Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Re: New foil from Ozone

Postby mgs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:49 pm

@Pitballdoug
A credit to you for giving it a go and for persevering, having always used LEI’s.
Out of interest at what point did you drop the HL?
With respect to the turning speed of the 12m HL as compared with your LEI's it’s probably just a question of adapting to it.
When I’ve been using my smaller Chrono's for a couple of sessions for example, then take out the 18m for a light wind session, the turning speed is considerably slower and have to get reacquainted with it again.As for bridles it “should” be a lot easier to manage as compared with the Chrono for example but there’s no getting away with it, bridles do need to be managed.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:59 am

I recommend practicing your relaunching, you’ll get it. I honestly don’t remember the last time I couldn’t relaunch. A little patience and a little skill and you’ll get it.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:22 pm

mgs wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:49 pm
@Pitballdoug
A credit to you for giving it a go and for persevering, having always used LEI’s.
Out of interest at what point did you drop the HL?
With respect to the turning speed of the 12m HL as compared with your LEI's it’s probably just a question of adapting to it.
When I’ve been using my smaller Chrono's for a couple of sessions for example, then take out the 18m for a light wind session, the turning speed is considerably slower and have to get reacquainted with it again.As for bridles it “should” be a lot easier to manage as compared with the Chrono for example but there’s no getting away with it, bridles do need to be managed.
For some reason I still have the interest to master this foil kite despite a few speed bumps after dumping it a cpl times on downlooping wingtip touchdowns (pilot error)so keeping on trying to conquer the challenge which I like about foiling and kiting in general.I also had a issue with one of my pulley binding in the speed system and shredding my small approx 30” line with the pully attached to it,again my fault,but a heads up to other HL owners. Just stupid little things that need to be sorted,kinda a different animal compared to my LEI to get used too,and riding strapless is a little tricky getting out of the water due to slow turning of the HL compared to my lei but once up and riding pretty much all comes together,just need more watertime that’s all will see.
FF798ED3-D485-448B-BB41-A3A9B560BDDF.jpeg

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Looking at your picture I didn’t take into consideration that you are foilboarding as well as riding strapless which adds more complexities and at the same time learning to master foil kites.
You certainly have a lot to think about.
With reference to the pulley binding, was that the result of a seized pulley or a misrouted line?
I’ve yet to see an HL at my local beach, so maybe I will be first if I ever decide to take the plunge.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:51 am

mgs wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:52 pm
Looking at your picture I didn’t take into consideration that you are foilboarding as well as riding strapless which adds more complexities and at the same time learning to master foil kites.
You certainly have a lot to think about.
With reference to the pulley binding, was that the result of a seized pulley or a misrouted line?
I’ve yet to see an HL at my local beach, so maybe I will be first if I ever decide to take the plunge.
Yep when foiling strapless bit trickier than with
a Front strap kinda have go into slowmo mode on water starts with a foil kite,as the dance step if you will to get going with a lei is a bit faster and easier IMO.the pulley got binded I think when launching it got flipped or tangled somehow and binded,you quickly know as the kite will turn worse in one direction causing damage quickly to the line,just one of those frustrating bridal management issues that new foil or perhaps veteran foil kite users have to deal with.If this foil experiment doesn’t pan out probably get back to a 12m boxer lei in its place,however sometimes think there’s a place for a foil kite but not so sure the associated hassles are worth it but will continue on to try to get it better accustomed too.

martino86
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Allround
Gear: Ozone Enduro, Lieuwe Shotgun, Firewire Evo
Been thanked: 0

Postby martino86 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:28 am

Are twintip or nugget riders also happy with the hyperlink 12qm as a lightwind freeride kite?
Last edited by martino86 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:47 am

Just came in from a sunset hydrofoil session with winds more in the force 2 than force 3 range. Zero whitecaps. Sensors reading between 6 and 9 mph. The 9 meter Hyperlink on 30 meter lines delivered beautifully. I nailed my first clean surface jybes. I can't see the need for a larger kite at this time.

martino86
Medium Poster

Postby martino86 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:09 am

Is anyone riding the Hyperlink for non foil purpose?

I'm really tied between the OR Flite 14.5 and Hyperlink in 12.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:34 am

martino86 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:09 am

Yes. I use it mainly for boosting actually :-) What would you like to know?
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 09.33.39.jpg

--Gunnar

martino86
Medium Poster

Postby martino86 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 am

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:34 am
martino86 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:09 am

Yes. I use it mainly for boosting actually :-) What would you like to know?

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 09.33.39.jpg

--Gunnar
I'm riding 7/9/12 Enduros V1 right now. I love my 9 and 7, they are wonderful kites. The 12 is a little to slow for me and the top end of the 7 is limited as I'm only 62kg. The 12 easily keeps me going in 11 knots but the 11 is faster and would do that too. That's why I want to go 6/8/11 oder 6/8/10 Enduros V2 + Lightwind Freeride Kite (15 Tube or 12 Foil Kite). Would mainly use my Lightwind kite for freeriding with my Firewire Evo in flat water or boosting with my TT. Does it make sense to have a 11 Enduro + 12 Hyperlink or are they just to close in terms of lowend? The problem is, that I still need a full 3 kite quiver of tubes (12-30+ knots) because I often go to spots where I'm not able to launch a foil kite. That's why I want to go 6/8/11. A Enduro 10 as my biggest Tube would probably be to small, not sure if it would keep me going in 12 knots. The problem with a 15 Tube is it's weight and size for travelling. Mostly I'm travelling with 9/12 right now, the Hyperlink would allow me to travel with 8/11 + 12 Hyperlink and gain some lowend. 8/11 + 15 is too heavy and actually there's no space left for a 15 in my luggage. So if the Hyperlink 12 can replace a 15 Tube then this is probably my lightwind kite to go. Just scared that the Hyperlink might be to slow for me.

Return to “Foil Kites”