Want moar Foilholio?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Concept'air new Pulsion kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon May 23, 2016 7:47 pm

Corbett: Come on man! That belongs in the sexiest kite pic thread.

Regis: Does it have leading edge stiffeners like the Sonics and The Speed4 Deluxe?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue May 24, 2016 3:11 am

ROFL
no no that's enough!

Flyfish
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyfish » Tue May 24, 2016 4:08 am

Regis,
How do you feel the durability of the light material is? Do you think it will last?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue May 24, 2016 6:04 am

Yes it has stifners on the whole leading edge like sonic. It helps launching in light wind. This also means that it could even have been lighter. :roll:

Regarding material it seems durable at fisrt sight. But only use and use will confirm. Its crispy, and seems far more robust than previous Silver Arrow of the speed2, but i cannot guaranty since i bought only used speed2 silver arrow.
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Tue May 24, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue May 24, 2016 6:46 am

Wow so light and with LE stiffeners. I wonder how much they weigh.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue May 24, 2016 7:57 am

The stiffeners I used for my custom single skin were approx 1.2gr / meter , so I would bet in the range of 15 grams only for the Pulsion.

Let me precise another point: I was able reach a so low light wind ride probably because of the combination of my personal light weight and large foil wing ( wonderful Ketos Easy); I think this "performance" won't be the same for "normal" weight and "normal" foil ; in another word, this 12m kite does not pull more than another 12m foil kite when riding; it is just staying in the air with less wind and is both more stable and agile ; grunt power should be similar as a S4 11m Lotus as a first guess (Lotus seems flater, but I do not know the projected area of Pulsion) ; difficult to compare with a LEI Because I never rode below 8 knots with a 9m2 LEI). It was my first trial, maybe with experience a heavier rider could so the same but I cannot ensure. I can just report what Benoit told me after my session debrief to him this week-end (translation) : "I (Benoit) weight 88kg and I have riden with Hydrofoil with 4 knots with this kite, and this kite stays in the air with 2 knots, when it falls down means there is no wind". I think also has a Easy foil. I trust him ; knowing that knots measures becomes less objectives in such poor wind, even wind meters will vary much depending on the model (I have two, one would have indicated approx 4-5 knots, the other ... 0 knots due to friction)

Last comment regarding the question I forgot to answer about the comparison with FS peak : Pulsion has definitelly a better flying window and speed than peak (and fun), far better, nothing to compare. It is quite close to speed4 lotus ; I would bet it is close to ex-Speed4 dlx. So in a nutshell I feel it hangs in the air like a peak but flies and pulls like a S4 dlx.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri May 27, 2016 9:31 am

Regis-de-giens wrote: Waves/surf :
A friend of mine had received a proto type in 6.5m and used it in waves which is is its main demand; report here ( in french sorry) : http://www.lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... art#p33204 ; the aspect ratio of the 6.5 tested was less than 5 but I cannot recall the value.
I am not an expert on waves and tried the pulsion only one and in hydrofoil ( main practice for me), but i would say it is very promising, as it is both stable and agile, and generates less power when crossing the wind window than a FS speed ( which is my main foil kite reference on water); it also flies well on front lines only (still well stable when I catch the front line in my hands)
I have recovered this interesting test still from Stephane, with the 9m as well (wave foilkites rider on a surf, no hydrofoil):
http://www.lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... m&start=20

Interessting to see that Puislion seems to fullfill its wishes for its surf need : a light wind wave kite ( not hyper light application like for hydrofoil, but stable and agile in the range of 6 knots); also interesting to re-read what Benoit reached 7 knots as low end with the 9m at its 88 kg. Hence maybe no need for a potential and inexistent 15m even for heavy riders.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri May 27, 2016 12:52 pm

On a surfboard you can definitely use bigger than 15m. 18m is pretty good. With the 22m Aurora1 I couldn't get the full low end as it was already falling out of the air far too easy in 7knots. Even in higher wind speeds it would often collapse on slack lines, I think the airfoil is just not stable enough.

I am getting a bit confused with these prototypes. Are they similar but just different ARs? or different kites altogether?

I would have thought that cord for the leading edge is more like 10g a meter. On the sonic it looks about 2mm thick and they use a lot, I would guess about an average of half a meter per cell.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri May 27, 2016 10:27 pm

Indeed these are the same kites (prototype names were Aquatik (written on the bag of the prototype that Steph received) then it was recalled Pulsion for "serial" production. Indeed each size has a different aspect ratio, since none is a "simple scale" as a lot kite manufacturer do to reduce costs. Each size has been adapted separatelly by Benoit to fond the correct balance fun/accessibility/performance as far as i know . And it is quite logical to decrease AR when the area decreases if speed is not the first objective. (Reason is that apparent wind direction is closer to real wind direction in higher winds, hence a possibility to"relax the perf and gain in stability, casuality.

I made a second ride today, at the Palm Beach of Cannes , now that cinema stars have left : -).
4-9 knots I would say, wonderful and it is my favorite foilkite now. I made a videos, that i will try to de-rush share at soonest.

Return to “Foil Kites”