Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My pansh Aurora2

For all foil kite riders
socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: My pansh Aurora2

Postby socommk23 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:59 am

gwicke wrote:Just got a 12m Aurora 2, also in the ultralight fabric. First impressions:

- Weight: 2.15kg
- The fabric is much stiffer and crispy. Basically the same as good quality silnylon spinnakers. Compared to the standard fabric, the ultralight fabric should stretch and distort a lot less under load. It will also take on less water. I would not be surprised if it was also stronger.
- The vents are covered in a much lighter and more open mesh than the relatively heavy and closed PVC mesh I have on my 8m regular Aurora 2. The new material is close to what Ozone uses. I cut large squares into the PVC on my other Aurora to improve inflation speed and pressure, so this is a nice improvement.
- Slick bridle, thin enough to minimize shrinkage.
- Bridle attachment loops switched from webbing to a more closed / non-woven material. Seems a bit stiffer, which could be good for weight distribution along the seam.
- No magnetic blow-out valves. This reduces weight, avoids the magnetic sand collection, and should make the kite hold air a bit longer, but also increases the risk of blowing a cell when crashing the kite hard.

Overall, to me the ultralight looks all-round higher quality. The fabric should perform better, and I expect it to have a longer useful life than the standard. If I were to get another 8m, I would consider getting that in ultralight fabric as well.
The first issue I had was the intake mesh. It grates sand and dumps it into the kite. Maybe they listened?
I keep getting tempted to buy a light weight aurora2. But must resist , still need 15m diablo first.

gwicke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bellingham, WA, USA
Gear: Mostly race gear. Foil kites.
Been thanked: 0

Postby gwicke » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:26 am

gwicke wrote:Just got a 12m Aurora 2, also in the ultralight fabric. First impressions:

- Weight: 2.15kg
- The fabric is much stiffer and crispy. Basically the same as good quality silnylon spinnakers. Compared to the standard fabric, the ultralight fabric should stretch and distort a lot less under load. It will also take on less water. I would not be surprised if it was also stronger.
- The vents are covered in a much lighter and more open mesh than the relatively heavy and closed PVC mesh I have on my 8m regular Aurora 2. The new material is close to what Ozone uses. I cut large squares into the PVC on my other Aurora to improve inflation speed and pressure, so this is a nice improvement.
- Slick bridle, thin enough to minimize shrinkage.
- Bridle attachment loops switched from webbing to a more closed / non-woven material. Seems a bit stiffer, which could be good for weight distribution along the seam.
- No magnetic blow-out valves. This reduces weight, avoids the magnetic sand collection, and should make the kite hold air a bit longer, but also increases the risk of blowing a cell when crashing the kite hard.

Overall, to me the ultralight looks all-round higher quality. The fabric should perform better, and I expect it to have a longer useful life than the standard. If I were to get another 8m, I would consider getting that in ultralight fabric as well.
Went out for a short session in marginal conditions today. Out of the box the kite flies stable, no tip tuck or front stall tendencies, even fully depowered. Inflation with the loose mesh is quick. Looping on 20m lines & 55cm bar delivered predictable power, but at least in the light wind the steering input required was close to the maximum. A 60 or 65cm bar should make this kite more lively, and allow for easier sheeting adjustments in the turn.

I'm still very happy about the light fabric. In contrast to the regular fabric, it really repels water and dirt, and showed less creasing in the bottom skin. Definitely worth it.

gwicke
Medium Poster

Postby gwicke » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:40 am

Some more notes after a few more sessions with the 12m:

- The factory trim of all my Aurora 2s was a bit on the powerful, but not too stable side. At first, I ended up shortening B by about 3cm (extra loop at the mixer block lark's head), which eliminated tip tuck in gusty conditions, but also also lost power and made it easier to back-stall. I then added a block to move to a 6:2:1 mixer, and returned to the factory trim, with A and B even at top of mixer. This avoids losing power when sheeted in, but also shortens B relative to A-C by about 1cm for every 12cm depower.
- Had a handful of foiling sessions between 5 and 24 knots, using 15m lines and 70cm bar. I was definitely underpowered at 5 knots, but looping developed sufficient power to get me up on the foil. The 70cm bar definitely helps, although 60-65cm should be enough as well. In the stronger gusts the behavior was predictable and well-behaved. It didn't feel like I had reached the upper end of the range.
- The finish on the Pansh flying lines I bought along with my kite was of poor quality. The sewing broke on one of the end loops, and came partially undone on another, all in the first session with some wind. I replaced all end loops with my own zig-zag sewn loops and pigtails. The line material itself looks good.

Just got a 19m Aurora too, but haven't used it seriously yet. Weight is 3.1kg, also in the light cloth.

Finally, here is a spreadsheet with bridle measurements for 8, 12, and 19m Auroras. All with the mixer fixed at even, relative to A at each bridle row (unless otherwise noted). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =728660562

Compared to the Ozone R1v2 data, I noticed
- R1v2 has even angle of attack across the kite, while Aurora2 has ~4º more AoA at the tips vs. center.
- R1v2 seems to be trimmed more for stability, with B lower below the A-C line. This fits with the more nervous flight characteristics I saw early on.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:10 am

Great thread...seems like Pansh offers good value

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:45 am

The Pansh sewing on their sewn line ends is really shit! You can actually splice those lines but it is not easy, otherwise it is a must to sew them again before use.

Remember that the AoA on kites changes with flight, so what you are really measuring is the bridle angles. Different angles for different parts of the wing are very common. Due to the shape of the wings, tapered to the tips , the tips will always have more AoA than the center with the bar in. This will be the same on Ozones it's just the AoA with the lines even is most likely quite different from Pansh to Ozone. I take it you measured the bridle attachment positions on the kite? Could you publish them as well? I also guess your measurements are in millimeters? Also bridle positions and the kites sewn shape affect what AoA it will take. Flysurfer PA change kites have reduced AoA sewn into the tips with A positions further forward there than the center too, both will work to reduce AoA on the tips when flying on A or depowered.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:47 am

I suggested adjustments to the bridles to pansh and they came up with the v2 bridle.....which was nothing like the modified one i came up with. Lol. on my 15m
I shortened my b line by 51mm and z lines by 102mm and it flies brilliantly on a 55cm bar but a 60cmwould help it a little more with turning. Ive not had a wing tip tuck ever.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:00 pm

It's a nice general change you have done, B gets acted on more so more stable and then Z gets pulled more with more slack on C so the camber is higher and more to the rear, less stall more lift. You should try lengthening C and Z each 102mm instead. It will give you the same profile powered but with no depower change.

gwicke
Medium Poster

Postby gwicke » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:24 pm

foilholio wrote:I take it you measured the bridle attachment positions on the kite? Could you publish them as well?
I measured them on the 19m, and then scaled them for the other sizes (see the angle formula in column G). A-C distances are 128cm for A1-C1, and 103cm for A5-C5 (outermost complete row). As usual, B bridles are attached slightly closer to A than C, IIRC at ~44%. Across the span, bridle positions are in proportionally the same locations.

> I also guess your measurements are in millimeters?

Yes, all measurements in mm.

Regarding AoA / twist: The Chrono v2 has more twist built into it as well. Not nearly as much as the Aurora, but a lot more than the R1v2 (which has pretty much none).

Reasons I see for adding twist in a freeride kite:

a) make the wing tips more stable for freeride use,
b) increase power when looping tight, by reducing the portion of the wing that is backstalled, and
c) speed up turning by stalling the inner wing tip more easily.

Downsides are of course more drag (higher AoA at tip, increased tip vortex losses, more span-wise flow diagonally across ribs), and tip-first stalling in underpowered conditions. Not something you'd do on a race kite.
Last edited by gwicke on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

socommk23
Frequent Poster

Postby socommk23 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:17 pm

AoA twist is kniwn as "wash out" or "wash in" dependant on angle. Just so you know.

gwicke
Medium Poster

Postby gwicke » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:29 pm

socommk23 wrote:AoA twist is kniwn as "wash out" or "wash in" dependant on angle. Just so you know.
Yup. The twist I'm discussing is all wash in, with higher AoA near the tips.

Return to “Foil Kites”