Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leader Cruize : new Race kite from Concept'air

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Leader Cruize : new Race kite from Concept'air

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Benoit Tremblay from Concept'air designed a new kite, more race oriented than the Pulsion :

They tested it in a ski race and finished at 3rd and 4th place ( 2 Sonic2 won with professional riders and looooong skis of 238cm , but also other sonic2 behind with more standard riders if I may say)
Leader.jpg
Leader.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Sun May 21, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Re: new race kite from Concept'air

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:00 pm

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:59 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:20 pm
Benoit Tremblay from Concept'air designed a new kite, more race oriented than the Pulsion :

They tested it in a ski race and finished at 3rd and 4th place ( 2 Sonic2 won with professional riders and looooong skis of 238cm , but also other sonic2 behind with more standard riders if I may say)

Leader.jpg
Good to see more kite development. But being behind a kite that is usually behind the likes of fone/elf and ozone....maybe more work to do?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:23 pm

I think it is a bit early to judge, knowing that the 2 winners had apparently not the same skills and skis, while other sonic 2 racers arrived after; But it seems an honorable result for its first race;

However I would not be surprised if Benoit's philosophy is something else than the ultimate race kite, but rather propose a kite in between free-ride and performance for non-competitor , like the chrono 2 or sonic 2. I do not know to be honest.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:23 pm
I think it is a bit early to judge, knowing that the 2 winners had apparently not the same skills and skis, while other sonic 2 racers arrived after; But it seems an honorable result for its first race;

However I would not be surprised if Benoit's philosophy is something else than the ultimate race kite, but rather propose a kite in between free-ride and performance for non-competitor , like the chrono 2 or sonic 2. I do not know to be honest.
Chrono 2 is no race kite. But i thought the sonic 2 was a race kite.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 pm

As you just said sonic2 is maybe not the winner against elf, diablo's ...
I have also heard that in some situation is was a bit less fast than sonicv1 despite its higher AR. I may be wrong, it was just to illustrate that a petformance kite is not necessary the race winner of the year , but can accept a kind of "pleasure" or "accessibility" compromise like chrono v2 , sonicv2, navy2, and Pulsion in a more freeride oriented approach.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:50 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 pm
As you just said sonic2 is maybe not the winner against elf, diablo's ...
I have also heard that in some situation is was a bit less fast than sonicv1 despite its higher AR. I may be wrong, it was just to illustrate that a petformance kite is not necessary the race winner of the year , but can accept a kind of "pleasure" or "accessibility" compromise like chrono v2 , sonicv2, navy2, and Pulsion in a more freeride oriented approach.
socommk23 wrote: Chrono 2 is no race kite. But i thought the sonic 2 was a race kite.
Sonic 2 is definitely a full on race kite. I had a quiver of sonic 1's. The Sonic 2 is clearly faster upwind and downwind. My all time top speed jumped from 32.8 mph after over a year on Sonic 1's to 35.8 mph on my third time out on the Sonic 2.

Sonic 2 is also easier to ride than Sonic 1. From what I've heard, the R1V2 is also much faster and much easier to ride than the R1V1. The new race kites are faster AND easier to ride.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Leader Cruize : new race kite from Concept'air

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun May 21, 2017 9:49 am

So its name is Leader Cruize , available in 7m and 10m . A friend tested the 7m under 10 knots,
he is a beginner on a hydrofoil (7x2 hours in totality) :
https://vimeo.com/218222593

strange to see a 7m under this light wind.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Leader Cruize : new Race kite from Concept'air

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:46 pm

I have tested the 7m on the beach (11 knots) then hydrofoil (15-18 knots back to strapless after one year with straps) then TT (15-19 knots) ;

pro :
- impressive stability at zenith and extreme window even if you let the bar go ; excellent drift.
- fly fast when straight in line
- can turn very tight (helicopter turns without seizing pre-lines) on its wing but with almost no power when turns so tight
- impressive upwind ability in TT (and HF obviously)
- huge power in straight line and jumps high ; I think the low end is about 9 knots on HF and 14 on TT to stay upwind which is very good for a 7m kite.
- very short power/depower stroke (I think the trim system is not mandatory due to its little size + high AR = little chord

cons= most standard cons of a performance kite, i.e :
- on / off power on very short bar throw so if you use a bar common to other kites of your quiver, so you need to be very precise (not easy in downwind in waves for example) on the bar.
- to get a long hang time you need to release the bar throw during the jump to avoid killing the power, and make a large circle to repower before landing back to water (otherwise bad reception...)
- strapless HF is harder on gusty conditions (for my level at least)
- huge power difference between loops and straight line which gets the jibes on HF a bit more difficult as this 7m is very reactive so accelerate promptly. But you get rapidly used to that.

Overall I had very fun and confident sessions with the Leader Cruize (far more than with the more radical ELF Joker that I know), clearly faster than Pulsion, more on/off power if your command from the bar is not accurate ;
...and strange thing to experiment that the low end for planning and the low end to stay upwind is almost the same on a TT.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Leader Cruize : new Race kite from Concept'air

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:50 pm

2 new tests now with video to see the kite;
- with a directional board (appox 12 knots and everybody were with 10 to 15m kites):
https://vimeo.com/231188341

- with a hydrofoil , approx 11 knots
https://vimeo.com/231190173

Return to “Foil Kites”