Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

For all foil kite riders


coffeeking
Medium Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby coffeeking » Tue May 23, 2017 12:28 am

I'll toughen up!
:D

cwood
Medium Poster
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby cwood » Wed May 31, 2017 6:32 pm

I call my 12m the miracle kite. Huge wind range and very well behaved at both ends of it. Such a versatile size. Something sounds amiss or the wind was absolute crazy fluky.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby coffeeking » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:11 pm

:) I can confirm that 14kts and a 160x38 TT is underpowered on the 12 with my weight :D

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 390
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 am
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: NY

Re: FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby windrider1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 am

160 by 38? is that just a plank of wood u cut out and made yourself? Sorry but that's too narrow to make sense as a light wind board . its the width of the board that's the important thing in a good light wind board . Think atleast 44cm .

coffeeking wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:11 pm
:) I can confirm that 14kts and a 160x38 TT is underpowered on the 12 with my weight :D

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:53 am

Re: FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:59 am

I have flown 12m Speed 5 many times on gusty, inland lakes. It is a pretty stable kite for a foil, plus it just boosts to the moon in gusty conditions and the hangtime is unreal. I weigh 175LBS and I regularly fly it up to 20 knots. Where I live the wind is overly gusty beyond 20 knots and I switch to LEI's for the higher wind speeds. However, I would prefer to stay on the Speeds for the sheer hangtime.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby coffeeking » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 am
160 by 38? is that just a plank of wood u cut out and made yourself? Sorry but that's too narrow to make sense as a light wind board . its the width of the board that's the important thing in a good light wind board . Think atleast 44cm .
Nah it's a Naish TT. And I'm not looking for a light wind board, I don't normally bother with light wind - there's nothing more dull, but I could have whipped out the surf board if I'd remembered to take it the 1.5 hour trip to the beach :duh: but it was forecast 18-26kts and certainly didn't end up there! Incidentally this board is usually better in lighter winds than my 128x42 on the same kite/conditions, i switched to the shorter board years ago when Arcs and Cs were the only kites available and depower was a myth & death runs unable to dig an edge were a real risk :).
Last edited by coffeeking on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby coffeeking » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:32 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:59 am
I have flown 12m Speed 5 many times on gusty, inland lakes. It is a pretty stable kite for a foil, plus it just boosts to the moon in gusty conditions and the hangtime is unreal. I weigh 175LBS and I regularly fly it up to 20 knots. Where I live the wind is overly gusty beyond 20 knots and I switch to LEI's for the higher wind speeds. However, I would prefer to stay on the Speeds for the sheer hangtime.
I'm getting more comfy with it, that's for sure. It's interesting just how much power is generated from the slightest movement but when not moving it's pretty powerless. I fixed a bridle twist and that seems to have stopped the initial issues I had with tip tuck, thankfully.

Now I can't wait to get out and get some wind.


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest