Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peter lynn aero

For all foil kite riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Peter lynn aero

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:16 pm

socommk23 wrote:But how is peter lynn going to get 1 or 2 top riders to drop their own proven gear for the unknown in the hydrofoil world?
Kite performance is very quantifiable. It would just be a matter of approaching the guys he wants on his brand and send them a test quiver to take the Pepsi challenge. If they like the kites he puts them on a sponsorship contract.

The one problem with that plan is that I think most riders like/want to be on as close to the same gear as possible so that the races feel more one design BUT nobody wants to actually go to one design because they want development to continue. In this sense, Ozone already has a ton of inertia where even if there were to be a more competitive kite, the R1V2's are so good that people would probably prefer to be on the same gear as their buddy versus totally switching brands. I think if you offered every racer out there a 1 to 1 replacement of their gear with a Mike's Lab foil/board and R1V2's, there'd be very few people who wouldn't want everyone to all be racing on that stuff, if you know what I mean.

The kites would have to be a LOT better as a result, like clearly a dominant product to break the inertia of Ozone and F-one. PL would have to compete with FS on price.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
socommk23 wrote:But how is peter lynn going to get 1 or 2 top riders to drop their own proven gear for the unknown in the hydrofoil world?
Kite performance is very quantifiable. It would just be a matter of approaching the guys he wants on his brand and send them a test quiver to take the Pepsi challenge. If they like the kites he puts them on a sponsorship contract.

The one problem with that plan is that I think most riders like/want to be on as close to the same gear as possible so that the races feel more one design BUT nobody wants to actually go to one design because they want development to continue. In this sense, Ozone already has a ton of inertia where even if there were to be a more competitive kite, the R1V2's are so good that people would probably prefer to be on the same gear as their buddy versus totally switching brands. I think if you offered every racer out there a 1 to 1 replacement of their gear with a Mike's Lab foil/board and R1V2's, there'd be very few people who wouldn't want everyone to all be racing on that stuff, if you know what I mean.

The kites would have to be a LOT better as a result, like clearly a dominant product to break the inertia of Ozone and F-one. PL would have to compete with FS on price.
I think they will be more expencive than flysurfer, but deffinatly faster!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:13 pm

socommk23 wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:

Bold claim, the Sonic2 is a really good kite :thumb:

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
socommk23 wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:

Bold claim, the Sonic2 is a really good kite :thumb:
Flown a 15m sonic 2. Very nice kite indeed.
Own and fly diablo v1.
Seen the aero concept race and play on our club beach and in national races.
Aero IS faster.

However, as i will always point out, these are the uks top buggy pilots and peterlynn sponsored.

My money is still on the aero out of the 2.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:03 pm

I also thought that it was tough to break into the race scene because it's impossible to get a top rider to switch to your unknown brand. However, the Banga foil's success changed my mind. They came out of no where at the end of the 2016 season, got the top riders, won the world championship and made a huge showing in the top 10!

socommk23
Frequent Poster

Postby socommk23 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:34 pm

davesails7 wrote:
I also thought that it was tough to break into the race scene because it's impossible to get a top rider to switch to your unknown brand. However, the Banga foil's success changed my mind. They came out of no where at the end of the 2016 season, got6 the top riders, won the world championship and made a huge showing in the top 10!
Banga foils?

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 pm

top racers can figure out amount of improvement quite quickly. I seriously doubt that a serious racer who is in top 10 or so, finds out that he can gain 5% just by changing the brand would pass on this opportunity by staying with existing gear. I've seen one to go from chrono to elf to F1 to R1V2 inside of 2 seasons. money is a big factor of course, so sponsorship is important. however one design logic is a weak one at best.

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jollydriver » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:41 pm

socommk23 wrote:Banga foils?
Banga hydrofoils (not a foil kite) along with Mike's Lab hydrofoils were the two dominant products in the last couple of rounds of international level hydrofoil racing competition last year, pretty much replacing Taaroa and Spotz who previously held the majority of the top ten racing spots for the previous 2-years.

There is a good review on the Banga here: viewtopic.php?t=2395225&p=962386

I believe the position put forth is that newer faster equipment will be adopted by the top-10 racers if the results are there after only 1-2 rounds of international competition.

JD

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Maybe the best way to say it is that once one person shows there's an advantage the rest are very quick to follow, although getting that first successful rider on your gear is definitely a challenge.

socommk23
Frequent Poster

Postby socommk23 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:53 am

Uk peter lynn pilots have their kites.

https://vimeo.com/201570851

Return to “Foil Kites”