corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Many
Brand Affiliation: None

Open C Can be a Foil Kite?

Postby corbett » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:05 am

Hello guys,

on Facebook, HQ kites announced a new kite called "Topaz" but never provided photos or if it was a foil kite or not.

Someone asked on Facebook "is the new Topaz a foil kite or inflatable" and HQ responded "Open C design" and that's all they said.

Does that mean it will be an inflatable or does HQ USA who run the page, not have a clue what they're talking about?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Open C Can be a Foil Kite?

Postby foilholio » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:25 am

Open C is an inflatable term, but you never know do you?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:00 am

as far as I can tell "open c" was invented by slingshot in 2009 when they came out with the RPM. That year's RPM was halfway between a normal bridled kite and an actual C kite like the fuel, so they called it an "open c" because it's C shaped right but not entirely c shaped it's a bit flatter than that. But now I think when someone says "open c" what they really mean is a pure C shape with bridles? Who knows. Sure an "open c" can be a foil kite because as far as I can tell the only thing "open c" ever meant was that it was a marketing term. Correct me if I'm wrong. HQ kites have always had more of a C shape to them anyway. I don't really understand why HQ doesn't make their kites flatter so you get more performance from them. Anyway, that's my two cents.

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FS

Postby kitexpert » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:59 am

"Open C" is just a fancy name for a chosen canopy curve, which in that case is a opened C-kite shape. Meaning a bit more PA.
edt wrote: I don't really understand why HQ doesn't make their kites flatter so you get more performance from them. Anyway, that's my two cents.
The amount of canopy curve is a compromise, of course. Less curve, more PA, more pull - more curve, less PA but better turning of the kite.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Fone Bandit, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:52 am

Peter lynn Venom II was a foil C kite. So why not open C?

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FS

Postby kitexpert » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:00 pm

fun2kite wrote:Peter lynn Venom II was a foil C kite. So why not open C?
Venom is a C-kite, which takes its shape by the aerodynamical forces/supporting ram air pressure. "Open C" canopy curve is only achieved by using the bridle support.

Of course it is possible to achieve true C-shape with bridles but it wouldn't be a good design at all, wasting PA with added bridle drag.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:48 pm

Technically all kites are "ram air" as they use air pressure to support their shape, this includes inflatables. The difference is foils use it exclusively. That would differentiate ARCs by their use of spars and not their minimal bridle. Though sparred parafoils are still considered parafoils.

Bridled C kites are not a waste at all, by increasing the support the LE can be reduced in diameter. Then the speed is increased , weight reduced, balance improved, range increased and depower and power increased. It's like a win win win. For some reason , most likely incorrect info, kite designers get confused on the aerodynamic function of the tube and the amount of drag of a thinner tube vs some bridles and how to optimize bridle thickness to be structurally appropriate (hint they don't need to all be 4mm rope).

The reason bridles are so hated on C kites is it changes the feel, turns more pivot etc, and importantly tangles! If you are dropping kites lots bridles can become a real pain. A tangle on an inflatable can cause much more issues than on a foil, i.e. death loops etc.

Return to “Foil Kites”