Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Concept Air Smart Wave 6.5 & 4.5 & 3

Postby LesFoilZ » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:06 pm

plummet wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:10 pm
Have you tried it on a foil board?
I have not tested the 3m yet and I don't hydrofoil. They are 2 others French riders on hydrofoil with a 4.5 and they are quite enthousiastic about it. Our opinions are very similar after testing >> http://www.lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 8&start=40

I had another session on the 4.5 on Monday. Nice swell at the beginning and messy when the wind switched to mistral direction. Wind was 25/30 knots with lulls just above 20 and gusts close to 35 knots. Wind was quite strong and gusty at the end of the session and from on-side-on to side. It is really a very nice kite, very solid in the air and very fun. I was very comfortable in the gusts. Great high wind kites for wave riding. I had it in the water and relaunch is a formality (I had it in the water at the end of the session in small waves - in big waves, this will be more of a hit or a miss as with any kite but relaunch in small waves is very easy - I would say easier than with a LEI).

Stef

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:50 am

Hi Stef,

also excited about the 3 m². Thanks to your description had a little conversation via mail with Ben and told him on the end, that I like to order it, when it is ready.

Very interested to see how it will manage to hit the 40 knts mark on hydrofoil :D .

Not impossible to also take the 4,5 m² when I like the 3 m² and feel the gab to my 6,4 m² is to big.

Bernd

LesFoilZ
Rare Poster

Postby LesFoilZ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi Sergio,

I have not tested the 3m yet but I am leaving with the truck and the family to Galicia / North Portugal tomorrow for 3 weeks and I hope I will be able to test it (I am not with an hydrofoil so I need 30+ to fly it). It will be nice to drive South to Guincho (that would be a great spot to test it) but I am not sure I will be able to make it (maybe Viana could work otherwise we have a lot of strong winds here in the fall).

Stef

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Stef,

nice domicile and no problem, I can wait till you find your 30 knts or an kite foiler with 20.

Funny thing, I found an old magazin from 2001, where Concept Air already showed up with a kite called "Wave". That's something about product / corporate identity. Don't think there is any other kite / brand out there with 17 years of history. :D

kiteboarding.de-01-2001_Concept Air Wave.JPG
But actually I have something hands on, that is able to compensate nostalgic feelings till I get my 3 m² 2001 to 2017 Concept Air Wave ...

Kitejunkie's_Cory Roeseler 1995 Kiteski-20-footer.JPG
... just needs some love and restoration as the last 23 years haven't passed without some wear. 8)

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Horst I still have 4 different sizes of the Concept Air Wave that I pull out sometimes in the winter. I bought my first water relaunchable foil from Ben in 1999 and still use it to teach friends on the snow in winter. When I bought my first kite from them I could only find 3 manufacturers: Concept Air, F-One and Wipika. Tom James a windsurf mag. Editor helped me choose which to buy as there was little info available. I have bought about 20 kites from Concept Air and have had nothing but positive experiences in dealing with Ben. So you are correct they have one of longest histories in the sport. I too would like to try one of the new Smart waves in the small sizes. Just bought a Pulsion so will have to wait a few months.

LesFoilZ
Rare Poster

Postby LesFoilZ » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Here is a nice video of the smart 4.5 in 13-15 knots with an hydofoil in little waves wich gives good indications on how the kite behaves, in particular the capacity to drift and fly with slack lines (which is even better with a surfboard and higher winds):

https://youtu.be/UF-3DPomMsY

His intended windrange is 15-25 knots, which is close to my wind range for the 6.5 strapless with a surfboard. I tend to use the 4.5 above 25 knots. So with an hydrofoil, it is around one size down (there is a 3m so no worry -- that opens doors for hydrofoiling on waves in strong conditions).

I am not a lonely crazy believer of foilkites in waves anymore ... :-) 8-)

On the beach, I still have the usual questions so just in case:

- Yes relaunch from water is a piece of cake, easier than many LEIs
- Solo launch is very safe, even in strong winds (I am talking about 30 kts and more)
- Landing by pulling back lines or on the safety.
- You can land with an assistant too, no worry.
- Pack very very small which makes it perfect for travelling - easy to pack in your surfboards bag if you on a surf trip

Stef

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi Stef, what line length did you use with the 4.5 m Smart Wave?

LesFoilZ
Rare Poster

Postby LesFoilZ » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:54 pm

I use 21m but my next bar will be 18m ... although I never tried it with shorter lines. If I am not mistaken, the rider in the vidéo is using 22m but some riders on FZ use the 4.5 with 17 & 20m. Note that in this thread there is some tuning tips with pictures as well:

Concept Air Waves 4.5 tuning tips on LesFoilZ

I am still using the stock setting because I had no need to change anything but some hydrofoil riders prefers this tuning with a tighter turning radius. Both work, it is a matter of taste.

Stef

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:51 am

LesFoilZ wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:27 pm
I am not a lonely crazy believer of foilkites in waves anymore ... :-) 8-)
Thanks for the video and all the info.

And you have never been alone :) , already had a lot of fun with my 6 m² PS4 in waves 8 years ago. :)

Now ordered the 4,5 m² SmartWave and exited to see how it will feel at 12-35 knt on the foil. If I like it but need more high wind potential, maybe also the 3 m² will be ordered :D .

jannik
Medium Poster

Postby jannik » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:33 am

Hi Stef,

How much are you using the trim line? For my lei's I have removed the trim (very much like the BRM bar) and rely on the sheeting range. I have have a 4.5 and 6.5 coming and need to know if I have to install a trim system again.

Br jannik

Return to “Foil Kites”