Spleen door 164
OceanRodeo Mako King
Liquid Force Edge 146
Axis Vanguard 148
Axis Vanguard 136
Brand Affiliation: None

Pansh Aurora2 22m-first session

Postby EricSanders » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:29 pm

I went out to our local kite boarding spot yesterday evening, (Labor Day holiday), based on a 13mph wind report from a nearby airport. The wind meter held 10' above the lake surface showed about a 9mph wind, dropping to a low of 7 and high of 11. I had my two big LEI kits with me and luckily I tossed in my new foil as well. I normally put both my boards at the launch spot, but there were no other kite boarders there and loads of beach goers so I didn't trust my board would be there when I came in to switch off, so I only took my Spleen Door64 out. There were TONS of jet skis out so I didn't dare try any at-the-edge-of-my-skill-level moves that would cause me to drop the kite.

I have not performed any bridle modification, and didn't have any issues with the kite doing strange things. It flew very stable and WAY more forward into the wind than I was used to. For every two powered runs, I ended up doing a down winder just to stay reasonably close to shore. I should have stated at the beginning that I am NOT a seasoned kite boarder so I can't give you any hang time reports.
Anyway, the other thing that felt immediately different was how much pull this kite has once you get moving. The pull also seemed much more consistent through lulls and gusts than a LEI.

I know I'll be cursing the kite the day I have to do a self rescue, but so far I'm really impressed. We get a lot of marginal days here in Michigan where we are 5mph shy of a kite-able day. This kite has probably just increased my kite-able days by 30%.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Pansh Aurora2 22m-first session

Postby foilholio » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:02 am

Wow Eric I am surprised you took so long to give it a try ! You sound happy but not ecstatic. What expectations did the kite not meet?

If you want to avoid self rescue nightmares stay close to shore. Even I get worried about the 22m, it's a lot of fabric.

EricSanders
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Metro Beach Detroit
Favorite Beaches: Tawas, OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade Trigger 7.0
LF NRG 10.0
Best Kahuna 13.5
Blade Fat Lady 17.0
Royal Rush 19.0
Pansh Aurora2 22m
Spleen door 164
OceanRodeo Mako King
Liquid Force Edge 146
Axis Vanguard 148
Axis Vanguard 136

Postby EricSanders » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:37 am

foilholio wrote:Wow Eric I am surprised you took so long to give it a try ! You sound happy but not ecstatic. What expectations did the kite not meet?
I was actually very happy how well it flew as well as performance. I hadn't tried it up until now because the times when I could get away to kite, it was blowing 15-20 so I would use my 13.5 and 17. We only have a patch of grass to launch on so I was waiting for a time where the winds were strong enough to ride, but low enough not to give me any heart attacks.

I didn't rave about the kite, not because it couldn't or didn't perform, it was more that I'm not really qualified to evaluate it fully. That being said, the things I mentioned that I did notice must have been really noticeable to impress me and my clumsy riding.
I do wish I would have been able to try my smaller board. I'm sure I would have had no problems keeping upwind with it. I usually just bring both to the launch site so I can easily swap out boards. There are usually plenty of other kiters there to keep eyes on equipment, but this time because of the low wind, I was the only one there. Not only that, it was Labor Day weekend so there were a LOT of beach goers milling about. I just didn't trust leaving my nice Axis board unattended.
With a wore out knee, (replacement scheduled end of November), and not much experience, I've been slow to progress getting any air. I did perform a transition that resulted in me leaving the water about a foot. It seemed like I floated for quite a while with that big kite overhead. It was really cool. Can't wait to do some proper boosting.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 am

Interesting ... is it light weight cloth or standard?
When you have the occasion, could you weight the kite on a kitchen balance ?

EricSanders
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Metro Beach Detroit
Favorite Beaches: Tawas, OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade Trigger 7.0
LF NRG 10.0
Best Kahuna 13.5
Blade Fat Lady 17.0
Royal Rush 19.0
Pansh Aurora2 22m
Spleen door 164
OceanRodeo Mako King
Liquid Force Edge 146
Axis Vanguard 148
Axis Vanguard 136

Postby EricSanders » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:56 pm

I got the light weight version. The kite weighs 3.4kg placed on the scale and the bar lifted off the kite, so the weight would include a portion of the bridle.
Last edited by EricSanders on Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:43 pm

It's no pulsion but definitely a good looking option. I would love to replace my Aurora1-22m , the full low end on it can't really be accessed with it's current weight. Trying to surf at the kite in 6/7 knots just becomes too much for it.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:04 am

Foilholio, have you already weighted the Aurora v1 22m ? I did not done it before selling it last year :( , the comparison would be interesting.

Also, do we know if the kite shape has evolved (appart from "modified" the bridles which is quite blurry) ?

I am hesitating to get one 15m ("for fun" no real need, but anyway): for kiteboat application (to preserve my Concept'air) and to test higher pull in very steady winds below 7 knots.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:52 pm

4.1kg after I swapped the pulleys to save 100g so 4.2kg with original pulleys. I would guess they changed the shape a bit, the arc is more but not funalex arc. I don't see why they would keep the exact same shape when they are already making other changes like the mini cells and bridle layout etc. It's a bit confusing they kept the same pattern, I guess the changes weren't major enough to warrant a full redesign. The Aurora was pretty good already, at that point major changes don't always bring improvement, but enough small iterations end up becoming major eventually.

Pansh are rumored to be coming out with a high AR closed cell kite soon. You can also get the A15 in ultralight too.

Jamie-NYC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Fire Island, New York
Gear: Best Kahoona 13.5m, 11.5m, 9.5m - Slingshot Turbine 17m - Pansh A15 18m

Postby Jamie-NYC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:26 am

foilholio wrote:If you want to avoid self rescue nightmares stay close to shore. Even I get worried about the 22m, it's a lot of fabric.
My summer kitesurfing is over after many sessions with an A15/18m. The very last session marked the very first time I dropped the kite. Jumped off a wave and was sloppy with the kite, left it overhead too long, and swung way under it in only 11mph of wind. It must have twisted 5 times as it drifted down to the water, and then kept going in a loop - not a death loop, just flipping over and over on the water surface. I quickly realized that if I didn't eject, the lines might well become too wrapped to slide freely, so eject I did. I was 150 yards from shore in surf, and unfortunately directly upwind from a swimming area - my first concern was keeping the kite out of that swimming area. I swam - dragging the kite - along the shore to clear the people in the water, and my kite was helped ashore by a friend on a knee board.

The experience gave me considerable pause. I kite in the Atlantic ocean, often getting as far as 1/2 mile out (in side-on winds only, never in offshore winds). I do not jump or take risks on the outside, only close to shore, but one day the kite will go down when I am out. Obviously, relaunch is the first choice, if possible, and might well be possible. But if not, how to get the kite back to shore? Does it turn out that my conditions and preferences are not well suited to a foil kite? I don't know.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:29 am

I am surprised it twisted up like that. My A15 behaves very nicely on slack lines. Keeping it directly overhead(which you did?) and backstalling will help. When the kite is directly overhead it will hold its balance not going to one side, with some backstall it tends to drift better and you can keep an eye on it a bit deeper in the window. Inevitably things can go wrong and you need to back out at the first signs by cutting back and retensioning the lines, obviously in direct onshore this is not possible, dropping off the wave may work though. If foils collapse with or without line tension you want to keep the rear leaders pulled so the kite will open quickly and correctly when on the water or still in the air.

The fastest way to shore when you are far is to roll the kite up first. Which unless you have flotation is very difficult. You can swim short distances like you did without rolling but it is slower and gets much slower as the kite fills with water. You can also sort out tangles on the water, but without flotation you are likely to get tangled in lines and drown. My advice first is don't go far from shore and if you are wear flotation. Eventually you will get much better with foils and you may find the situation you ended up in was easily avoidable. I have only dropped my A15 about 2 times in the 20 or so sessions I have had on it. Both would be because of no wind. I go the kite onto the water so it was in a position to relaunch (i.e. flew it to the middle) and when the wind returns I just flew it again. There is techniques to fly kites off the bridles and self rescue, specific techniques to swim with kites, like dragging one sideways so there is less resistance and less water enters and ways to roll kites. I am not full versed on much of this because frankly I almost never use it. What I do know is never ever approach a kite with loose lines in the water, the day you may realized that is good advice may be your last, therefore always wrap your bar up. As to packing up try asking some hydrofoilers as they drop their race foils and tangle them almost continuously.

Return to “Foil Kites”