Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

15m Elf Joker 7

For all foil kite riders
WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Re: 15m Elf Joker 7

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:21 pm

I hope to ride it in our gusty 6-20 knots conditions at the lake :) I'll tell once I have chance to try it in those conditions. It's definitely only freeride in 6-10 knots with Joker 7 11m. Wondering maybe anyone tried Joker 7 18m in ultralight conditions like 5-8 knots?

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:39 pm

I tried it at the lake. Elf Joker 7 11m has massive wind range. It was like 7-20 knots and there were no probs handling it. Except for sure on low wind downwind angle wasn't impressive.

Actually I'm not sure that I mastered downwind course. I feel that I ride downwind much lower angle than I ride upwind, especially in lower winds. I go for several seconds straight upwind and then I spend few minutes to come back downwind. I simply pull bar and position kite near 3 or 9 in the window. There should be some better method.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:14 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:I tried it at the lake. Elf Joker 7 11m has massive wind range. It was like 7-20 knots and there were no probs handling it. Except for sure on low wind downwind angle wasn't impressive.

Actually I'm not sure that I mastered downwind course. I feel that I ride downwind much lower angle than I ride upwind, especially in lower winds. I go for several seconds straight upwind and then I spend few minutes to come back downwind. I simply pull bar and position kite near 3 or 9 in the window. There should be some better method.
Going downwind fast should result in almost the same leaned over body posture as going upwind...you're essentially tricking the kite into thinking it's going upwind by going so fast that the apparent wind shifts forward, this forces you to keep tension on the front lines by hiking out. This is how you can go at 160* to the wind downwind, you need to keep the speed on. If you touch down or slow down or raise the kite high, you'll have to ride more crosswind to keep the kite powered up.

It takes some getting used to, every time I'm in the "optimal downwind angle" mode, I feel like I'm holding on for dear life and persistently dread hitting something underwater or losing control because crashing at 30+mph really really really sucks.

But yeah, if you want to go more dead downwind, go faster :-p

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:40 am

Or go the lazy way downwind in stronger winds :-) just stall the kite directly down wind and sail with it :-)

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster

Postby WH Lithuania » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:15 am

Mossy's approach looks way more faster. I'll try this technique, but it's mind blowing to go faster downwind than the wind :D

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:30 pm

My suggestion wasn't for speed but just ease. To me there is 2 ways to go fast downwind, one is ride fast and the other is ride quite fast but fly the kite as fast/maximum pull as possible i.e. loop continuously etc. To me they seem similar in speed downwind but the looping one is easier to ride with but more technical to fly the kite.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster

Postby WH Lithuania » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Looping foil kite in light wind should be forbidden :D

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:Looping foil kite in light wind should be forbidden :D
Yeah, also keep in mind he's referring to a surfboard or twin tip, not a foil. You need to be going fast through the water with a foil to go downwind quickly.

This video is queued up to start at the final windward mark rounding of the hydrofoil pro tour race 16, so basically they tack onto starboard then bear away and go downwind as quickly as possible...watch their body position as they transition from upwind mode to downwind mode, lots of good downwind technique on display here. Nico Parlier is on the Orange R1V2, Johnny Heineken is on the Red R1V2 and Olly Bridge is on the Black Elf Joker7. I think this is the most exciting 3 minutes of kiteracing on the internet right now...

https://youtu.be/0RG-YrNkN3A?t=10m18s

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:18 pm

HUH? Looping a foil kite can be very effective in light wind. You can probably go faster by getting more speed and parking the kite but a good flying technique on the kite will keep pretty close. I am talking about quickest arriving directly downwind. One technique I like is to sort of edge sideways against the kite while it loops in almost the side of the window, riding is almost straight downwind. It feels like it's faster than the wind. There is probably a dynamic soaring component to it as the loops tend to work better in one direction than the other.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:24 pm

foilholio wrote:HUH? Looping a foil kite can be very effective in light wind. You can probably go faster by getting more speed and parking the kite but a good flying technique on the kite will keep pretty close. I am talking about quickest arriving directly downwind. One technique I like is to sort of edge sideways against the kite while it loops in almost the side of the window, riding is almost straight downwind. It feels like it's faster than the wind. There is probably a dynamic soaring component to it as the loops tend to work better in one direction than the other.
If looping a kite was the fastest way to get downwind it would be the standard in course racing. It's not...it's a novel way to go downwind when free riding, but it's not faster.

Return to “Foil Kites”