Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aurora2 19m vs A15 18m2

Postby foilholio » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:27 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote: After first trials, if bar pressure is too high for jumps, you can also try to put a not along the rear lines to lock the pulley at a certain bar stroke ( which will limit the turbo effect at maximum pull-in stroke)
So it only engages at maximum power? I think I would prefer a WAC line to that.

Macisback wrote:The Flysurfer 18m Speed 4 Lotus didn't lift me on the Zeeko Blue&White hydrofoil in 6-7 knots.
I rode 10-15m and was on the foil but then sank back.

I ordered a Low wind wing (Carver) that gets going at 5 knots instead of 7.

So I need more pull at start and more grunt once up.
You had/have a lotus? or just tried one?

I thought grunt was all pull especially when board starting? The A15 needs to be adjusted a bit to make it pull like a truck, shorten Z and add a WAC. If you don't care about turning you could flatten Z as well.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Larnaca, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish & North Kites, Flysurfer Boards, Zeeko Hydrofoil Gear
LWR and Micro Hooks
Dynabar fixed hook/sliding rings
Airstyle T-Handle and Grabrails

Postby Macisback » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:57 pm

Only tried a Lotus 18m. With pull I mean initial pull when diving the kite. Grunt is when the kite is parked or slightly sined.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Larnaca, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
LWR and Micro Hooks

Postby Macisback » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:01 am

I might decide to go for an Aurora2 19m2 in standard in the end.
It has lots of pull/grunt/float from what people that own it say. More float than a speed3.
I don't trust the ultralight bridles when jumping in 15-20 knots over shallow water and I don't think it's that much of a difference in standard quality.

As a Lotus 18 didn't work, I am positive an Aurora 19 with a bigger hydrofoil wing will do.
A little tuning of the bridle seems to be required, no problem.

Relaunch and turning might be the downside, but a pulley bar can fix that and reverse launch is a must anyhow.

I hope I make the right decision. 5-7 knots lowend is what I would love, at the moment with my Dyno 2011 18m2 and the small blue Zeeko wing and little practice of max 10 sessions a 1-1,5h each it's 9-10 knots.

Now a lot of people advise for the A15 18m, because it's more fun and easier. Need to sleep over it.

Couldn't find anything about Hangtime of the A15 18m. Anyone?

Momo_13
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Marseille, FR
Favorite Beaches: Marseille, FR
Style: Freeride, race, foil
Gear: Board : Ocean Rodeo Mako 150*35, Spotz 2013 foil , previously Cabrinha Raceboard 2011 183*59
Kite : Flysurfer Sonic1 11, Sonic2 9, Genetrix Hydra 8V5, Cronix 6. Previously Dyno 18 2011, Speed3 12, Speed2 10, Speed4 10, Speed4 8, Hydra 7 V4

Postby Momo_13 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:57 am

Hi,

I haven't seen a lot of review on Aurora2, but I don't think it's better than Speed3, which is a good kite.
I think Aurora2 std will be heavier than Lotus 18 (so difficult low end), and will have less depower (so worse high end, especially for foiling) than S4 Lotus 18.

Did you tried longer lines on Dyno ? It looks like it helps a lot to get 10m or more line extension on Tubekite for foiling.

I have the North Dyno 2011 18, and for 75 kg my low end is approx 8 knot on Raceboard (9 knots on Speed3 12). I find that the Dyno stay pretty good in the air on light wind.
On Spotz 2013 hydrofoil with 'Race' (big) front wing, I get 8 knot low end on Speed3 12 (didn't tried on Dyno).

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:26 pm

First you compare Aurora2 to speed3 then lotus :-/ have you ever even flown a Pansh kite?

Aurora1 modified is very similar to the speed3. A15 is comparable to the lotus. I would expect the Aurora2 to be better than the speed3 or at least the same. Both in Standard cloth are comparable to flysurfer deluxe. Ultralight is lighter than lotus and everything else but the Pulsion and single skins.

Also an 18 has a much better weight advantage than a 12.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
LWR and Micro Hooks

Postby Macisback » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:54 pm

I havent tried longer lines yet, as 8-9 knots is the limit where I can restart my Dyno! It simply won't lift out of the water anymore, whereas on land a start in the power zone (russian start ) will probably work from 7-8 knots - but once you drop it, that's it.

At the moment I am only thinking it through this way (ultralight is not a option for me - its simply not durable enough and I dont trust the slim bridles when jumping):

Pro Aurora2 19:
- More grunt/pull/float
Pro A15 18:
- Easier to use

I couldn't figure out if the relaunch on water differs that much and also I could figure out which of the two turns faster.

I want to use it in my absolute lowend, which technically is hopefully 5-6 knots on the Zeeko Carver wing, with 32m lines on a 2to1 pulley bar with modified bridles on the Aurora2 19.

As I was not able to get on the Zeeko Freeride wing with a Lotus 18 in 7-8 knots I am a bit reluctant to buy the A15 (even though longer lines and the new wing could be a game changer)

I dont think I will be overpowered in 5-12 knots with a 19m - in 10-12 knots I wasn't overpowered with my Dyno 18 (but must admit that in 12-14 knots I started to be a bit much and I prefered the 14m Naish Draft)

So, I am still not much smarter. The only thing I do not understand, why does the A15 18 cost more than the Aurora2 19? Not that it matters at that prices.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:52 pm

A15 has more cells (33 cells) than Aurora 2 (31 cells); seems Strange since Aurora has a wider span and AR, does't seem ?
Maybe that can explain the price difference, but I do not understand the philosophy ...

Macisback
Frequent Poster
LWR and Micro Hooks

Postby Macisback » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:56 pm

I went for the Aurora2 in 19m standard in the end. Paid 380 Euros, which is incredible!

As an old schooler the performance and float just sounded to good!

But ultralight is not for me, I need my kites durable.

I think it is also a really nice looking kite.

Now I only need to see if I need to tweak the bridles a bit or if it flies right out of the box and of course need to modify one of my North bars into a pulley bar. Havent made up my mind if 4 or 5 lines.

I am super keen on testing my new low end with the low wind hydrofoil wing now :-)
I hope 5-6 knots....

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:38 am

Hopefully it does what you want. You will definitely need a bigger wing to be going easier in those winds. There is a few adjustments you can make to help with lightwind. They all revolve around increasing camber.

I think the price difference is probably to do with the A15 being new and the Aurora2 being an update, also the price of the Aurora1 was quite a bit cheaper than the 2, maybe they don't want to alienate users too much expecting a cheaper kite. With 50% off the difference isn't much anyway.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
LWR and Micro Hooks

Postby Macisback » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 am

One of the fellas in the Pansh group has a Flysurfer quiver and has a Speed2 and Speed3.

He says water relaunch of the Aurora2 is like the ones of Speeds, all good, as long as you dont fill em with water to quickly.

Float is better than Speed3.
Turning is more like a Speed2.
Power to hold the bar down/steer like a Speed3.

He shortened the C-Bridle a little and reckons with some more tweaking he can get it to turn faster.

Sounds good to me.

Question is 4 or 5 liner bar - I am afraid relaunch after pulling 5th line could be more messy than flagging out on 4 line?

Return to “Foil Kites”