For all foil kite riders
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby jakemoore » Mon May 08, 2017 3:31 pm

If too windy to feel safe in a self landing I would put it in the water rather than going to safety on land.

I do think flogging on the safety causes uneven bridle stretch and I have had broken internal parts on the safety line.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon May 08, 2017 4:18 pm

I sololand like this with speeds and sonic

https://youtu.be/VeUUsokZR00

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Mon May 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Good tip for solo landing.

Only problem is that i can't see clearly which lines u need to hold. All four lines, both rear lines or just one rear line?

For landing foils in the beach i use a sand bag and a caribiner, in land i use the Ozone stack, but in snow the only option for me is QR and this usually ends up in a bridle tangle.

Is that method showed in the video actally reliable in gusty mountain winds?

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:44 pm

I do believe also that releasing to the safety line while powered can cause bridle stretch its best to bring to edge of the window and then release. and as far as landing with the back lines its possible in the lower to mid windrange of the kite but in the upper range its too sketchy for me and i wont recommend it.

jakemoore wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 3:31 pm
If too windy to feel safe in a self landing I would put it in the water rather than going to safety on land.

I do think flogging on the safety causes uneven bridle stretch and I have had broken internal parts on the safety line.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Mon May 08, 2017 6:50 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 5:36 pm
Only problem is that i can't see clearly which lines u need to hold. All four lines, both rear lines or just one rear line?

Is that method showed in the video actally reliable in gusty mountain winds?
There are two variations. Go with all four lines but have one steering line separated from other three. Or only with both two backlines like in video above. Goal is to walk keeping lines tight about kite's span and then flag out to single steering line. Don't loop the lines around wrist or anything. Just grab and tilt your wrist 90 degrees to have better grip.

If before walking the span the kite launches be prepared to release all but single backline. That's why you keep it already separated. If kite starts flying it is hard to start grabbing only one line. And be ready to reel in the flagging backline.

I've used it in mountain to pack my kites many times. By reeling in it works on deep snow and with gloves on.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 pm

joriws wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 4:18 pm
I sololand like this with speeds and sonic
What is your wind limit for landing like that? I do backstall land in <15 knots, but in higher winds it really worries me to have the kite sitting there in hot launch position while I walk along the lines.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Tue May 09, 2017 5:56 am

There are a lot of variarions doable with single backline landing.

Low wind put backlines to ice/sand anchor kite backstalked. Walk with one line towards the kite and flag out if some problem. Otherwise walk up to kite and grab fabric to flag out.

On higher side if kite launches and you have backlines in your hand it will fly tailing edge first as line tension is there. All four lines at hand you really should have flagging line separated. If kite launches it will just pull bar a bit but immediately flag out with 3 other lines loose.

Higher side of wind I backstall from side of the window. It can be also done crashing kite for example at right edge to taco the kite and as fast as possible run with green line towards the kite and as fast as possible detach from the bar. From taco position kite most probably start rolling down wind.

So practise in low wind and try to find best way for you. Above works for me with Flysurfers.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby coffeeking » Tue May 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Some interesting ideas there. I've always used the edge-then-flag method with both arcs and LEIs but I'd flag to the bottom tip with the foil and top tip with the LEI (flips it round and dumps it on the beach pointing the safe way!).

In the past I've had the safety jam on the bar while releasing and spiral me down the beach, I've had the flag out line snap trying to water-ditch it (Arc 1120 in 25kts) and spent about 100m dolphining through the sea toward the beach. Any idea of back-stalling a kite in higher winds gives me red flags, Id rather risk flagging and stretching 10 euro bridle set than be eating a fence or (as is my current spot) an electrified railway near the back of the beach :D That said, I've not tried the Speed5 yet but 12m^2 of fabric is going to pull like a train regardless of how it's held unless it's flagged.

I've got an infinity 3 airstyle bar which seems to release to the front line to flag - looks like this has the potential to hold some power despite loss of the other 3 lines (I've had this arrangement on a previous smaller foil and the bridle held the shape of half the kite pretty well at decent power!). I'd much prefer to flag to a rear but that's not the design.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue May 09, 2017 1:37 pm

If you stretch half the A lines is going to cost more than 10 Euro. Then there is the value of your time tuning kite trying to figure where and why it doesn't fly right. Use the safety only in an emergency.

The backstall is the way to go, but you have to commit. Make sure to the suicide leash and donkey dick out so if it goes bad you just unhook to the leash.

And if too windy, I do the same backstall landing in the water upwind from where I plan to come out. Sometimes even ride downwind toward the exit while landing to reduce apparent wind. The litre of water that gets in and on the kite seems to keep it from flogging with bridle stretch and tangle. Rare to need this but it works if you are in a bind.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby coffeeking » Sun May 14, 2017 11:12 pm

Well that was an experience.
12m. New bar and lines.

Wind - felt like 13 gusting 20. Weather site suggests 18 gusting 27. Cross on, a bit holey, shifting 20 degrees in direction. Pretty normal "decent wind" here.

Launching - tried side window with and without assistance, almost complete preinflation. Assisted was impossible, unassisted went fine until a lull dropped it on its rear and it scooted downwind. Launched our there instead just fine.

In the air it was not comfortable at all. Kept folding tips. I kept some weight on the bar but that kept getting me lofted. Tried modulating the bar to ride through gusts and it kept overflying. Eventually made it to the water and it was practically falling out the sky then overflying. Eventually it overflew despite bar pressure and then bowtied. I released to leash and went home. Awful session. Investigating a bit later it might have had a minor bridle twist but I'm not convinced as I took the bar off and rolled up the wet mess without checking.

Return to “Foil Kites”