Gear: Nasawing
C-quad
Flysurfer Titan 12.5
Flysurfer speed 3 15
Brand Affiliation: None

FS speed 3 flying with flat leading edge while nose valve open

Postby Ivar » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:33 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and have a very annoying problem with my second hand speed 3 15m. Hope you can help me out!
Last week my brother released the kite after launch whitout the safety leash connected (stupid but ok it happened). The kite slid over the beach and i had quite a long and fast run to catch it. Some of the bridles were in a knot but furthermore nothing exciting. The next flight i noticed that inflating took a little longer than before. In light wind i never really pre-inflate but just go slow by holding in the steering lines and move it to the edge of the wind. During body dragging i noticed that the power and especially lift was greatly reduced. Back on the beach i saw that the leading edge was flat/dented/ hollow instead of nicely foil shaped.
At home i further inspected the kite, no visible damage, bridles untangled and the nose valve of the center air inlet was fully opened.
Yesterday I took the kite out again and it was still the same. It flies and handles properly but its a bit slow and waaaay underpowered with the nose dented. It looks like only the center inlet is opening up all the way. The other four inlets seem somewhat folded downward with the inner "black tubes" closing the valves being pushed outwards. Its almost like the middle inlet overpressurizes the black tubes of the other inlets while not being able to pressurize the kite enough to inflatie the leading edge.
Before the crash this wasnt happening. During the crash the kite came down, non attached, with 0 impact. While sliding it didnt rip either but something must have happened.
Could it be that the center nose valve was closed a bit before to allow the other vents to open up? The crash causing the valve to open? Powering/depowering/speeding up/slowing down, nothing improves the leading edge.
As i said the kite is second hand and i dont know about its previous usage but it was fine before the crash. I'm planning to do a mixer test soon as that wouldnt hurt.

Hopefully you can help me out!

Ivar

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FS

Re: FS speed 3 flying with flat leading edge while nose valve open

Postby kitexpert » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:30 am

Dented LE tells there is not enough pressure inside. The older/more used the kite (esp. Speed) is, the worst this phenomena gets :(

Foil kites just start to leak at some point too much. With paragliders they keep record of the flying hours and measure the air tightness of the fabric - when certain limits are passed glider is not airworthy any more.

Leaking fabric causes general problems for the kite: it makes kite soft, wobbly, slow, folds wingtips etc., it adds drag. Very bad effects.

If problems started after the "accident" I suspect there is also a tear somewhere, even though a small tear is not very harmful for the flying of the foil kite. Added with previous leaks it may be too much.

FS air intakes are simple and work very well, I haven''t heard any problems with them.

Read foilholio's post about recoating foil kites, he can give you help for the mixer adjustments too.

Ivar
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 11
Local Beach: Ijmuiderslag, Wijk aan zee noordpier
Style: Trying to survive style
C-quad
Flysurfer Titan 12.5
Flysurfer speed 3 15

Postby Ivar » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks for your reply!

Just found some photos and videos of another recent flight. They confirm proper inflation so it must be a tear somewhere! I"ll do another check at home, look into coating and check the mixer. Hopefully the kite can provide some more fun!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:27 pm

A change in behavior like that suggests damage. You say it dragged across the ground? I would look it over for small holes then. You start to get 10-15+ and they start to cause a bit of a problem. It could be a tear as well or even bad scratches . For small holes and tears you can just glue a tiny pieces of fabric on with e6000 or some thinned shoegoo/goop. It is an old kite so at some point the fabric becomes too porous and then the only solution is to recoat it. The speed3 always had dented LE when depowered, it was a feature to make it more stable. They should fill out when powered, but this won't happen when the fabric leaks too much. The center valve gets the highest pressure so that is why it opens when the others do not.

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Knysna, South Africa
Gear: old

Postby Blackrat » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:35 pm

maybe a stupid question, but you did close both the rear vents ?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Postby PullStrings » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Actually smart question.. :thumb: ....hey reminds me when people kept pumping their older models North kites and kite would not inflate fast at all
Dump (dumb) valve was left open :lol:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:04 am

I would guess he knows how to use the deflate valves correctly.

Ivar
Rare Poster
C-quad
Flysurfer Titan 12.5
Flysurfer speed 3 15

Postby Ivar » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Yes I do :P gonna check for leaks this evening...

Ivar
Rare Poster
C-quad
Flysurfer Titan 12.5
Flysurfer speed 3 15

Postby Ivar » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Ok did the checkup! I inflated the kite wit a model airplane which worked very well :D checked both sides for damage and found only one very small hole about 1 cm from the tip drain. 0 further damage.
Than I moved on with the mixer check. While fiddling with all the lines I noticed that on both sides the z line wasn't properly at the back of the bridle without the steering lines being twisted around its respective front line. Probably during the slide the kite has turned itself once between the lines. "Hopefully" this caused the A lines to pull the leading edge and its air intakes somewhat downwards, which might have caused the vents closing which i thought i saw happening.
The mixer check looks fine with one cm on B and 2 cm on C. Will try 0 0 setting later on.
Hopefully the twisted bridle was the cause... Otherwhise recoating is the next step... Although the fabrik isn't bad at all.

Ivar
Rare Poster
C-quad
Flysurfer Titan 12.5
Flysurfer speed 3 15

Postby Ivar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Finally some wind to test! The air valves open up better now but unfortunately the pressure inside the kite is still insufficient to keep the leading edge rounded instead of hollow. Some more experienced surfers checked the kite and couldn't find anything abnormal. Saw someone else with a flat front :lol: as well. Kite looked very new but unfortunately I didn't get the chance to speak to the person.
Just ordered 2 large tubes of marine goop, 2 litres of toluene and an el cheapo airless paint gun :D It might take some time before i get this done as I'm about to leave for 5 weeks. I'll post my results!

Return to “Foil Kites”