Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chronov2 Ultra Light Announced

For all foil kite riders

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Chronov2 Ultra Light Announced

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Chrono v2 made out of R1V2 material. From Facebook:

"Chrono V2 UltraLight out now!

​Ultimate all-round performance on any surface – water, land or snow

State of the art technology and Ultra Light materials

The Chrono V2 UltraLight combines our high quality lightweight materials used on the R1 V2, with the proven Chrono V2 design for the ultimate all-round performance experience.

The UltraLight version offers true performance increases and enhanced flying characteristics compared to the standard Chrono V2. It inflates quicker, launches in lighter winds, flies faster, stays in the air longer in gusty conditions, and is more reactive even in the lightest breeze.

Webpage: http://ozonekites.com/products/water-ki ... ltralight/"

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chronov2 Ultra Light Announced

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Wow it is certainly getting competitive in the foil market. Interesting some of the design notes about the Chrono 2, like dual air intakes. They mention custom design software made by them. I know Ozone makes paragliders as well, but still it is surprising in what seems such a small industry that they make their own software, I have seen flysurfer mention they have their own too. I would think collaboration would be cheaper and more effective. I see things like double cord wise ballooning mentioned from both flysurfer and ozone, so maybe they do use the same software. I wonder what that is.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:44 am

Why does Ozone not state the actual weight of the normal V2, and this lightweight version?

And what is the price?
The regular V2 is no bargain already.

Nevertheless I like this development for hydrofoiling (and snowkiting probably) to have better performing low weight kites :thumb

Flysurfer, please follow up with a Speed 5 Lotus or something ;)

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FS

Postby kitexpert » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:02 am

foilholio wrote:I see things like double cord wise ballooning mentioned from both flysurfer and ozone, so maybe they do use the same software.
Maybe, but I don't think so. They are two so big names with long histories with paragliders too. Probably it is economical to develop and use own design programs, not paying to someone else for it.

To advertise a new kite for the program it is designed with ("OZ-CAD") does not sound very relevant. Main function of the program is still to convert 3D model to 2D plans in 1:1 scale, without CAD it would be very difficult work.

"Double cord (chord ?) wise ballooning" sounds strongly technical marketing bs. There has been for ages parameters for ballooning/skin tension in design programs. The difficulty in mastering it is it's complexity: cell count, fabric stretch and airtightness, canopy curve and plan view of a kite, inner structures, airfoil and some other things have an effect for cell shape.

Other fancy names like "Rigid Foil Technology" for LE stiffeners, Sharp Mini Ribs (miniribs), "Performance double surface" (foil kites do have upper and lower skins), Automatic Drainage System (holes in the wingtips and cut rib ends) etc. etc. are a bit funny.

Actually it seems there isn't anything new in foil kites. Diablo-line was an exception, but it is mostly for racers. Long discussions of a conservative mid AR kite with light weight fabric are quite dull from designer perspective.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board

Postby mig27 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:31 am

Mossy 757 wrote:Chrono v2 made out of R1V2 material...

...The Chrono V2 UltraLight combines our high quality lightweight materials used on the R1 V2, with the proven Chrono V2 design for the ultimate all-round performance experience...
Was it not reported by the hydrofoil race team riders that this material overstretches quite rapidly on the R1V2?

Of course if you use it for free ride hydrofoiling and low-wind snowkiting only, the loads will stay low.

With many of Ozone's kites I have the gut feeling you as a customer are part of the test program...

But still something to keep in mind when buying such an expensive piece of equipment!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:31 am

kit?expert? wrote: Probably it is economical to develop and use own design programs, not paying to someone else for it.
Hardly. They most likely have some customization of existing CADs. Writing their own programs would be far beyond their small budgets.

gurke
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby gurke » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:55 am

mig27 wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:Chrono v2 made out of R1V2 material...

...The Chrono V2 UltraLight combines our high quality lightweight materials used on the R1 V2, with the proven Chrono V2 design for the ultimate all-round performance experience...
Was it not reported by the hydrofoil race team riders that this material overstretches quite rapidly on the R1V2?

Of course if you use it for free ride hydrofoiling and low-wind snowkiting only, the loads will stay low.

With many of Ozone's kites I have the gut feeling you as a customer are part of the test program...

But still something to keep in mind when buying such an expensive piece of equipment!

hmm , i only know one person who said this with the overstreching. Also i heared that it only was a problem with the prototypes and they changed the material afterwards.

The question is who will buy a Chrono v2 UL? The R1 v2 is not really harder to fly and probably doesn't cost much more.
If they would sell the chrono ul for the same price it cost right know, it would be a good option.

A kite between Chrono v2 normal and r1 v2 doesn't make much sense for me. Let's wait for the price :D

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board

Postby mig27 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:39 pm

gurke wrote:hmm , i only know one person who said this with the overstreching. Also i heared that it only was a problem with the prototypes and they changed the material afterwards.
I heard similar stories about the Sonic2 prototypes, but understood the R1V2's were production versions.
gurke wrote:The question is who will buy a Chrono v2 UL? The R1 v2 is not really harder to fly and probably doesn't cost much more.
I agree!
In the ultimate light-wind even a friendly kite like the ChronoV2 will be difficult to handle.
And if it matches the price of a equally sized R1V2 it will not make any sense indeed.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:53 am

I chose the Chrono v2 15 UL because it has the thicker bridles for less tangles dutability and longevity. The lower AR is better for freeride foiling. Also the pure race kites seem to depreciate in value much faster because they appeal more to a narrow race market where riders are sponsored and always seek the latest greatest gear. I think the Chrono UL will appeal to snow and land kiters for the same reasons.

Return to “Foil Kites”