Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 6m suggestions

Postby Jollydriver » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:46 pm

How about HQ options.

Has anyone used a 6m Neo on a foil (specifically Neo2 or Neo3)?

How about the Matrixx 2 in 7m?

You would need to find the Neos used, but the Matrixx 2 should still be available new.

Best

JD

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:10 am

The neo would be a good option but isn't made anymore? Not many people doing small foils now:-(

jakemoore wrote:P4 6 had a much much stronger power spike if you loop it. But to keep the power you had to keep a high board speed. Too high for the water we are riding in and especially with out straps. C4 7 had more sheet and go grunt and better usable low end.

P4 6 had less rest pull flying static on the beach. It was much much easier to walk upwind. But it was nervous and if not flown actively could get power spikes. C4 7 had more immediate depower. Much easier to stay on a wave.
Did you try it on the heavy bar pressure setting? You are right psycho4s like to go fast but pair them with a large board and they don't need to as much. I start at about 15 knots on the p4-6 just barely going upwind. 18 to 35knots is fun and I can survive up to 45-50knots. I haven't switched around line lengths on it yet, I could easily make 40knots fun if I dropped the lines down the 12meters.

How does the C4 drift compared to other kites, speed4, or wave inflatables?

gl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer pulse 5,7, Speed 4 10, Speed 2 12, Peter Lynn Synergy 10, Concept Air Smart 4.5, 8.5, 12.5, water smart 6 and 8.5

Postby gl » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:22 am

I really like my conceptair water smart 6.5. I used it this week on a windy gusty day on a strapless surfboard. It has a large depower and is great at handling the gusts. I really like that it turns quickly but does not develop the power spikes like my flysurfer pulse 5 that might pull me off the board. I drift launch it most of the time, which it does easily. Landing is also good. I pull the strap between the outside lines and it comes down and stays down with some pull but not excessive. I find the only slight downsides are slightly higher bar pressure and a bit less upwind, although I have no problems staying upwind. Never took a wind reading so cannot say what the wind speed was but it was well over 20 knots but I do not know how high.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:57 am

Actually Water smart should be a killing in waves; but as far as I know it is not produced anymore, and replaced by the Pulsion, which has less bar pressure, more boost, but less wind range since no surface reduction when sheeted-out. I think that Pulsion is better for upwind freeride and foil but smart better for pure waves riding where boost/speed can be less adapted.

gl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer pulse 5,7, Speed 4 10, Speed 2 12, Peter Lynn Synergy 10, Concept Air Smart 4.5, 8.5, 12.5, water smart 6 and 8.5

Postby gl » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:19 pm

I do not know if the water smart is still being produced, I thought but was not sure that they were only produced in limited numbers, unlike the open cell versions that I have. The most important trait of the smart kite for me is the stability and gust resistance. Where I kite when the winds are strong it is usually quite gusty. The smart kite makes a gusty day much more manageable, enjoyable and safe. I wonder whether the pulsion in the small sizes will provide the same abilities. I have not tried one yet so cannot comment on it. Have you tried the smaller sizes? In any case based on my experience with Ben's designs I would be surprised if it was not a great kite.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:12 am

foilholio wrote: How does the C4 drift compared
The C4-7 is not a wave kite but in 20 knots plus it does fine. Probably need a pay little bit of attention to down loop before the lines go too slack. The C4-12 did not suit me for wave riding at all. I briefly tried a Reo-10. It is arguably a better wave kite, but the fact of the matter is I like a kite that is fast through the window and has lift when you give the kite airspeed.

So far, the Speed 4 8 deluxe remains my favorite kite. You can slack the front lines so loose its mind altering.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:34 am

I will have to switch my p4-10 to an oldspeed4 at some stage. As far as I have seen all the wave inflatables have poor lift, the high lift inflatables have poor drift. Only kites that have both are the psycho4-oldspeed4 and some other mid AR foils. Drift is more important to me than lift so I would lean heavily towards strutless inflatables. The Reo didn't impress me, but I should spend more time on it. When I see guys slack line it it always turns towards the water, so it doesn't look very good.

Adventure Logs
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: The world
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer Physco 4, Speed 4 Lotus, Sonic 2
Nobile T5
Nobile Split Foil, Carbon Split
Slightshot hoverglide
Flysurfer Flysplit M, L

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:50 pm

Well I have a Psycho 4 6m, actually the last one sold by FS HQ(I think it still has its 1 year warranty), but honestly I wasn't that impressed. I love how stable it is and how fast it flies but it really needs to be lit for me to get any decent power out of it. Jumps like shit and has a much bigger gap between my 11 sonic than I would really like. Plus now that my gf might be getting back into it, I would like it for her to learn and use too and I just don't see the P4 fitting that role as well as the Speed, Chrono, etc.

Had a Speed 4 10m DLX(non lotus) and it was an extremely stable kite. It could eat gusts or go slack without problem. Why I ended up getting rid of it was the fact it was easy to damage the internal webbing especially if you self land which I do at least 90% of the time. That ended up being a deal breaker for me and after my second major repair I ended up selling it.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Are you talking about the internal straps? My p4-6 jumps awesome.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 and 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board

Postby Johhnn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Well, if a Flysurfer 6 m could be anything like their Speed 4 8 m and 10 m dlx kites, I think it would be excellent. I have both the 8 and 10 and wanted to buy a 6 two years ago when I started foiling and realized I needed smaller kites. I got a Core XR3 6 m pump-up and it's really not good (for me) with the foilboard. When I'm going steady on a reach, the kite always wants to turn towards the water and I really have to concentrate on it hard to keep it level. It's a great kite when I can be on my twin tip, however. Then I really appreciate the turning speed.

I used my Speed 4 10 m dlx for about 3 seasons before it started acting funny--the wingtips droop downward when there is any depower applied. It's a sad looking thing and produces more drag than doing anything else. I wish I could rejuvenate it somehow. The 8 m which I've been using all year since February, to the exception of all other kites, is still going strong. Perhaps I have 200 hours on this kite?! Both kites are extremely stable in gusts, like tube kites really. I don't think they have the performance of the Lotus kites, but they're really great for gusty winds which I have and which is why I use them. Tried the tubes and during lulls they would just fall out of the sky. With the 8 on a hydrofoil I can ride down to about 10 knots, maybe even less, coasting through the lulls. It is a nice kite and I like it a lot.

I replaced my 10 m with a Lotus and, although I like it a lot, I have fears about stability in the long (and short) term. It's shape reminds me of my old Speed 3 12 m which was a great performing kite until it started front stalling (leading edge tips over and kite is unrecoverable). Despite many attempts at tuning it, I could never get the magic back. We'll see how the new kite holds up over time.

Return to “Foil Kites”