concept Air "Light" for KBH only. I take it out in 8 kts plus but it will stay in the air with 4 kts.
Benoit does not recommend the Light material for snowkiting. I have not had any issues with it in the water.
It would be a good foil kite for snowkiting and freestyle in the Regular material. I think you would be having fun in 10 kts plus.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Hello

About Jump (With a TT board); I love it ; I am just a "normal freeride jumper" (no freestyle) I must say; I made the highest jump I did with the P12m because it is a good mix : you have a part of the hang time of a race foil but also part of the agility of a LEI , so jump is easy to launch, good float in the air, and re-powering the kite is easy and safer than a race foilkite; so, maybe less "dynamic" than a LEI; less hang time than a Racefoil kite, but even with limited skills you can jump high, and return safely on earth; now for a pure freestyler that uses the whole potential of its LEI I cannot tel you; similarly for a rider that makes old school tricks with a race foil kite in its high end, I cannot tell ...

About snow kite: I initially choose to swap from speed4 Lotus to Concept'air for snow kite application (speed4 was a good kite for hydrofoiling but its loop was too large for snow kiting); tested once on the snow last year and it was really really pleasant and far better than Speed4 for slope mounting in between trees ; Thanks to its unbeatable stay in the air , stability and quick powerfull turn with boost effect; here is the video (already posted so sorry for people that have seen it)
https://vimeo.com/207356760; very light wind that day, never tested its high end on the snow;

About light weight materials: There are three cloth:
- Standard (40 gr/m2 like DlX from flysurfer) : more resistant ; so best choice in small sizes or snow kiting
- Universal (32 gr/m2 like Lotus from flysurfer) : good compromise for light wind in water or on snow if soil is not too harsh and limited kite crashes
- Skytex 27 (27 gr/m2 like old S2 Silver Arrow from flysurfer or Ozone R1V2 and now intrados of Sonic race) ; the highest of all for impressive stay in the air.

I had the first Pulsion 12m in skytex and then another in Universal 32 (curiosity ...) ; weight difference is significant but still acceptable for a 12m on hydrofoil ; relaunch is better since more hydrophobic and repellant like the Lotus ; however for 15m or 18m for winds below 6 knots, the better stiffness of skytex and weight saving is my preference on the water.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:37 pm

So am I able to ride wi HF starting at 6 knots or does it take more? I can get going in 9 knots with my LEI already so there's no point for Pulsion 12m if it only gives me 1 knot earlier start, say around 8 knots?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:07 pm

which size of LEI ? for Hydrofoil planning, Pulsion 12m start as early as Speed4 Lotus 15m or even race foil kite (but less speed and upwind angle) ; yesterday I was riding 2 hours when a guy could not keep the sonic V2 stable enough to go out of shore.
Low end value depends on the HF model and line length 5and weight of rider of course) ; a friend of mine 73 kg says he rides from 6-7 knots ; personally with 60 kg I would say 5-6 but wind measurement is hazardous in this range.

Now if you look for ultimate low end with 78 kg on hydrofoil, I would rather choose the 15m or 18m (15m remains compatible with snowkite for 78 kg, 18m I doubt). Personally with my light weight I can even save one additional knot with the 15m but less fun and poor high end in my case (10-11 knots max)

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks, my 15 LEI is Storm Voyager 3 strutless, and I believe it starts between 8 and 9 knots. I would prefer 12m over bigger sizes because of the less highend and agility the bigger sizes bring. I am interested in the Pulsion's powerstroke and agility (if 12 meter foil kite has such).

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:55 am

ok I understand but I am affraid that you will have an overlap with your 15m strutless ( unless it is to replace it) and will not save a lot of low end (kite will stay better in the air (say 4 knots in deep water) but not significant additional power compared to your 15m stutless to waterstart ; even with my light weight I find a low end difference between the Pulsion 12m and the Pulsion 15m; and if we scale-up to your weight, me in 15m2 correpsonds to you in ... 19m2.

So in a nutshell : extreme low end is Pulsion 15m or Pulsion 18m (same low end dixit Benoit) for your weight IMO ; 12m will be possible from 7 knots IMO with line extensions, so comparable to your current strutless; Pulsion remains more agile than race foilkites (and better boost effect during the loop) but still slower than a LEI, specially below 7 knots; the 15m will turn slower than you strutless but makes you ride at higher speed / upwind angle when parked and stay in the air / relaunch in lower winds.

Hope this can help you.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 pm

I agree with Regis-de-giens there would be alot of overlap with your SV 3. The difference would be in the extreme low end where the CA P would stay in the air in one or two knots less and avoid a swim in.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:13 pm

Following a request on PM here is a comparatible estimation I made on 15m Pulsion weight impact of cloth type :

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 am

Here is a (long) video I made last week in very few wind ( 4-6 measured on a official wind meter: windfinder) ; but I would rather say 6 (average), 5-7 with very punctual lulls of 4 knots .
For impatients riders (or Pink Floyd haters :jump: ), you can go directly to :
- 3:00 punctual lull of about 4-5 knots before a waterstart
- 3:27 & 5:20 : another rider with a North Ace 17.5 (Very skilled and recognized racer performing all type of transitions and 360 jumps in this light wind; significant difference in speed (17.5 m2 + race kite + short lines + skills)
- 4:52 : a tack trial that led to almost loose the Pulsion: we can see its good stability
- 5:33 : 2 differents technics for light wind waterstart
- 6:57 : kite in the water in a lull , then a relaunch in very light wind (4-5 knots I would say)
https://vimeo.com/241470644

Return to “Foil Kites”