I bought a second hand 12m ozone chrono 12m v1 a little while back. Out of the bag and using my own bar the kite flew decently but seemed to be oversheeted (this is my first foil kite so at this point I am thinking like a tube kite). I had to pull all of my de power to get the kite to fly properly. I was happy with the performance of the kite but was experiencing some tip tucking that lead to the kite falling out of the sky.
To deal with the what I think is oversheeting I added extensions to my outside lines. This fixed the part where I would have to put de power on.
At this point i checked the speed system and it was not zeroed. So I did a bunch of reading and zeroed the speed system. I did not adjust the z line lengths.
When I flew the kite next, immediately there was severe tip tucking so I adjusted the z lines moving them closer to the kite by about 2 inches. The kite flew decently after this but now I was lacking rear line tension. At this point i realized I should not have lengthened my rear lines.
I took the pigtails off of the lines and the kite was back stalling badly and I experienced more tip tucking again. The problem I had in this session was that while I was setting up my kite got saturated with rain. Is it possible that when the rain got in the kite it stuck the two canopy layers together. I had the kite in the air but it was lacking internal pressure. Even when ripping on my twin tip the kite would not fill. I think the vents were blocked in some way. I did a jump and had the kite folded midway down on the landing. At this point I rolled up my wet mess and called it a day.
I am lost as to what to do next.
My plan is to check my bar for even length and maybe you guys can tell me if a stock ozone bar is even length. Also, from my understanding by zeroing the speed system I have lengthened c and b so z will need to be changed by a greater factor than c and b. Maybe I need to adjust z even more.
If that does not work I plan to try the long mixer test as Gunnar has described.
If anyone can understand my steps taken and guide me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I am an experienced kiter but I am inexperienced with foils. I bought this kite looking for a low wind booster and a light wind kite to ride with my hydrofoil.
Read the ozone speed system adjustment thread lower on this page then do the speed system zeroing and then the long mixer adjustments as per the factory specs. Then go out on a fine day with a DRY kite and play with the z line length until the tip tuck just disappears. It takes a while to get used to foil kites too. They need to breathe much more than a LEI, so don't choke them. Wet foils don't fly well in my experience. I also used to get tip tuck because of sand stuck in the trailing edge seam. In the end I got a fine soldering iron and put a series of very small sand-out holes in each of the last 4 panel seams where it would not tear and that has helped the tip tuck immensely. It can be frustrating but you'll get it flying good eventually. I'm far from expert but have learnt a lot about foil kite tuning in the last few months thanks to advice from this site.
sand stuck in the trailing edge seam. In the end I got a fine soldering iron and put a series of very small sand-out holes in each of the last 4 panel seams where it would not tear and that has helped the tip tuck immensely
I like that idea as did almost the same on a learning paraglider flown for ground handling on the beach, lending to fine sand inside migrating to the tips!
Any chance of close up photos of what diameter holes and EXACTLY where you melted them PLEASE!