windmlv
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Gordon's beach, LaVentana, Baja
Gear: Aguera 160, Spotz2, 9m Elf Joker 6, 11m Elf Joker 5, 13m Elf Joker 7
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Elf Joker 6 9m, my first foil kite

Postby windmlv » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:51 am

waiting for low tide tomorrow to find fill some sand in a bag. This all going against everything I used to do. Didn't ever put weight on my inflatables, just clipped them to a weight bag. Find that it doesn't take much weight on such thin cloth to make a pin hole. Guess I will have to get used to a new way of doing things. Watched a couple of the suggested videos. My North 5 line bar won't work so am trying to borrow a 4 line bar. Dreaming of an Ozone racebar. Wind tomorrow again. Dam, anxious to try flying it on land. With inflatables it is always about easing out the bar, this sounds different. Always keep tension on all 4 lines especially the rears etc.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:14 am

A pinhole won't hurt a foil. If you already have a weight bag use that. Landboarding I have used a shoe or another kite or my board. If your board was a directional you could use the no fin end or even use a twintip up side down, just fold the tip so the bridles don't get caught on foot straps etc. When the kite is deflated it takes almost nothing to hold it on the ground too. Should be able to downwind launch in a lot of situations with no weight. You can transition a tip weighted kite into a downwind launch.

Nem0
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: Fone Diabolo + Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus and Boost2 and Peak2 + Zian + Anton Bullet + Paipo

Postby Nem0 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:40 am

Have a look at this https://vimeo.com/142358807

windmlv
Medium Poster

Postby windmlv » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:38 am

First flight today on the lawn, wish I had a bigger lawn ) . Spent about an hour and half flying but 50% of that was with the kite on the ground.
Very light winds with the odd stronger puff. We call it the dreaded "bubble" as it was a nice 18kts on the outside ( too much for my 9m for now though ).
P1050201.JPG
The only way I could launch was dead downwind with no weight bag.
Managed to get it up by pulling on the centre lines. As it went up, it accelerated and overflew my head. That was a strange experience, not used to that.
It built quite a bit of power as it went up so now I know why you always see two foot tracks dragging through the sand from foil launchers.
Tried to keep tension on the back lines and could back stall it back down.
Tried to bring it to the edge of the wind window as in a normal tube kite launch but the wing tips would fold. Will have to work on that.
Overall it held its shape quite well but I didn't like the folding wing tips from operator error!
Will have to work on the overflying part as well.
Lots to learn but fun. My initial reaction is that it takes more pronounced movement with the bar or grabbing the centre lines etc.
Pic attached but my wife took it through the window. Hopefully, a better one soon.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:56 am

Awesome! :thumb: You'll really like foil kites once you get proficient, I pretty much don't intend to buy inflatables anymore unless something really cool happens in their development.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:03 am

See you don't even need a weight sometimes :-) leave the lines on and enjoy fast setup and pack down.

windmlv
Medium Poster

Postby windmlv » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:31 am

Second flight on the lawn, about 10 to 12kts, steadier.
First launch at 45degrees went into a spiral as soon as it left the ground. Hit the house but no damage, floated down onto the grass.
Second launch at 45degrees went up smoothly. Problem is, I don't know what I did differently. Didn't like the spiral!
Flew it for 40 minutes, played with the depower, on, off etc. Played with oversheeting.
This time it sat very nicely at 45degrees above the water.
Noticed that if overhead and I sheeted in to bring it back a bit ( backstalling ), then sheeted out it would accelerate up to 12 o'clock quickly and almost pull me up into a jump.
Will have to watch that carefully. Amazed at how quickly it moves and generates apparent wind = power.
Ready for a foil on foil session on the water?? Maybe, but I always take things slowly, learning as I go.
Thanks for all the tips.

Hey, I didn't have to pump up the kite!

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Melnragė, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: 5,5m and 8m BWS Aeneema. Ozone hyperlink 12m. Takuma V100. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:09 pm

I tried brand new Elf Joker 7 11m today with brand new regular kite bar. Got exactly same experience as windmlv first day :D Thought that the kite is out o tune, but looks like it's as ok as windmlv's Joker. We had gusty sideoff today, maybe 5-12 knots, that's probably the cause why I was so struggling with it. It overflies very easily, actually can't even say why, maybe because of gusts. Is that common that these kites are unstable in gusts? Another very big surprise was that when I tried to move it to side - wingtips just folded and kite collapsed. Is that because of gusts? Can't imagine how I can use it in water, today I wasn't able to walk with it in the air :D Hopefully after few more training on ground I'll be able to try it on water.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:50 pm

It over flys because it is high performance. Thin airfoil, higher camber, inertia will all make it want to overfly. Use some backstall to control it. You can also loosen Z to make it easier to fly if you want.
windmlv wrote: Problem is, I don't know what I did differently.
Keep it deep in the window with rear line tension till it inflates enough.

Return to “Foil Kites”