Gear: Flysurfer Physco 4, Speed 4 Lotus, Sonic 1+2
Flysurfer Flysplit M, L
Nobile T5
Nobile Infinity Split with Zen Foil, NHP Carbon Split
Slightshot hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

6m suggestions

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:07 pm

Looking for some 6m feedback. I need a good stable high wind kite that will be used with my 11m sonic on my road trip down to Argentina this fall. Since I'm learning to hydrofoil this summer I thought I could use the 6m now as well. I was planning on getting a Speed 5, since I want something a little easier for high winds/ease of use and I've had some recent issues with my 11 Sonic. How's the top end on the 6m's. Seems on FS website that the Sonic 9 has a higher top end than the S5 6m. Anyone get their hands on a Sonic 6m? Like to know how finicky it is. Also open to other brands if there's something out there. Thanks

=J-

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Re: 6m suggestions

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:18 pm

logsdon wrote:Looking for some 6m feedback. I need a good stable high wind kite that will be used with my 11m sonic on my road trip down to Argentina this fall. Since I'm learning to hydrofoil this summer I thought I could use the 6m now as well. I was planning on getting a Speed 5, since I want something a little easier for high winds/ease of use and I've had some recent issues with my 11 Sonic. How's the top end on the 6m's. Seems on FS website that the Sonic 9 has a higher top end than the S5 6m. Anyone get their hands on a Sonic 6m? Like to know how finicky it is. Also open to other brands if there's something out there. Thanks

=J-
As far as I know only Armin has a 6m, haven't heard of anyone riding one in the US and the north american distributor for FS lives around the corner from me. I rode the Sonic 9m on 17m lines this morning and it felt SUPER depowered compared to when I've ridden it on much longer lines (25m). I don't like how twitchy it is compared to longer lines, but you can handle a lot of power with it setup that way.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:58 pm

6m foil kites for an adult kiteboarder can be a little dicey. I had Pulse 6 and Psycho 4 6 and in the short term they were brilliant. But in the long term more trouble. They are much more sensitive to small changes in bridle line stretch and it sucks to have a small kite that stalls or pulls to one side when depowered because they turn fast and you are in high winds. Extreme L/D is less beneficial in high winds because appear apparent wind is less of an effect. Plus the high wind self landings - ugh. So I think they are better for very light riders in light to medium winds or buggy kiters.

If you are committed to a foil for nuke winds, I would consider a lower aspect open cell kite. Although you know if it hits the water you are done, you also know you can bring it down without any dramas. Ozone's internal reride system is awesome on the Summit. I'm not a fan of 5th lines, but is the most drama free foil kite landing I have every seen. So if the Access has internal re-ride, thats what I would choose because a water pack down and a swim is OK with me

Some of the lower aspect higher wind kites have less power per meter, so you might find an 8 works well. Speed 4 8 deluxe is my favorite kite of all time, but it is aging into the point that the magic is lost, and I'm trying to tune the kite to get it back.

I did get spanked really hard when a self launch went bad with my 10m Summit recently. I leashed suicide while launching which was dumb. But I left with the conclusion that in 25 knots plus I like the LEI ghost launch and land.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:43 am

The pyscho4-6 is awesome. What issues are you having with it? Restretching the bridles fixes most problems. You may need to do the Z mod as I explain here viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392205. Flysurfer uses the same size mixers on all their kites. The pulley lines will shrink the same amount, so the changes will be more noticeable on a smaller foil. Lastly if a foil isn't flying straight after checking the bridles and flying lines etc all match, you can make very small changes at the canopy to correct this. If you would like I can make a topic about it, I have a post here about itviewtopic.php?f=197&t=2390834. These changes could also be used to change the depowered arc of the pyscho4 and tip stability! Also add that because the psycho 4 uses it's inflated shape to support it's tips when depowered, when the kite becomes porous the structure of the kite is less firm and more likely to collapse. I think the best solution is to coat the fabric with a sealant. I have had good results with shoe goo in toluene viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392469.

I think the unity and pulse2 are also good options, I think the unity is more stable than the p4. What about an inflatable? Like a cloud?

Flyfish
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyfish » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:52 am

I have a 6 meter Unity. Love it. Can't complain about any attributes. Seem hard to find nowadays though.

Edit:
I mostly surf with surfboards, but also twin tip if the waves are out of control, and beginner foil board rider so I have used it in all Disiplines, but I find twin tip the best when I'm pulling the 6 out. It's usually so windy I can't ride waves. Also, I find my 8 pulse 2 seems perfect for the foil board. So really it's just my storm kite, but it handles that job perfectly.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:20 am

Forgot, as well the Pulsion comes in smaller sizes 3.69m and 6m.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:17 am

Someone stole the p4 6 out of my garage. I bought it for my daughter who never liked it. I had some epic sessions, but backstall became a big problem too soon. I regret that I ignored her over a year before someone took her away from me.

I fell in love with a 7m C4. Faster turning, better power and depow and just better usability for me in our onshore choppy waves and higher winds. But bladders man! A delam valve ruins your weekend.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:44 am

More power and depower than the pyscho4-6? so more range? I find that interesting and surprising.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Yes indeed pulsion exists in 6m and even lower. There is one test of the 6m here if you can read french :

http://www.lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... aquatik+6m

From what i read of speed4 dlx, the pulsion seems quite similar if you like this kite, keeping in mind that tje aspect ratio is smaller for smaller sizes.

You can also think of the s4 lotus 6m. One french rider sell one in france , i can give the link if you are interested.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:00 pm

foilholio wrote:More power and depower than the pyscho4-6? so more range? I find that interesting and surprising.
I think my choice of words was imprecise.

P4 6 had a much much stronger power spike if you loop it. But to keep the power you had to keep a high board speed. Too high for the water we are riding in and especially with out straps. C4 7 had more sheet and go grunt and better usable low end.

P4 6 had less rest pull flying static on the beach. It was much much easier to walk upwind. But it was nervous and if not flown actively could get power spikes. C4 7 had more immediate depower. Much easier to stay on a wave.

Return to “Foil Kites”