Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Line length, how is it measured?

Postby evan » Thu May 25, 2017 9:15 am

How does everyone measure their line length, is it the total length including the bar and pigtails or only the actual lines themself?

Since every bit counts when you are racing short lines it would be nice if everyone uses the same measurment method when talking about line lengths.
Attachments
line length.png

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Line length, how is it measured?

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu May 25, 2017 10:01 am

Hi evan,

in my eyes and I think most measure just the length of flying lines as shown on the right of your picture.

To have a real comparison (and to come to the full system length) you have to add:
- Bar line length which is nearly always 1,0 m +/- 0,2 m
- sometimes pigtails (from 0,2 to 1,0 m Flysurfer)
(- and depending of kind of comparison maybe the length of mixer and bridle to the inner A point of the foil kite itself.)

But for behavior on short lines the kite itself with its span and turning ability will be more important than mixer and bridle length.

But I think your right that it matters if counting 1 m Bar line + around 0,5 m for pig tail.

I used my Chrono v1 15 m² with compared to a modern race kite low AR and span on 12 m of just flying lines with around 1,5 m of bar and pig tails and it felt possible but short. Than I added 1,5 m of extra flying lines and it felt very comfortable, nearly too long with 13,5 m flying line :lol: . In comparison the 13 m² Sonic Race with its higher Span felt nearly shorter on the 15 m² flying lines I tried ... as far I remember.
So small changes of 1 m on short lines can matter a lot as also the kite does and therefore it is good to know how to measure and define to have the right comparison.

Happy cutting, splicing, boosting ... :D

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Line length, how is it measured?

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:31 pm

I'll just say that when I talk about my lines, I'm referring to the length of the lines when they're off the bar without pigtails or any of that, the way I made them by measuring out 17m then cutting the line off the spool. I use an Ozone race control system, Cabrinha's race bar is the same way, the bar-end lines are the same length as the center line depower system so all 4 lines are always the same length when making line sets.

Return to “Foil Kites”