Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Launching Foil Kites from deep water (with Sonic2)

For all foil kite riders
Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Launching Foil Kites from deep water (with Sonic2)

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi everybody,

if some of you have the same problems like me, having great places for kiting around, but no kite spots to launch, this might be interesting for you:

We have done a how to video about launching in the deep water. Done with the new Flysurfer Sonic2 in 9 m² and the Speed 4 Lotus in 10 m² @ most below 10 knts of wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSY6GG3fzgs

There is also an explaining blog, with detailed pictures, but just in German, sorry:
http://kitejunkie.com/blog/?p=261057&preview=true

But there is also an old post with nearly the same content and a view less pictures in English:
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 44#p932444

Hope it helps and you can also say in the future:

Kite Spots? I don't care about that. :D

Bernd
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
bitxopalo (Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 am)
Rating: 3.03%

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Launching Foil Kites from deep water (with Sonic2)

Postby evan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Makes you wonder if it is possible to relaunch after a total packdown because the wind died and picks back up before you swim to the shore.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:09 pm

evan wrote:Makes you wonder if it is possible to relaunch after a total packdown because the wind died and picks back up before you swim to the shore.
The difference between a packdown and a water launch is really just bridle orderliness. I've never packed down in a way that I would have felt safe relaunching without doing a line layout first.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi evan and Mossy 757,

it is no problem to packdown in a lull, wait or swim around and then, when the wind is back, to launch again. I have launched again after packing more then 10 times.
I would not go distance as shown here:
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 3&start=30
if I wouldn't be able to do that. When I go distance, I am never more then 1/2 mile from shore (doesn't matter if offshore or onshore). When the wind is going down I will always be able to go to shore myself. Rescue with a boat should never be a planned option.

An important factor is to have at least 20 liters of board volume better up to 40. So you are able to lift the canopy when packing and you wont have much more water inside then when swimming off shore, maybe 1 or 2 liters, nothing which disturbs you when swimming or launching again.

If you want to be able to launch also after pack down on the water, it is important to first, be able to pack your kite with discipline and routine on land. If you can do this, with the time you can reach the same packing quality on the water. And another one, if the kite hits the water and you are not 100% sure if the wind will be back in 10 minutes, start to pack down after less than 5 minutes, otherwise bringing out the water will be much more difficult.

Happy foiling, swimming, packing, launching, foiling, swimming, packing, launching ... what you like :D

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:48 am

Horst Sergio wrote:I have launched again after packing
Wait till Pullstrings or PMU hear that. It's one of the many things I have said that made their heads spin. :lol:

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:15 pm

foilholio wrote:
Horst Sergio wrote:I have launched again after packing
Wait till Pullstrings or PMU hear that. It's one of the many things I have said that made their heads spin. :lol:
Hi, don't really understand. Why do their heads spin and can we help them to stop it, before anybody they get hurt? :(

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:56 pm

Simple, foil kites are too hard for them :-) and they don't believe anyone that is better than them.

I see you have already attracted Pullstrings :lol: in the other thread.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:57 pm

foilholio wrote:Simple, foil kites are too hard for them :-) and they don't believe anyone that is better than them.
Ah ok, I see, stories before I come to kiteforum. :-)

I have translated the résumé of the newer German version, see links in the first posting, as maybe interesting and otherwise somebody might think waterlaunch is a big story about effort. :)

Résumé

The wind was most time less than 10 knts.
Marko needed 10 minutes with his Flysurfer Lotus 10 m and his unfavorable board without volume and without experience launching in the deep water, but with a lot of experience in the shallow.

For me with much more experience in the deep and the FS 9er Sonic2 the launch takes exactly 4 minutes from the moment I put the packed kite on the water till I was flying on the foil. If the wind wouldn't be so low and if I needn't concentrate a bit to have a good persective for the gopro camera, I think I can do it also in 3 minutes. If you count around two minutes to swim out (deepening on spot and wind direction) the total maneuver takes 5 minutes.

I don't think anybody with a tube kite can pump up, wind off the lines and get on the board in much less than 5 minutes even if he is on a nice spot with enough space, not talking about the conditions we were facing, where many tubes did not even relaunch!

For more pictures of the day and the wind condition, check:

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 95#p952195

Q.E.D.

:D

MacG
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wabamun
U of A farm
Favorite Beaches: White Salmon Bridge
Manzanita
Tofino
Kanaha
Key West
Style: Snowkite; Freeride; Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus - 8, 12, 18m
Flysurfer Speed 5 - 6m
North Wham 5'7"
Slingshot 54" Dwarfcraft / Hover Glide NF2 foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MacG » Mon May 01, 2017 12:56 am

Thanks for the tips on packing and inflating. I exclusively drift launch at my place after some sketchy assisted launches by well-meaning family members. I have also found the high wind launches a bit exciting. Putting some water in the intake valves and only partially inflating may help out.

Question re: "On high wind conditions you may also attach your leash first of all to the chickenloop especially if you have a swivel in the leash".

If you are going to attach your leash to a partially unwound bar it sounds like things could get real fun if your launch goes FUBAR. What is the advantage of attaching early?

Cheers!
Cam

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon May 01, 2017 4:03 am

Attaching early benefits, you cannot twist your lines when unwinding. Bar is usually packed down with backstalled position so kite should not launch during unwinding.

Return to “Foil Kites”