Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My pansh Aurora2

Postby foilholio » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:30 am

Yes the Aurora will be quicker than the A15. Also note Pansh has a high AR race kite coming for water. I would be quite hesitant to jump on it though as the high AR kites seem quite difficult to design and make and Pansh is still a little rough round the edges, literally :-) Mind you the Pansh fixed bridle High AR socommk32 was flying looked pretty good.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:44 am

foilholio wrote:Yes the Aurora will be quicker than the A15. Also note Pansh has a high AR race kite coming for water. I would be quite hesitant to jump on it though as the high AR kites seem quite difficult to design and make and Pansh is still a little rough round the edges, literally :-) Mind you the Pansh fixed bridle High AR socommk32 was flying looked pretty good.
The Pansh Cerberus is a lovely kite. I rearly fly fb now but I do like to break it out every now and then.

https://youtu.be/22ZvuV5lync

It is easily a replacement for the sprint, a little quicker and much easier to fly. I tuned and flew a 7.4m proto for a national race and was on par with a fellow pilot on a vapor of the samw size just beating him to the finish. Not saying it's better could be down to pilot or shear determination.

However I have not heard any details or even had any emails about a new kite in the making.

What details are available I have no idea. But if they have listened to any ideas or feedback from my work with the aurora2, fingers crossed for a move in the right direction.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:02 am

That's the one. Pansh seems to have a lot of experience with fixed bridles. Going from fixed to mixer is not so straight forward I think.

I only know about the new kite from reading,and only a few have it. They do seem to listen, I get the inkling they may even spend some time reading forums :-)

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:36 am

foilholio wrote:That's the one. Pansh seems to have a lot of experience with fixed bridles. Going from fixed to mixer is not so straight forward I think.

I only know about the new kite from reading,and only a few have it. They do seem to listen, I get the inkling they may even spend some time reading forums :-)
Do you know who has it? I've worked quite closely with pansh on 2 projects and quite stumped why they haven't gotten back to me on this apparent new one. After the aurora 2 I sent ideas on a depower race foil to get nothing back.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Re: Test of pansh Aurora2 15m2 light

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:58 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:So ! I received the Aurora V2 , light cloth, 15m2.

Out of the bag :
- Only 2.7 kg on the scale , so one of the lightest kite on the market, similar to the Lotus weight
- One big zip opening on the central extrados (far more efficient than on the intrados of the Aurora V1) like Speed2, Chrono, Conceptair Pulsion
- Pulleys are now indeed lighter (plastic type like most kites on the market) and speed system is standard 4:2:1
- Trailing edge has double seems like some race kites (Sonic) and magnetic exhaust valves
- No Leading Edge stiffeners
- Appreciated Grid at each air inlet of the Leading Edge
- The bag is a simple square made of kite cloth, no hanging means

Generally I would compare it to the speed4, its shape being similar (AR and foil thickness).

I was able to launch it for static test, in 8-14 knots:
- Launch without any pre-inflation
- Self-inflation in about 15 seconds, so as quick as a speed 4
- Good stability even if this turbulent wind
- Can fly on front lines only if you gradually depower it
- I made a drift test by pulling about 1.5 meter lines in hand then released : almost perfect slack line behavior
- Sometime the extremity wings fold a bit, very similar to speed 4 lotus on that point I would say
- Slow turning, but my bar was 45 cm, a bit short for this big foil kite
- However loops were able easily even with 25 m bar. The light weight helps I think.

Then I was rode with a mutant TT / directional board ( Shinn Wave 148cm, 10-18 knots)
- Slow to launch the waterstart (still 10 cm missing on my bar which would have improved this). Same for rapid transitions, but in the end I felt the turn radius is only few impacted by the depower stroke on the bar ; hence I would conclude that it turns slower than a Pulsion generally, slower than a S4 lotus when powered-up, but better than a depowered s4 (useful on a hydrofoil or extreme light wind)
- Massive pull when the kite crosses the window
- upwind angle similar to FS speeds
- Good stability during the ride : I could feel in the harness the wind variations and turbulences, but the kite remained stable and I never had any frontstall or a drop of the kite
- After one big turbulence, the lines get slack, then the kite took its shape again without violent shock
- I had the same feeling than with my previous loved aurora 1 with optimized bridles ( Funalex) which is a noticeable improvement
- It needs a certain quantity of sand to not to slip on the ground during massive gusts (24 knots)
- Easy folding back thanks to the efficient zip

In a nutshell,
This is a unbeatable quality/price ratio, for a modern and light weight kite having a good stability, pull and upwind angle, direct out-of-the bag. Relative Slow turning radius shall be compensated by a large bar (55/60 cm) , so freestyle or surf is not its favorite application; For light-wind freeride and hangtime it behaves very good. Not tested for foil but I would say it should be considered for medium / heavy riders only.
Here is a 4-minute-video of the test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m2Jbcx ... load_owner

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Been thanked: 0

Postby Macisback » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Nice Vid! Cant wait to try my 19m Aurora2 (standard) on Snow.

I hope I get down to 6-8 knots on the big wing hydrofoil. Otherwise I will need to get a 15m Aurora2 lighweight (or maybe a Sonic or Speed5)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:44 pm

Macisback wrote:Nice Vid! Cant wait to try my 19m Aurora2 (standard) on Snow.

I hope I get down to 6-8 knots on the big wing hydrofoil. Otherwise I will need to get a 15m Aurora2 lighweight (or maybe a Sonic or Speed5)
No doubt about 7-8 knots to me. 6 maybe but without relaunch from water.
But for 5 knots you will need a lighter kite (aurora or a15 light, Pulsion, chrono 2 light, diablo, r1 v2). To me speed5 and sonic v1 are not part of them (maybe sonic v2 which is a bit lighter).

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:31 pm

Nice Video Regis, I like you include a drift test :-). The kite turns very well for the short bar setting you had it on. Like most all pansh products it looks like exceptional value.

socommk23 wrote:Do you know who has it? I've worked quite closely with pansh on 2 projects and quite stumped why they haven't gotten back to me on this apparent new one. After the aurora 2 I sent ideas on a depower race foil to get nothing back.
I cant remember sorry, I think I read it on the facebook page months ago. I am sure those russians would be involved.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:36 am

Nice vid Regis.
And finally someone who puts some decent music to it. :thumb:

gwicke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bellingham, WA, USA
Gear: Mostly race gear. Foil kites.
Been thanked: 0

Postby gwicke » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:06 am

Just got a 12m Aurora 2, also in the ultralight fabric. First impressions:

- Weight: 2.15kg
- The fabric is much stiffer and crispy. Basically the same as good quality silnylon spinnakers. Compared to the standard fabric, the ultralight fabric should stretch and distort a lot less under load. It will also take on less water. I would not be surprised if it was also stronger.
- The vents are covered in a much lighter and more open mesh than the relatively heavy and closed PVC mesh I have on my 8m regular Aurora 2. The new material is close to what Ozone uses. I cut large squares into the PVC on my other Aurora to improve inflation speed and pressure, so this is a nice improvement.
- Slick bridle, thin enough to minimize shrinkage.
- Bridle attachment loops switched from webbing to a more closed / non-woven material. Seems a bit stiffer, which could be good for weight distribution along the seam.
- No magnetic blow-out valves. This reduces weight, avoids the magnetic sand collection, and should make the kite hold air a bit longer, but also increases the risk of blowing a cell when crashing the kite hard.

Overall, to me the ultralight looks all-round higher quality. The fabric should perform better, and I expect it to have a longer useful life than the standard. If I were to get another 8m, I would consider getting that in ultralight fabric as well.

Return to “Foil Kites”