Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

13m sonic 2 review

For all foil kite riders


User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5430
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: 13m sonic 2 review

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:40 am

It does only fill the middle of the kite, but it gives enough support across the chord that when you start the hot launch, the kite will sit up more into the wind, present the vents nicely and . . . fill quicker. If you just yank the kite off the ground, the vents aren't squished flat so it . . . fills quicker.

In a hot launch position, the Speed3's fill much quicker through the deflate valve than the intakes, which are annoying and fiddly to use in that position.

Each to their own ;) I try to figure out the easiest way to get the best result, as quick as possible.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:05 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 13m sonic 2 review

Postby socommk23 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:09 am

Maybe the design of the speed 3 is a bit of a fail then if it inflates quicker through the deflation valves rather than the intake valves.

I pretty much all the time sit my kites in the hot launch position. Lay it out and they inflate by themselves.

This pic was taken after laying the kite out but without flying it. Wind was too low to use the 8m but i had just recieved it and wanted to get it set up n tested.
20160923_153657.jpg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1843
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:20 am
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 13m sonic 2 review

Postby foilholio » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:17 am

I usually hold the middle vent up a bit to inflate the vent so it can catch air on it's own. This takes 5seconds or a bit more in light wind but beats having to walk back because the kite can't catch the wind. I also let the kite 50%~ fill on or near the ground when I launch. Foils have a thing where if you try to fly them with very little air inside they can actually deflate and then refuse to fill while still flying. It makes for quite a handful especially considering it usually happens in higher winds.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5430
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: 13m sonic 2 review

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:54 pm

socommk23 wrote:Maybe the design of the speed 3 is a bit of a fail then if it inflates quicker through the deflation valves rather than the intake valves.

I pretty much all the time sit my kites in the hot launch position. Lay it out and they inflate by themselves.

This pic was taken after laying the kite out but without flying it. Wind was too low to use the 8m but i had just recieved it and wanted to get it set up n tested.

20160923_153657.jpg
Or maybe an 8m Diablo is a higher AR kite with a lot less chord to prop up than a 21m? :roll:

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 am
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, LF, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 13m sonic 2 review

Postby joriws » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:48 pm

About deflate-valve. Usually when we hot launch the kite the wind is so light that it does not have enough pressure to prefill the kite or it would take looong time. So we prefill and fill by pulling front-lines ie running or skating.

User avatar
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 13m sonic 2 review

Postby davesails7 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Or maybe an 8m Diablo is a higher AR kite with a lot less chord to prop up than a 21m? :roll:
Makes sense. I think it just depends on the kite. I've seen the Speeds 3 and 4 go up and gradually fill the tips with no user input once the middle of the kite was filled. The race kites though have stiffer material and much different shape, so the wingtips get closed-off/folded-over and won't fill unless you fully backstall it.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:05 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 13m sonic 2 review

Postby socommk23 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
socommk23 wrote:Maybe the design of the speed 3 is a bit of a fail then if it inflates quicker through the deflation valves rather than the intake valves.

I pretty much all the time sit my kites in the hot launch position. Lay it out and they inflate by themselves.

This pic was taken after laying the kite out but without flying it. Wind was too low to use the 8m but i had just recieved it and wanted to get it set up n tested.

20160923_153657.jpg
Or maybe an 8m Diablo is a higher AR kite with a lot less chord to prop up than a 21m? :roll:
Doubt it. First launch for my 15m today. Zero inflation and it launched fine with no flapping or issues. Fully inflated in seconds without the need for backstalling it in anyway. So cant be that ^ .

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5430
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: 13m sonic 2 review

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Ok, whatever :D


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron