Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Concept'air new Pulsion kite

Postby foilholio » Sat May 28, 2016 1:00 am

So the Pulsion is a different kite than the other concept air protos Stef used or uses that do geometry changes?

I think I see your answer before, one prototype was called "Smart Marine" this one was called "Smart Aquatic" and now renamed to "Pulsion". But the original Smarts all did geometry change including the Marine but not the Aquatic. A little confusing, Marine and Aquatic have similar meanings in english. Perhaps Benoit should not be allowed to name his kites :-)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat May 28, 2016 8:53 am

So let me do a bit of history from what i know and try to clarify :
- initial kite was the "smart" open-cell kite, years ago (2008 or so), for snow and land application only. Particularity : variable geometry = more arc when depowered = less grunt , extended wind range and better turning ability
- then around 2012 I would say, Benoit designed some prototypes of smart with closed cells, for water and waves application, called "smart marine". Very few prototype manufactured as far as i know. Apparently users found it great, but it has not turn to a lot of fabrication. I do not know why.
- then when starting hydrofoil Benoit developped its own kite (in addition to its participation to the liquid Force race kite), freeride ad user friendly hydrofoil orientated. He sent 2 protorypes to France by surprise with just a rapid mention "aquatik" on the bag , knowing neither if it will be produced and the relative future name. So discution on french"forums started around "Aquatik" . But actually it is not a smart as it has no variable geometry, hence far diferent design than smart and smart marine.
- when it came to production with exactly the same design, the official name of the Aquatik went Pulsion.

Cheers
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Sun May 29, 2016 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat May 28, 2016 11:14 am

Ok the forum got it wrong now I understand.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:55 am

Here you are : the first video from the Pulsion (static on the beach, and just a bit more a the very end)
No musique to hear the low wind and ... the planes :o
phpBB [video]

video with the foil in preparation :-)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Very impressive! On the beach it looked about 4 knots, riding about 6 knots? Would you demonstrate the drift next time? This may sound crazy but just park it at 12o'clock then climb up the front lines 10meters and let go. I am interested to see how the kite behaves.
Last edited by foilholio on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flyfish
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyfish » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:13 pm

foilholio wrote: Would you demonstrate the drift next time? This may sound crazy but just park it at 12o'clock then climb up the front lines 10meters and let go. I am interested to see how the kites behaves.
Regis Please, please do this! I am also VERY interested in how it drifts.
This could be my dream kite if it drifts well.
Thank you.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Oh and Regis when are you going to explain those pulleys on your rear lines? Just give a link to tubelesskiteforum if you have already there. Thanks

Noticed in the video there is a slight slack line test at 2:26. "devente" lull.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:50 pm

I confirm it is my "dream kite", cute wording : -) ;
I'll test this "slack line" operation. Today short ride with even less wind was promissing for this test IMO (But i read your message too late.
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Pulleys is just a trim system that I had in mind and now I test; but too soon to talk about it as it is not as I like for now ;

Today was irregular between 2 and 5 knots I would say, but with side-shore and high risk to put the kite in the water, so I only rode 100 meters and came back to shore like a "good family father" ; the kite withstood two full line slacks due to punctual lulls ( approx 2-3 knots wind ), both in deep water, but it kept its shape , fall gently during approx 5-6 seconds up 45 degree, then smoothly retensioned the line again to go back to zenith; I took it as a clear signal to go back to earth ... knowing that my beach is narrow and in between a port delimited by rocks and a Airport ...

Wind was capricious and asked me to work the kite more than previous times, but being so agile (the pulsion not me :wink: ) it was not a real problem; It would have been if I had to swim out from the shore against a on-shore wind; but it was not the configuration today with side-shore).

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:26 am

Wow Regis I was not expecting it to behave so well in such light wind, 5-6 seconds is very impressive especially keeping shape in 2-5knots. 5-6 seconds is very usable on a wave and would already surprise most inflatable users but is quite regular for good foils, I have even achieved 20-30 odd seconds before with 10 seconds regularly. Does Benoit plan to make larger sizes? This is sounding like a dream, fuck waiting for flysurfer and a psycho5!:-)

Return to “Foil Kites”