Pansh Genesis and some tuning

For all foil kite riders
kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Genesis and some tuning

Postby kitexpert » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:24 am

Genesis is a lame kite. I adjusted it (fixed Z and did some minor tweaks) and compared it to Access (which is a lame kite too) - Genesis loose. Personally I don't have much use or interest for this kind of kites but for sure you can learn how to kite with them or use them for some lazy driving around.

Bridle design in Genesis is what it is (like other Pansh kites) and should be redesigned from the scratch. Unfortunately it is unclear how much improvement could be achieved, less drag and cleaner look however at least.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Just to update anyone the Genesis has been updated by Pansh and flys quite well from reports.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Blaze3 2019 seems to be dirt cheap also, 8m kite $139.

Weird detail in the homepage picture is that some bridle attachment points are not where D-ribs are located. It is not very reassuring for potential customer to see clear design flaw or misleading drawing. Or could it be possible Pansh designers really don't know how D-ribs are supposed to be in a kite?

Bridle of the kite is from the late 1990's by it's design. Mixer is usual 2-pulley and apparently ok though.

Other than that kite looks ok. By redesigning the bridle (more canopy curve, 40-50% less line) there might be some potential in it.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:31 am

I can't even see on the kite that it has D ribs... The bottom skin distortion does indicate that none are present at some of the bridles. Although the wire frame render does indicated that it is as you say it may not be so given other kites disconnection from diagrams like A15. Interesting find though, Pansh obviously is not designed to the same level as some others.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:59 pm

I sent an email to Pansh asking about smaller Genesis sizes, the answer back was yes, what sizes would be useful? I’m thinking a 3.5 for over 20 knot for use on a big wing.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:06 pm

3.5m is a massive drop from 6m. Ideally you would want something like 6,5,4,3. 6,4.5, 3.5 could work.

olebarry
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ireland
Style: Onshore dumpy beach breaks, small airs
Gear: Flexifoil Shiva 3D 2015 11m
Pansh Aurora II 10m
Gastra Spark 2013 7m
Best Guroo 2008 6M
Flysurfer Radical 5 138 * 42
Alpine Foil VR5 V2 with XLP wing
Has thanked: 0

Postby olebarry » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:07 pm

airsail wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:59 pm
I sent an email to Pansh asking about smaller Genesis sizes, the answer back was yes, what sizes would be useful? I’m thinking a 3.5 for over 20 knot for use on a big wing.
Having flown my 6m genesis with an alpine foil xlp wing in 20-27 knots the last day, I think a 4m may be a better size unless you were using a surf wing.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Yes 4m or 4.5 m would be great !

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:21 pm

I have a genesis here's my feel for it

1) doesn't turn at all. Yank on the bar as hard as you like nothing happens.

2) super reliable, never tacos, always relaunches great to have a mid aspect kite like this that you feel safe taking out to hydrofoil with

3) doesn't depower well, the kite is either "on" or "off" so there's no "feel" to the kite.

This is from I guess 6 months ago? anyway 100% would NEVER recommend the genesis as the handling characteristics are so bad. I think it turns slower than my 19m Aurora. If they fix the turning problem and the depower problems yeah it would be great. It holds air incredibly well while laying on the water, you can feel comfortable during a lull just letting it sit on the water until the wind picks up again, something I can't say about my aurora which fills up with water if very quickly if I'm not super careful.

Now as for tuning, I know you can adjust the camber pretty easily by changing the mixers but I don't know how you are going to get this thing to handle properly without a complete redesign of the bridle.

This is for the 12m kite. I know how pansh is they just xerox and copy their wings so there are certain sizes that are dogs for each kite they have. It's possible the smaller genesis kites are decent.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:59 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:21 pm
I have a genesis here's my feel for it

1) doesn't turn at all. Yank on the bar as hard as you like nothing happens.

2) super reliable, never tacos, always relaunches great to have a mid aspect kite like this that you feel safe taking out to hydrofoil with

3) doesn't depower well, the kite is either "on" or "off" so there's no "feel" to the kite.

This is from I guess 6 months ago? anyway 100% would NEVER recommend the genesis as the handling characteristics are so bad. I think it turns slower than my 19m Aurora. If they fix the turning problem and the depower problems yeah it would be great. It holds air incredibly well while laying on the water, you can feel comfortable during a lull just letting it sit on the water until the wind picks up again, something I can't say about my aurora which fills up with water if very quickly if I'm not super careful.

Now as for tuning, I know you can adjust the camber pretty easily by changing the mixers but I don't know how you are going to get this thing to handle properly without a complete redesign of the bridle.

This is for the 12m kite. I know how pansh is they just xerox and copy their wings so there are certain sizes that are dogs for each kite they have. It's possible the smaller genesis kites are decent.
:) Very much same observations for the same kite size. My first reaction was: WTF is this, this kite is junk. After tightening ridiculously loose brakes it behaved better but soft and slow it is. Also feel of the kite is distant, or there is not much feel at all. But I noticed this after using C-hybrid LEI so this may be slightly biased or too harsh for a cheap foil kite.

I think bridle redesign is not enough to make Genesis a really good kite, but noticeable different I believe so. I'd add some canopy curve and some cascades, but because cell count is low (and attachment points located how they are) there is not much else to do. Having 18 cells is a bit silly, but I'm not surprised, it is in line with Pansh designs.

Smaller sizes are very probably better. It is respectable if Pansh is ready to make small sizes on order.

Return to “Foil Kites”